The AIM-54 Phoenix missile - Technology, History and Performance

I thought that’s how all the proximity fuzes in the game function already. No?

Not necessarily, often the missile seems to detonate too early or far too late. Perhaps there are other issues causing this, maybe even the wobble issue or server problems. Either way - It MUST be reduced along with the warhead size if we want to retain an effective warhead on the missile.

what about TNT equivalent after changes?

By the way, the original Phoenix used both a radar and IR proximity fuse. The timing of the detonation should be quite advanced and jam/eccm proof already.

There is quite detailed information about some of the components. Here is the MK-334 impact fuse for the AIM-54.

Source

If someone can FOIA a less redacted version of this document, we could perhaps get real information on the lethal radius of AIM-54A/C warheads.

Aren’t you American?

Sure.

Does anyone have this book?
Friedman, Norman, The Naval Institute Guide to World Naval Weapon Systems 1991/1992 , United States Naval Institute, 1991.

1997/1998 edition:

https://archive.org/details/navalinstitutegu0000frie

1 Like

Though at the same time, the multipath height should also be reduced:

https://www.navair.navy.mil/foia/sites/g/files/jejdrs566/files/document/[filename]/FINAL%20VERSION%20Thesis_An%20Outisider's%20View%20of%20the%20Phoenix%202021-010204_0.pdf

1 Like

Source?

try to replicate that shot, see how the missile never reaches the target lol

Watch Gaijin immediately take action to implement this nerf to AIM-54, while the reports on G-limits, loft profile, and reduced smoke engine are ignored

1 Like

Also @sudo_su1 it has been pointed out that the C is using a directional warhead that increases its lethality even further. To my knowledge missiles in game act the same as any HE shell or explosive and do not have warheads filled with shrapnel. All you are going to do with this is make the missile even more useless… Great job…

Are you going to make the same report for the Fakour as well or nah ?

As I said, I fully expected the hate. But it must be done …

Already did:

They do not model warheads correctly… The rest of the weight of the warhead is just dead weight in this game

2 Likes

I understand, but that affects all missiles and it’s another bug report / feature request.

Multipath is less over water than hard ground in real life, Gaijin accepts that this is a game limitation as the different surfaces do not have difference in multipath effect in-game. Water being rough or smooth has an effect as well, and they do not feel the need to model this. As such the multipath effect over water is the same as it is over ground in-game.

2 Likes

Will be interesting, although sudo has made, I Believe 4 nearly identical reports about this since a few months ago and none have taken effect.

We will see I guess.

Sorry, PL-15, via pixel count of known photo and known reference.

Although it is an estimate, but we know for sure it has less volume than Aim-54.

This is the first one regarding AIM-54A
The other one was regarding AIM-54C, which was passed 15 days ago.
(They use different warheads)