The R-77 'ADDER' - History, Design, Performance & Discussion

Then it should have improved motor and seeker, lofting is accurate for R-77-1.

1 Like

Then it should also have accurate naming too, lol. If it was officially acknowledged to be R-77-1, then a vast majority of the community would want to have AIM-120C-5 (whatever variant got a motor upgrade).

4 Likes

All ARHs look pretty much like c&p of each other, especially seekers and controls parameters. This test feels more like for gameplay testing rather than missiles tests themselves.

Yeah Derby, R darter and MICA all have the same visual model of AIM 120

Maybe just a hint that more modern variants might come, who knows. Maybe they accidentally swapped the mesh.

Well, high off boresight capabilities are gimped, R-77 should be capable to be launched at least up to 90° on side

in game

R-77

R-77-1

currently the AIM-120A feels much better than the R-77, maybe you’re coping?

2 Likes

That’s really not an achievement since all of the missiles climb up to 50kft and then drop like bricks if shot at 20mi+

shooting them at long ranges is the bad way to go, personally i think its better to just use them as you would sparrows but fire and forget

2 Likes

I use them exactly as I would use sparrows or 27ERs for that matter, neither the sparrow nor ER climb to 50k and lose all their speed even when shot out to 30+ mi in the case of the ER. All the ARHs loft way too high and aggressively and I have noticed don’t really course correct until Pitbull.

Also doesnt look like the R-77 has grid fin drag profile.

I wonder, who was it that said the R-77 was gonna get modelled with all the advantages of grid fins and none of the disadvantages again?

2 Likes

Why R77 doesn’t have any sustainer? Is it historically accurate?

seems like AIM-120A AMRAAM seems to hit a lot sooner than the R-77
of all FOX-3, the R-77 is the worst, with the MICA being the best

The file data shows the length of missile, seeker performance, and engine performance matches standard R-77 / RVV-AE. Not R-77-1. Must be error in missile 3D modeling.

R-77 shouldn’t loft.

I think they modelled it, the R-77 has the most drag than all the other ARH missiles, and in side by side test firings it slows down much quicker and sooner too. For reference compared to the AIM-120 the R-77 has a higher drag coefficient value and higher diameter (typically for BVR missiles with larger diameters they have lower drag coefficient values).

Do you know what the pros/cons of the fins of R-77 are compared to normal fins? All I can find is more drag

The grid fins are more efficient at supersonic speeds however at sub and transonic speeds they act basically like airbrakes. If I had to guess I’d say at supersonic speeds they can provide higher lift-drag ratio but that quickly gets eaten up by the drag at any reasonable speed

1 Like

main pro is they require much less power to torque the fins which for soviet missiles was a big deal since battery limitations were always a problem. Also lighter weight electronics necessary to torque the fins.

4 Likes

Doesnt the missile stay supersonic %90 of the time anyway? You wont be firing it while going 200KMH

1 Like