The Ki-102 Otsu

Hopefully Gaijin does not insist that it was done a long time ago, and that they don’t want to continue that tradition. While I do want an AP shell I also a bit hesistant about guesstimating a shell when we have no performance figures to go off of. Though I suppose a temporary placeholder shell could work.

While the AP shell is important, the armor of the plane and the bombloads should be really easy fixes.

2 Likes

I quite like Japanese vehicles; they are my most played nation after all, but Gaijin is really, really slow on fixing this. The Ki-49 and G5N are missing their proper bombloads I believe, and the Ki-67 rear turret is still bugged.

@Optical_Ilyushin Also are you the technical moderator for Japan?

1 Like

I’d say that the bomb payloads are even more important than the AP round. Not only does it add an actual capability to engage ground targets, but the AP round would likely be slow as @KillaKiwi pointed out, and hard to use.

I am honestly surprised that the Ki-102 Otsu has lacked its bomb loadouts for so long. They aren’t even that complicated.

4 Likes

Perhaps it would be best to separate the bug reports, a simple bombload fix would hopefully get passed quickly.

Also I realize that the Ki-102 actually does have the armor modelled, yet seems to catch fire and die too easily, I wonder why this could be

1 Like

Technical moderation staff isn’t strictly regionally assigned, I’m mostly just browsing the forums and this thread caught my eye. That said, if I can find something I can provide that is not previously reported, I can always forward the relevant issues (the lack of AP has already been long since reported for example, only really lacking more concrete details on the shell specifics.The lack of bombs aboard the Ki-102 Otsu as well as its vehicle class designation are also already reported, but more info is always welcome).

2 Likes

On a side note, what information is there on the armor of the Ki-102 Otsu? I’ve seen a couple things here and there saying that it is missing said armor in-game but haven’t found many details.

1 Like

Would making a new suggestion about the bombloads be helpful? I’m just frustrated about the bombload; it’s been like 7 years since it was reported, yet no fix. I suppose I was a bit to optimistic about the moderation issue, because I read that once the China tree received a new moderator, things moved much more quickly

The report for suspended ordnance has already been updated, unless new information is found that adds to the older report, I don’t think there would be much to work with.

2 Likes

According to this website, the penetration value of the 57 mm cannon is only 25 mm…?

1 Like

The Ki-102 Otsu, known as the Type 5 Twin-engine Assault Plane, is a ground attack aircraft that requires bombs, but I reported on an old forum that it cannot carry bombs in the game. However, even after several years, this issue has not been fixed. In recent years, War Thunder seems to have focused on modern jet fighters, leading to a perceived lower priority in addressing issues with World War II aircraft. Consequently, I distanced myself from War Thunder for a while. However, with the recent implementation of the Ki-48 and I-Go missile, my enthusiasm to play War Thunder has rekindled.

9 Likes

Well, the shell is freaking slow. It’s not an AT gun after all. It’s more akin to a infantry gun intended to fire HE rounds. The AP was good enough for pre-war tanks which only had 10-15mm of armor or armored cars.
For the Ki-102 the AP round would have little use, except for attacking small ships and boats.

2 Likes

Or just give it the 57mm heat from the type97

2 Likes

It also says the Ho-204 could penetrate 45mm of armor at 500m.
Not sure if the gun used AP rounds but for whats it worth, the Ho-204 firing AP would be a lot more effective than the Ho-401.

The one advantage of the Ho-401 is that it brings a lot of explosive into the target, which can useful for destroying defensive positions. Maybe have some suppresive fire from long range before dropping bombs. A direct hit to un-armored vehicles would also be more destructive, meaning it’s going to be out of action for longer.

5 Likes

It’s just funny how the version we have is literally the ground attack version yet it lacks all ground attack capabilities 🤣

4 Likes

I should clarify that apparently, the shell penetrates 25 mm at 500 meters. It could also use the same ammunition as the 57 mm tank gun, according to this forum post.

Nevermind, @_qaz pointed out this was incorrect.

1 Like

That would definitely help the Ki-108 in the game

IMO Ki-102 Otsu will not really benefit much from an AP shell, as others said. However, it should be possible to just extrapolate the stats from the HE shell with a decent enough accuracy, but the devs do not seem to like doing this.

Regardless, bomb capacity is most important, as well as the ability to carry Ki-148. The former has been reported years ago with no indication of fixing, the latter could be with some book sources, but I suspect given Ki-148 is a specialized event vehicle, they will also not be inclined.

4 Likes

Any documentation pertaining to the presence of the Ki-148 for the Ki-102 will be welcome incidentally, as that can just be added to the missing ordnance report. That’s probably the best that can be done for now so that if ever they action that report, this particular weapon is at least not overlooked.

4 Likes

If the Ki-102 is going to get bombs, AP shells and the Ki-148, should it get a slight BR Raise (3.7 or 4.0) but it is also moved to Tier III so it can do tasks and events

2 Likes

That would actually be worth it.

I just don’t understand what is so hard about giving the plane some bombs. Maybe Japan doesn’t have a strong advocate among the devs :(

4 Likes