Targeting equipment- realistic or no?

I play a lot of naval RB. I also know a bit about the targeting and range finding equipment and the linked weapon systems. They all seem to function exactly the same in naval RB. Is there any modelling of the various systems and how they operated?
eg: Japan had a really good targeting computer for their big gun. But it was not at all simple to operate. The loss of some key crewmen would make it harder for them to aim. Also, from the Dreadnought WW1 era to present there are many improvements in systems. Again, any ship I use in WT seems to acquire targets the same. From a 1920s Japanese destroyer to a 1950s US destroyer.

That’s not the case, though. They simulate these differences with a use of Fire solution Measure accuracy, Fire solution calculation time and Fire solution update time. It’s very simplified, and you could debate numerous decisions they made, but it’s not true that the early-interwar ships have the same ability to acquire targets as the cold war-era.

2 Likes

Test drive (or sail if you have it) the HMS Tiger. I get full firing solutions in 10 seconds and it updates every four seconds. I can blast PT boats at 5km without breaking a sweat even if they are behind smoke and maneuvering.

More advanced targeting systems are modeled like that. They have more accurate solutions, obtain them faster, and update much faster than older ones.

2 Likes

From what I can tell, most ships are divided between two “tiers” of fire control systems in the game (pre-WW1 and post-WW1). The pre-WW1 has a target acquisition time of 20s and update time of 12s. The post-WW1 has an acquisition time of 15s and update of 8s. I don’t have the Tiger, but the USS Wilkinson seems to have a much faster rate of 6s target acquisition and 3s update.
The Japanese Frigate JDS Ayanami is somewhere in between, with 12s acquisition and 7s update

2 Likes