The AIM-9 Sidewinder - History, Design, Performance & Discussion

That is related to a separate report wherein the missile should not self destruct on break-lock… So that won’t change because of this patch.

Sad

the proxy fuse delay change is terrible.
Wouldnt be so bad if every top tier match wasnt a ww1 furball. I dont get the logic with this company, they want weapon systems to be accurate and realistic, but the enviroments they fight in are the complete opposite. So I have to fly around in my Tornado getting gun kills with my airship agility?

ATGM’s for example got a huge nerf when they were made more realistic, becoming useless in close quarters, but 95% of the enviroments they fight in are close quarters…

3 Likes

As I understand it, this is a description for the aim-9m-8 missile, can you give me where you got the information from?

The AIM-9M precise model is not given in the text.
It’s talking about the MK36 motor present on the 9L/9M and even 9X.
The mod (such as mod 8 and mod 11 in the text) are incremental upgrades on the motor. Those incremental upgrades reduced smoke and increased thrust over time.
For example:

• AIM-9L has MK36 mod 7 or MK36 mod 8 motor.
  • Early AIM-9M had MK36 mod 9 motor, which didn’t reduce smoke, while later ones were equipped with the MK36 mod 11, which did reduce smoke.
    -The AIM-9X is currently using the MK36 mod 71 motor. (to be verified)

AIM-9X doesn’t use Mk36, but a derivative of it. I think we assessed it uses an entirely different propellant type that has higher ISP and likely a different grain pattern as well. Totally different besides dimensions and packaging.

No, it’s just that the ir seeker was changed on aim-9m-8, but Flame2512 says that they also changed the motor.

And AIM-9M is used
“Rocket Motor, Mk 36 Mods 7/8/9/10/11/13. The rocket motor provides the
propulsion for sustained flight of the missile. The rocket motors (Mk 36 Mod 7 through Mod 13)
are solid propellant, high-thrust rocket motors that comprise the aft end of the AIM-9M. The Mk
36 Mod 13 rocket motor is used on the AIM-9M-10 configuration exclusively. It is a Mk 36
Mod 11 rocket motor retrofit with the new and improved forward hanger made with ALLVAC
13-8 wrought steel. A corresponding retrofit is made to the Mk 57 Mod 3 dummy/training rocket
motor to create the Mk 57 Mod 4 dummy/training rocket motor, which supports the build-up of
the AIM-9M-10 CATM (CATM-9M-27).”

The AIM-9X has a mk 139 motor of different versions, and the fact that it is similar to the MK36 mod 11 is a myth written on one of the sites.

1 Like

Ty for the information, didn’t know that.
I tried finding information on the 9X motor and just though that it was a heavelly modifed MK36.

It came from one of the papers in this folder at the National Archives: Sea Harrier FRS. 1 | The National Archives

It’s dated 1992, I think that might be before AIM-9M-8 entered service.

The AIM-9M seeker detection range should be twice as good as what it is now. That’s the TL;DR

1 Like

One problem Is understanding the block web have in game.
I’d like to know why gaijin doesn’t specify the variants of the missiles we have, with one exception being the aim7e-2

There are reports in for the 9M, thankfully the British compared it to the De-chirped 9L and deemed it to be of equal performance.

Here is a comparison of the 9L and the dechirped 9L (AIM-9M performance).

https://community.gaijin.net/issues/p/warthunder/i/PX7CKrwWNGdr

3 Likes

Was this thing about AIM-9B uncaging ever explained? Taken from: The AIM-9 Sidewinder missile - Information & Discussion topic - Aircraft Discussion - War Thunder - Official Forum @Flame2512 post on the old forum
jLedLQM
iY0ISqR

Seems there are multiple models of the AIM-9B, mod 0, mod 1, mod 2 and so on. I presume one of the final iterations of the AIM-9B had an uncaged seeker but at that point you just have the AIM-9E.

Might be true yet the F-5E document in question only mentions differences in motors, fuses, etc.

163427f46811355dd04bce1039203a5f
2191cd9fd2cbe78a93248d36cc948a9f

I have a question, is the Rb 74 (their sidewinder) for the Swedish tree, did the Swedish purchase Aim-9Ms and call them the Rb 74? I have a friend stating the Gripen definitely used the Aim-9M in the form of the Rb 74 (they had the same designation according to him), so I was wondering what sort of armament the Gripen would come to the game with.

US refused to sell them the M but apparently Sweden asked for the AIM-9Li which also featured irccm, unfortunately I couldn’t find anything more on this topic but it would be a good upgrade between 9L and IRIS-T for them in game

Spoiler

https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/pdfs/ADA278261.pdf

3 Likes

Thanks a ton! It would give me a good idea of what it may come with at the end of this year, either Rb 74 (Aim-9L/Li) or Aim-9M (foreign service and/or NATO compatibility) 👍

Anyone know how well the AIM-9P4/P5’s maneuver?

P4 retains same 22g lateral overload as older 9J/N/P series

P5 is said in multiple documents that maneuverability has been “enhanced” though nothing specific

4 Likes