Tachikawa Ki-106.02

[Would you like to see this in-game?]
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

ki106-9
Tachikawa Ki-106.02 (立川 Ki-106)
The Tachikawa Ki-106 is a wooden version of the Ki-84 aircraft. The plane was created to replace the depleting stocks of duralumin with wood. Three prototype machines were created, but the project was interrupted by the end of the war. The Ki-106.02 version is the second prototype that differs in armament from the Ki-106.01 version
History
In the second half of 1944, the Japanese aviation industry began to feel more and more the shortage of rare metals that were needed for the production of aircraft. There were two solutions to this problem: the first was to replace some machine elements with wooden substitutes, and the second solution was to build an aircraft only from wood. In Koku Hombu (Japan’s Air Ministry) a decision was made to use both of these solutions and in October 1944 the Tachikawa plant was commissioned to build a wooden Ki-84 aircraft, which was named the prototype Ki-106. The choice fell on the Tachikawa plant because its engineering staff had experience in the construction of wooden planes and at that moment was not busy with any project. The design work went very smoothly and already in the spring of 1945 the technical and design drawings were ready. At the same time, the construction of the first and second prototypes, Ki-106.01 and Ki-106.02, respectively, began. The Ki-106.01 aircraft turned out to be very heavy (500 kg more than the normal Ki-84), so during the work on the Ki-106.02 it was decided to reduce its weight by reducing the amount of armament. The wing cannons of the Ho-5 were removed and mounted only in the nose of the machine. In return, the aircraft was given the ability to carry two 250 kg bombs under the wings. The aircraft was probably completed at the end of June or at the beginning of July 1945. The aircraft was sent to the Koku Shinsabu experimental center in Fussa near Tokyo on August 13. There, the Ki-106.02, waiting for tests, lived to see the end of the war. When the Americans found it with the first prototype after the Japanese surrender, they had no idea that they were looking at new Japanese aircraft. The Ki-106.01 aircraft that was damaged was scrapped, and the Ki-106.02 aircraft was sent to America for testing. When the plane reached America, it was only repainted in American colors, there is no evidence that the Americans tested the Ki-106.02 aircraft in flight. The documentation (or rather the lack of it) shows that the Americans thought that it was only a modified Ki-84 aircraft and did not give it any new code name. The plane was scrapped soon after, because it was not needed by anyone.

Photos of Ki-106.02

ki106-9
OIP
R (3)
R

tachikawa-ki-106-ki-84-hayate_2

tachikawa_ki-106

Art Ki-106.02

tachikawa-ki-106-home-defense-172-kit
1734_rd
RS_Ki-106_cover_h

3024_1-auto_downl

Construction description
Difference between Ki-106.02 and Ki-84:

1. The plane is entirely wood
  2. Larger main landing gear wheels 700x200mm instead of 650x170mm.
  3. The fixed armament consists only of 2 x 20mm Ho-5 cannons
  4. The plane is 250kg heavier
Technical sketches

General Characteristics

• Crew: One
  • Length: 9.95 m
  • Wingspan: 11.24 m
  • Height: 3.80 m or 3.60 m
  • Wing area: 21 m2
  • Empty weight: 2,948 kg
  • Gross weight: 3,900 kg
  • Powerplant: 1 x Nakajima Homare 21 Ha-45-21) eigteen-cylinder air-cooled two-row radial engine rated 2,000 hp for take-off
  • Propellers: Four-blade propeller with constant rotational speed with a diameter of 3,100 mm

Performance

• Maximum speed: 620 km/h
  • Cruise speed: ?
  • Range: 1.200 km
  • Service ceiling: 11,000 m
  • Wing loading: 185,71 kg/m2

Armament

1. Fixed armament
  • 2 x 20mm Ho-5 cannons (nose)
  1. Underbarrel armament
  • 2 x 250 kg bombs

Summary
The Tachikawa Ki-106.02 would be a very interesting aircraft for Japan in War Thunder.This aircraft would be a bit of a glass cannon because it has a strong armament (2 x 20mm cannons) but a very weak design. It would fit perfectly as an introduction to the Ki-84 aircraft. I encourage you to discuss in the comments and to share your own knowledge on this subject.
Finally, I apologize for the linguistic and logical errors because unfortunately English is not my main language and I had to use google translator.

Internet sources

Tachikawa Ki-106.02 / 立川 キ106 试作战斗机0 : Tachikawa / Ishikawajima (armedconflicts.com)
Nakajima Ki-84 – Wikipedia, wolna encyklopedia
四式戦闘機 - Wikipedia
Tachikawa Ki-106 (Ki-84 Hayate) All-Wood Single-Seat Fighter Prototype (militaryfactory.com)
Tachikawa Ki-106 - fighter (aviastar.org)
Tachikawa Ki-106 (Ki-84 Hayate): Photos, History, Specification (tvd.im)
Tachikawa Ki-106 Experimental Fighter: Wooden Frank - Passed for Consideration - War Thunder - Official Forum

Book sources
5 Likes

How about Ki-84 with Homare 12?

1 Like

it sounds interesting

“Superprop ki-43 does not exist”

Ki-106.2:

If only the game would make a difference between whether a plane is made from wood or metal 🙃

1 Like

Yes there is an impact, wooden wings have less impact on the fuzes

I think that was only with Soviet wood.

1 Like

Take my +1, I’d love to see more Ki-84 variants floating about