The AIM-120 'AMRAAM' - History, Design, Performance & Discussion

It’s interesting, but unfortunately not super accurate. We know from primary sources that the weight is wrong for AMRAAM, and we have no launch parameters

this was late 80’s so likely a pre production missile’s weight was given

estimated production weight seems to have fluctuated throughout development before mass production began

Spoiler

My sources indicate that preproduction missile was ~300 pounds, climbed to 326 pounds for the AIM-120A.

@Ziggy1989 As a former physicist, you discredit yourself greatly by claiming Radars don’t emit light. Unless you were simply referring to the visible portion of the EM spectrum. Otherwise, radars and radios, do very much, emit an EM wave aka “light”.

good job @MiG_23M. i haven’t read every word of this forum post but it’s very evident one of you is being methodical in basing their arguments on source material, and the other is not.

3 Likes

I was not a physicist.

lol I chose it as my major in Associate of Arts because literally nothing else was available.

Oh you mean you are speaking for yourself. lol.

The radars used in military applications do not use electromagnetic transmitters to generate signals on the spectrum of visible light, neither does the receivers receive of such signals.

that’s what i just said.

4 Likes

The what do you want from me? I am busy.

Where in my comment that you replied to say anything about light? Your hyper fixation on broad outlook on the EM spectrum Mr. Physicist is pathetic.

We are talking about one military application that uses specific radio/microwaves frequencies. Why would we speak in the general terms?

Do you call radio signal a light signal?

2 Likes

When someone focuses on something erroneous you said it’s not a hyper-fixation.

Also this is starting to roll off topic.

its a dead topic, for now.

you keep bringing it up I said I can care less as long as GJ does not care let it be my warning.
But advertising unreleased, unannounced content is obviously what you did. There is no hiding it.

I am sure someone will bring you up to them, but it won’t be me.

2 Likes

Again, that’s not on topic and irrelevant. No one did anything wrong. Just so you’re aware I’ve been recommended by senior forum staff not to continue entertaining your antics.

1 Like

keep up the good work! I’ll be reading the rest of this thing when i get the chance. not an expert on radar or missiles, but i’m a quick learner ;)

1 Like

I’m not an expert either, just sharing sources and my interpretations. Rather let everyone read and see the basis for my opinions than to just say things.

that’s how a humble person does it, well done!

1 Like

Question. The British Tornado f.3 could already carry amraams? Or we need another version with an updated radar?
And the Italian one is already amraam capable?

I have no idea, probably a better question for the Tornado thread.

1 Like

As far as i know both F3’s are capable of carrying Amraams, difference is İtalian version never carried Skyflash SUPERTEMP on its service life but in theorically it can carry.

You can find better answers at Tornado thread like @MiG_23M mentioned.

1 Like

The Italian Tornado ADV cannot carry AMRAAM or ASRAAM. The British offered to upgrade the Italian aircraft to be ASRAAM and AMRAAM compatible, but the Italians decided the price was too high, so gave the aircraft back and got F-16s instead.

1 Like

Then i confused Skyflash with AMRAAM, thanks for correcting the misinformation.

It depends how Gaijin want to do it. They could say our current F.3 represents the entire service life and add them to it. Or they could add a Tornado F.3 FSP as a separate aircraft

I think the latter option is more likely because of how much of a step up the AMRAAMs and ASRAAMs would be (the BR would go up substantially).

See my comment above, the Italian Tornado will not be getting AMRAAM.

Smin says the current f3 won’t get AMRAAMs so it would be a new plane

2 Likes