The AIM-9 Sidewinder - History, Design, Performance & Discussion

There are reports in for the 9M, thankfully the British compared it to the De-chirped 9L and deemed it to be of equal performance.

Here is a comparison of the 9L and the dechirped 9L (AIM-9M performance).

https://community.gaijin.net/issues/p/warthunder/i/PX7CKrwWNGdr

3 Likes

Was this thing about AIM-9B uncaging ever explained? Taken from: The AIM-9 Sidewinder missile - Information & Discussion topic - Aircraft Discussion - War Thunder - Official Forum @Flame2512 post on the old forum
jLedLQM
iY0ISqR

Seems there are multiple models of the AIM-9B, mod 0, mod 1, mod 2 and so on. I presume one of the final iterations of the AIM-9B had an uncaged seeker but at that point you just have the AIM-9E.

Might be true yet the F-5E document in question only mentions differences in motors, fuses, etc.

163427f46811355dd04bce1039203a5f
2191cd9fd2cbe78a93248d36cc948a9f

I have a question, is the Rb 74 (their sidewinder) for the Swedish tree, did the Swedish purchase Aim-9Ms and call them the Rb 74? I have a friend stating the Gripen definitely used the Aim-9M in the form of the Rb 74 (they had the same designation according to him), so I was wondering what sort of armament the Gripen would come to the game with.

US refused to sell them the M but apparently Sweden asked for the AIM-9Li which also featured irccm, unfortunately I couldn’t find anything more on this topic but it would be a good upgrade between 9L and IRIS-T for them in game

Spoiler

https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/pdfs/ADA278261.pdf

3 Likes

Thanks a ton! It would give me a good idea of what it may come with at the end of this year, either Rb 74 (Aim-9L/Li) or Aim-9M (foreign service and/or NATO compatibility) 👍

Anyone know how well the AIM-9P4/P5’s maneuver?

P4 retains same 22g lateral overload as older 9J/N/P series

P5 is said in multiple documents that maneuverability has been “enhanced” though nothing specific

4 Likes

So, with the AIM-9M in game now, and likely coming on newer jets being released. There’s not too many more before the AIM-9X comes out. I’m not huge into the technical info like you guys but I was wondering… What are you guys estimated time for the 9X in WT, think next year, or maybe 2025?

We have the R-73 and the AIM-9X is slightly better. ATM the development of AAM’s seems to be
AIM-9M/Li/P-4, Python 3, R-73, and Magic 2.
Then AIM-9M-8/P-5, R-73M, Python 4, and Magic 2 with 50g overload and better IRCCM.
Then AIM-9X, R-74M, ASRAAM, Python 5, MICA IR.

Finally AIM-9X BLK 2, R-74M2, ASRAAM, IRIS-T, Python 5, MICA.

3 Likes

My current timeline is that we may begin to see Gen 5 IR missiles end of 2024. Aircraft like the Tornado Gr4 are going to be at an inherrently high BR due to their A2G loadouts and so are going to need an edge in A2A for that BR. I reckon in the Tornado Gr4s case it will be its 2x ASRAAM (with limited integration), especially as Aim-9M is not compatible with the airframe.

Aim-9X could be deployed on a similar “low performance” airframe at the same kind of time but im not sure on what.

3 Likes

From what i understand, the AIM-9M we got in game is already one of the lastest version of the missile.
But otherwise good comparaison of missile capabilities.

Still you should make 2 differents MAGIC 2 missiles. Or just say it’s the Magic 2 Fixed.

• The “base” version of the Magic 2 missile should have a better IRCCM (smaller IFOV and suspended tracking) as well as the 50G overload. It should also has a bit more range (still less than the 9L/9M), a shorter fuze (1.2s instead of 1.8s) and turn quicker off the rail.

• There is an “upgraded” Magic 2 mk2 that was developped and went into service in the late 1990’s before the MICA IR. This missile has a new and better seeker (no idea what) as well as better range (20km max range compared to the 15km max range of the MAGIC 2 and the 18km max range of the AIM-9L). But information about this missile is VERY scrase and hard to find.

Also you can add the IRIS-T alongside the 9X/R-74M/Python 5/MICA IR/ ASRAAM.
It’s not a step above those missile.
Even if it’s the most maneuvrable of all of them, it’s the shortest ranged. So it will be very good in dogfigth but pretty poor for medium range fox 2 shot.

Then the 9X block 2 (9X with lofting, datalink, loal) can come alongside R-74M2 (R-74M with better range :50km, new seeker and datalink/loal).
They’re not really a big step above the ones before but anyways.
(ASRAAM/P5/IRIS-T/MICA already have LOAL and 360°) so the upgrade for the 9X and R-74M2 is almost only “catch up”.

The real step up is (hypothetic) AIM-9X Block 3 with 65km range, ASRAAM block 6 with a top notch seeker, MICA IR NG with top notch seeker, dual pulse and 100km max range.

4 Likes

Maneuverability has increased since P-3, I don’t know the exact numbers but I’m estimating 25g.

Spoiler

5 Likes

An F-16 manual says its only the P5 that got enhanced maneuverability or at the very least further enhanced from the P4.

[EXPUNGED]

Spoiler

[EXPUNGED]

The report is from 1988, so before the AIM-9M-8 existed. It’s probably talking about the AIM-9M-4 or similar.

Quick on the draw there, my ears were burning. Ahaha

3 Likes

AIM-9X for AH-1Z when

4 Likes

I will say it’s probably worth FOI’ing the appropriate US Government Department for alot of these docs to ascertain their export status etc at this point.

Those late AIM-9B’s intrigue me. I’m curious as to how they perform.