The AIM-120 'AMRAAM' - History, Design, Performance & Discussion

Oh AIM-120A very high manuvering BVRAAM G limit 35G ?

and since AIM-120B to AIM-120D pull same AIM-120A ?

1 Like

The AIM-120 maximum overload is allegedly between 28 and 35G, the actual data is classified and unknown.

1 Like

We do not know, we are trying to find out. The AIM-54 is designed specifically not to lock a target until around 10.3 nautical miles as to avoid enemy having enough time to maneuver and dodge the missile.

Do you think developer could add a switch for Phoenixes to target small / medium / large aircraft, so it could go active earlier / later?

This is not something that could be done, the Phoenix was pre-programmed to lock onto targets at around 10.3 nautical miles to target on purpose. It may have been programmable, but it would be done missile-by-missile on the ground.

It’s so hard to answer, I think dev guess maximum overload of AIM-120 but don’t know it higher Super 530D, R-27R/R-27R1 & R-27T/R-27T1 ?

No, we know it has pulled 28G to hit a target due to public test data, but some documentation also claims 35G. We know that 35G is not the dual-plane limitation because that would imply it has a maximum lateral acceleration of just 25G and it is said to be more maneuverable than the AIM-7F.

So the simple answer is >28G. Likely 35G is the lateral limit according to Korean analysis of the missile.

1 Like

120A is supposedly 28G’s, and due to the clipped fins the C-D are supposdly 25G

what age is the 35G doc?

So AIM-120C-AIM-120D maneuvering lower AIM-120A & AIM-120B but range longer ?

The clipped wings does little to affect maneuverability because the missile is TAIL controlled.
Korean Study (Source for their information is allegedly a Korean copy of the TO-34-16C, published with permissions).

The clipped wings does little to affect maneuverability because the missile is TAIL controlled.
the tail is also clipped:

2 Likes

This WILL affect maneuvreability

2 Likes

The design of the missile is as such that missile is less stable when full on propellant, becoming more stable as propellant burns.

To remain maneuverable it has a tail control design, as the center of mass moves forward (and speed increases) the tail fins require less AoA to create similar torquing moments on the missile.

Further adjustments to the missile weight balance and design after C-3 actually improve maneuverability. The AIM-260 is a wingless design making extensive use of this principle - almost solely having tail control sections only.

2 Likes

I remember reading “enhanced kinematics” regarding the AIM-120C-5, likely the extended tail section restores some of the maneuverability lost from the AIM-120C-3 variant (if any) or is referring to improved performance when lofting due to the longer propulsion unit. Regardless, I do not think the clipped wings has any significant bearing on maneuverability… nor was I referring to the tail section as to infer it was not also clipped. The tail control design benefits greatly from the AMRAAM type missile layout.

AIM-120C (variant unnamed) has high-off bore capability, showing the improved weight balancing mentioned before and it’s enhanced maneuvering characteristics.

So they reimplemented the English bias system of the Sparrow?

“High-angle” off-boresight is not necessary for simple English bias at BVR. Usually this is only referred to in the sense that the missile is being used within active range. This is a capability only possible through an increase in the level of instability of the missile when motor propellant is full, owing to a bias in weight towards the rear that was capitalized on and possible due to lighter weight electronics… and later in the AIM-120C-5 a move towards a shortened control actuator section (SCAS) and longer rocket motor.

Comparing the DCS AIM-120 to the real thing based on confirmed sources;
AIM-120B

Spoiler

Weight [4]
DCS - 157.85kg
IRL - 147.87kg

G-Limit [Korean Source]
DCS - 30
IRL - 35

Booster Burn Time (Korean source says total is 6-8s burn)
DCS - 2.1s
IRL - 1-2s

Sustainer Burn Time (Possibly accurate?)
DCS - 5s
IRL - ~5-6s

Fuel mass (Correct! Hurray!)
DCS - 46.54kg
IRL - 46.54kg

It seems to me that the DCS missiles accuracy is based on outdated information, at the time it was made they had the best available information… I hope when the AIM-120 comes to war thunder we have a more realistic example of the missile than what can be found in DCS and so that’s what I’m striving for here. (Without the use of restricted sources).

1 Like

Their drag CFD is really cool though, great post!

1 Like

I have found a document that I think is very obviously detailing the AIM-120, testing was done in 1985 and the missile was simply referred to as “tail controlled missile”. In this document, it clearly states the missile was able to be rolled, roll stabilized, and maneuvered in combined plane on command.

This is the figures showing the missile design;

@tripod2008 @Fireball_2020 I think this definitively proves the AIM-120 should maneuver in combined-plane in war thunder. It also mentions instability and goes over how to control unstable missiles. All features of the AIM-120, at some point.

Proof of availability for public distribution
Here is the full document, starting on page 260

3 Likes