T1E1 90 incorrect frontal armor values

The T1/M6 project spanned over a few years, often fighting against immediate obsolence upon entering service. Armor and Firepower was quickly found to be inadequate compared to the heavy and even some medium tanks at the time.

Initial M6/T1 vehicles used the armor model we see in game now, however over time as I said this was falling short of contemporary vehicles like the Tiger or Churchill heavy tanks.

The army floated several armor upgrade proposals but eventually landed on these values for the actual production tanks in 1942, not the initial pilots.

Armor:

Hull:

Front

Upper: 101.6 mm (30°)

Middle: 95.25 mm (45-60°)

Lower: 127 mm (0-45°)

Sides

Upper: 76.2 mm (0°)

Lower: 76.2 mm (0°)

Skirts: 25.4 mm (0°)

Rear

Upper: 50.8 mm (25°)

Lower: 50.8 mm (0-45°)

Тор

Front: 44.45 mm

Hatch: 38.1 mm

All: 25.4 mm

Floor

25.4 mm

Turret:

Elevating mantlet

50.8 mm (the elevating mantlet attached to the gun)

Fixated mantlet

101.6 - 250 mm

Sides

101.6 mm

Rear

101.6 mm

Тор

34.925 - 41.275 mm

This resulted in increased weight of 4.3 tons, bringing to 61.8 tons over the standard M6 57.5 tons. Below are pictures of sources, they will also be linked as well at the bottom of the post.

IMG_8075

IMG_8073

Below is a photograph of the uparmored production model T1E1 90 at the War Loan Drive Parade, 9 June 1944.

I believe these changes would still make it an acceptable 5.7, perhaps at most 6.0 vehicle. However the T1E1 90mm with 100mm of upper front plate armor would be very similar to the VK4501P or Pzr.Bflw Tiger (P) in terms of protection and firepower as well as electric transmission.

• Royal Army Corps - Technical Situation Report No. 2, 1942
  • Royal Army Corps - Technical Situation Report No. 21, 1944
  • TM 9-721 - Heavy Tanks M6 and M6A1, 1943
  • Record of Army Ordnance Research and Development * Heavy Tanks and Assault Tanks, 1945
  • Hunnicutt: Firepower - A History of the American Heavy Tank

Archival Video containing footage of T1E1 90 as well:
Loan Parade 1944

20 Likes

You see, this requires effort since they wouldn’t just be able to copy paste the hull of the current T1E1.

So it won’t happen.

13 Likes

As far as I have seen it would really only be changes in the numerical values, the later armor changes I haven’t really seen any major visual difference.

5 Likes

@Smin1080p_WT care to forward this to developers?

7 Likes

The better armor is a must for this in my opinion.

6 Likes

So we’re just gonna give up on the T1E1 (90)? Surely with the documents we’ve got, we could bug report it right?

2 Likes

I have: Community Bug Reporting System

It feels like we’ve being ignored by Gaijin

2 Likes

I love how it is stated that THIS IS A KNOWN ISSUE…

From the OLD FORUM…

Which means it was reported YEARS AGO…

Yet nothing has been done.

Gaijin has allowed this tank to have wrong armor since 2014… then, added another variant with the same wrong armor… and now, they add ANOTHER variant with the same wrong armor.

How many more years until they decide to fix this?

1 Like

Well since we don’t behave like literal children and review bomb the game into the ground over minor issues it never will. Love them or hate them the community that does this gets what they want every time. 🤷🏿‍♀️ Where do you think the developers time has been going? To appease the people crying the loudest.
How many devs does war thunder even have? I imagine it’s not a lot

2 Likes

According to what I see on the Internet, around 300 as of now!

It was around 100 in 2014 and around 200 in 2021.

thats a lot more than i thought lol. well time to review bomb lmfao jk.

1 Like

Jokes aside, we really ought to do something about Gaijin’s passiveness when it comes to bug reports and fixing.

Why did it take them only a week to ruin M735 based on a mistaken bug report…. But it’s been a year ever since a proper report with correct information was made, and they have done NOTHING about it?

M6/T1’s armor? Type 10’s steering? Type 10’s acceleration? Abrams’ turret ring? Baden’s missing main turret gun mantlet? Etc, etc, etc.

They are so fast to fixes when they involve nerds, but when fixes involve buffs, not so much…

6 Likes

The M60A1’s mantlet is STILL massively underperforming even after the devblog and supposed fixes, it should have a minimum of 330 mm thickness being completely immune to the T-62’s 3BM4 APFSDS, as the Russians found out during testing. The turret ring is also too big.
M60A1 was added 8 years ago…

XM-1 still completely missing composite armor, none of the M6 tanks having 960 HP they should have, HSTV-L still being completely butchered in most ways etc.

All of these were reported years ago and still nothing. It takes far too long for them to fix things like these, when they are massively impactful to the game and certain vehicles - the worst example of this is the US AP rounds having wildly underperforming angled penetration which would affect most countries, not just the US, and this has been incorrect ever since US tanks were added, 9+ years ago.

4 Likes

A year ago I submitted a bug report about M47’s mantlet being 114MM thick. This bug report included a copy of the US declassified technical manual with all relevant information screen captured and highlighted. It has been “acknowledged” by Gaijin and is currently rotting

2 Likes