The Jaguar MBT - a jointly developed MBT by USA and China

Since unfortunately my suggestion wasn’t accepted i wanted to ask people here what they think about this potential (Premium) Vehicle for the USA or China (or both) and gather some feedback on it.
(Edit : Has been pasted to the Devs on old Forum several years ago already but nothing happened so far so guess we wont get it)

Imgur

The Jaguar was a joint Chinese-US main battle tank project carried-out in the 1980s, with the intent of modernizing the Type 59 tank and its variants. From a political standpoint, such an undertaking would have been virtually unimaginable, if not for the Chinese-US “Detente” policy established in the 1970s. The objective of this policy was to better-stabilize the global balance of power, by enhancing China’s status into a sort of a “buffer state” between the US and the USSR. Among other things, this involved the transfer of US military technology to China; the Jaguar was part of this legacy.

Development of the Jaguar began at some time in the mid-1980s, and was formally announced in late 1988. The two main contributors were Cadillac Gage in USA, and the China National Machinery & Equipment Import & Export Corporation in China. Though the Jaguar was already fully planned-out by mid-1989, the political fallout of the Tiananmen Square Massacre forced the US and Chinese teams to part company, and China apparently lost interest in the project. Undaunted, Cadillac Gage continued development of the Jaguar alone, finally combining the hull and turret in October 1989.

Though its development had been a complete success (despite the political turmoil that rocked it) no orders for Jaguars were ever placed. The glutted market of used tanks after the Cold War, frequently seeing fully-operational tanks sold at scrap value, effectively doomed the project.

In its assembly, the Jaguar was every bit as perplexing as the project that spawned it, being a Chinese tank upgraded with US technology, based on a tank designed in the Soviet Union (the T-55, which the Type 59 was a licensed copy of), and armed with a main gun originally developed in Britain.

The V12 diesel engine normally associated with T-55 variants was replaced with a Detroit Diesel 8V-92TA V8, generating 750 hp (which is the same engine used in Cadillac Gage’s Stingray light tank, but with a new hydraulic cooling system). The powerpack is coupled to an Allison XTG-411 automatic transmission, with 4 forward and 2 reverse speeds. The suspension of the Jaguar is the same torsion bar system from the T-55/Type 59, though Cadillac Gage also offered a hydropneumatic torsion bar suspension upgrade. Its steel tracks are also the standard for Type 59s, but the running gear has several different components, notably drum-style rubber-padded roadwheels.

Armament consists of an M68 rifled 105 mm gun, with a 7.62 mm coaxial machine gun, and a 12.7 mm M2HB machine gun on the roof. The main gun and coaxial gun are fully-stabilized, and as with most T-55 variants, 34 rounds are carried.

The exact qualities of the Jaguar’s armor are classified, though it is easily much better-protected than most T-55 variants. Other noteworthy protection features include an automatic carbon dioxide fire suppression system, spall liners, an armored ammunition compartment, provisions for ERA, and several optional NBC systems (including overpressure systems).

The optics and electronics on the Jaguar were all substantial improvements over the Type 59 as well, with passive thermal sights, a digital fire control computer, The Jaguar’s fire control system is the same model used on the Cadillac Gage Stingray.

The offered price for a Jaguar was $2.4 Million.

There were two distinct prototype models of the Jaguar, but no other variants are known.

Country of Origin : China/USA
Entered Service : Never
Crew : 4

Dimension and weight
Weight : 41.7 tons
Length (gun forward) : 9.6m
Hull length : ~6m
Width : 3.13m
Height : 2.62m

Armaments
Main Gun : Rifled 105mm
Machine Gun : 1 x 12.7 mm, 1 x 7.62 mm
Elevation range : - 4 to + 17 degrees
Traverse range : 360 degrees

Ammunition load
Main gun : 34 rounds
Machine guns : 600 x 12.7 mm, 3 500 x 7.62 mm

Mobility
Engine : Detroit Diesel 8V-92TA diesel
Engine power : 750 hp
Maximum road speed : 55 km/h
Range : 540 km

Maneuverability
Gradient : 60%
Side slope : 30%
Vertical step : 0.8 m
Trench : 2.7 m
Fording : 1.4 m
Fording (with preparation) : up to 4.5 m

Imgur

Imgur

Sources :

3 Likes

Source is Jaguar Prototype Main Battle Tank | MilitaryToday.com

This Page has some more Information on it as well

This would make a cool event vehicle for the monthly events we have now

1 Like

Hopefully it goes to both countries, would love to see it as a squadron vehicle

3 Likes

Very cool! Imo, dont like copy paste, I think this one should only go to the chinese tech. Great proposal, Why the hell would they reject this?

Pretty sure I’ve seen it proposed before. Probably why. Any repeats are just rejected to stop duplication.

2 Likes

would be interesting additions to either trees

Ahh I see, that would explain it

I think China needs it more too but it was finished in the USA

2 Likes

I looked it up and couldn’t find it in neither USA or China. Not in the list of previously suggested Vehicles of the two either.

Found it on Old Forum but says passed to Devs however nothing came out of it so far and its not listed here either as having been suggested before - since theres duplicate suggestion here as well for Vehicles from the Old Forum which haven’t been suggested here yet i don’t see why that would be a reason to decline it since it clearly isn’t one.

Its like four years ago by now and nothing happened

1 Like

So i guess we won’t get this one since it has been passed already several years ago and nothing happened so far and no mention of it here either.

Sad

1 Like

If it’s been sent to developers then it’s already suggested. Doesn’t need to be done again. That would be why it was rejected.

1 Like

Plenty things take years to come through. The skin was suggested first about 10 years ago, came last year.

Already Passed to Devs suggestions from the old-Forum can be remade on the new-Forum. Only already implemented and suggestions which violate / don’t fit our rules/guidelines will be rejected.

3 Likes

Ok