T-90S Bhishma: The Invincible Soldier

[Would you like to see this in-game?]
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

Flag_of_India_svg.png.56aef95653959485fe T-90S Bhishma: The Invincible Soldier 220px-ADGPI_Indian_Army_svg.png.9aa496fd

Disclaimer: There is a lot of conflicting information on this vehicle, if there is anything incorrect or misrepresented, please share in the comments and provide a source and I will take care of it. :salute:

Ebv8S0hUYAABSnE.jpg

The T-90S Bhishma maneuvering down a street.

• Description:
    • Role: Main Battle Tank
    • Origin: Russia/India
    • Manufacturer : Uralvagonzavod/Heavy Vehicles Factory (HVF)
    • Summary:
      • The T-90 is a third-generation main battle tank that is a further development of the T-72 main battle tank. The T-90 began development in 1986 when the Central Committee of the USSR approved production of a new tank which would lead to the designing of two tank prototypes, the Object 188, and the Object 187. The Object 188 was a further development of the T-72 which allowed for a significant decrease in production and maintenance costs compared to the more advanced Object 187. The Object 188 would integrate the 1A45 “Irtysh” Fire Control System from the T-80 which would be relabeled the 1A45T, as well as adding the new Shtora-1 active protection suite, Kontact-5 Explosive Reactive Armor, V-84MS Diesel Engine, the TO1-KO1 BURAN Sighting complex, and more. Unexpectedly, testing and production would be delayed due to the unforeseen fall of the Soviet Union. This project would go into hiatus until the Russian Federation would return to the project with the Object 188 being adopted in the early 1992 as the T-90 main battle tank. The T-90 would undergo several changes, with modifications ranging from the T-90A, and T-90M. Between these two other variants, different export variants would arise such as the T-90S. The T-90S was purchased en-masse for the Indian Army back in 2001. A total of 310 were ordered with 124 being produced in the Russian Federation while the rest were shifted to Indian production lines at the Heavy Vehicles Factory in Avadi, Tamil Nadu. Under the Indian Army, the T-90S would be designated the T-90S Bhishma after the Supreme Commander of the Kuru Army found in the epic of Mahabharata. The T-90S Bhishma features a wide variety of upgrades over the base T-90. This was more noticeable as the Indian military had sought to keep the T-90S Bhishma modernized to compete against its heavily armed neighbors. The first-delivered T-90S Bhishma’s would utilize a cast-turret before being switched to a welded turret. Multiple other upgrades include a new 1,000hp V-92S2 Turbocharged Diesel Engine made by the Chelyabinsk Tractor Plant, a new Gunner Sight from Thales dubbed the Catherine-FC which was added in a 2009 modernization, Kachan Composite Armor and Kontact-5 ERA on the turret and hull for layered protection, and more. The Kanchan armor is made up of multiple layers of various materials including ceramics, polymers, and metals that can absorb chemical and kinetic rounds and can theoretically offer better protection than Kontact-5. The T-90S Bhishma utilizes the 2A46M-5 125mm Smoothbore gun found on the T-90-series which can fire a variety of munitions including FSAPDS-T, HE-FRAG, and Gun-Launched Anti-Tank Guided Missiles or GL-ATGM’s like the 9M119/9M119M Svir/Refleks which are fed by a 22-round autoloader. Other weapons include a 7.62mm PKT coaxial machine gun and a 12.7mm Kord Heavy Machine gun which can be controlled from within the vehicle. There are 3 crew members, a Driver, Commander, and Gunner. The Driver utilizes a TNPO-168 daytime periscope and a TKN-3B Passive IR periscope for night driving and the Commander utilizes Commander’s TI, a further development of the ESSA Panoramic sight (2nd-generation thermal imager). The Gunner can views targets through the Catherine-FC Thermal viewer allowing engagement in both day or night settings as well. Other upgrades are the addition of a Battlefield Management System to support tank companies and command and control as well as an APU. The Indian Army is the largest operator of the T-90 and operates over 2,000 T-90S Bhishma’s with possible plans to purchase an additional 464 T-90MS Tagil’s to supplement the T-90S Bhishma. The Indian Army will keep up production of the vehicle until at least 2028, with plans further update the T-90S Bhishma with auto-tracking, active protection systems, and other systems to keep it relevant for a foreseeable future.
    • Additional Note(s):
      • Special thanks to @Raiden_Black for his contribution for the Indian Tech Tree as well as many others.
  • Armament:
    • Primary: 125mm 2A46M-5 Smoothbore Gun
      • Cartridge: 125mm
        • Ammunition:
          • FSAPDS-T
          • HEAT-FS
          • HE-TF
          • HE-FRAG
          • GL-ATGM
        • Feed System:
          • Autoloader-22rds (42rds total)
    • Coaxial: 7.62mm PKT Machine Gun
    • Tertiary: 12.7mm Kord Heavy Machine Gun
  • Maneuverability:
    • Engine: 1,000hp V-92S2 12-cyl. Turbocharged Diesel Engine
    • Transmission: Hydromechanical (7-forward, 1-Reverse)
    • Chassis: Torsion Bar
    • Max Speed: 60km/h
  • Dimensions:
    • Length: 9.53m (w/ gun forward)
    • Width: 3.73m
    • Height: 2.22m
    • Weight: 48t
  • Crew (3x):
    • Commander
    • Gunner
    • Driver
  • Accessories:
    • 12x 81mm Smoke Grenade Launchers
    • ESS
    • Laser Rangefinder
    • Entrenching Blade
    • Armor:
      • Kachan Armor/Kontact-5 ERA
        • Located on the frontal arc of the vehicle.
    • NVD:
      • Driver: TNPO-168 daytime periscope and TKN-3B Passive IR periscope (2nd-generation Passive IR)
      • Gunner: Catherine-FC (2nd-generation Thermal Imager)
      • Commander: Commander’s TI (2nd-Generation Thermal Imager)
  • In-game:
    • The T-90S Bhishma plays very similarly to the in-game T-90A. It features similar, munitions, and engine/drive-train. However, one of the first noticeable differences is the turret utilizing a combination of Kachan and Kontact-5 ERA in an angular pattern, providing a wider arc of protection at the same time, removing the Shtora-1 Soft-kill Active Protection System. This removes the laser warning receivers found on the vehicle as well. Even with this exchange, the T-90S Bhishma is still a force to be reckoned with as it can take heavy punishment and flank targets very will just like the T-90A, as well as use a wide assortment of munitions and GL-ATGM’s. It also has a thermal imager for both the Gunner and Commander, a critical feature as more modern vehicles are added to the game.
    • Estimated Battle Rating: 11.0.
  • Sources:

Imagery

Spoiler

efew_0.jpg

A T-90S Bhishma on display utilizing a two-tone camouflage.

T-90 “Bhishma” Tanks in Ladakh – A Comprehensive Look – Air Power Asia

Tank_T-90(Bhishma)_passes_at_the_Repub

India pays Russia $1.2 billion in technology transfer fees for T-90S tanks

T-90S Bhishma’s during military parade’s with a variety of camouflage patterns.

T-90_Tank.jpg

Different camouflage featuring a 3-tone pattern.

article_5e7322996d0ba0_92905333.jpeg

Another view of the vehicle.

160543-t902.jpg

A T-90S Bhishma equipped with a mine-plow.

main-qimg-f472f373356189ea4114e747958469 Russia-was-quietly-killing-T-90-tanks-un

A comparison of the older T-90S Bhishma (top) versus the newer version (bottom), notice the turret armor layout.

https://youtu.be/KZIvaCfuvRc

Video covering the vehicle.

9m119.jpg

The 9M119 GL-ATGM that can be fired from the main gun.

0VeSNyO.png

Layer of Kontact-5.

+1 for an independent Indian tree

5 Likes

+1, for a independent tree or to the Soviet tech tree in some way.

1 Like

+1 as Russian squad or prem

5 Likes

+1 Especially considering the fact that a few of these are apparantly currently in Russian service. Makes the debate on who should get it a bit less important. Then again, since the only real way to tell a normal T-90S without Shtora apart from a T-90S Bhishma is by the latter’s French thermal imager, the Russians could just be using standard T-90Ss. That being said, since the in-game model is practically identical to the ones currently in Russian service, the model could just be repurposed.

5 Likes

Indian or British tech tree.
Soviets already have a better one after all.

3 Likes

-1, no need to add it since Russia already has a squadron top tier vehicle and a T-90 in the tech tree

Obviously this shouldn’t be touching the British tree in any way.

5 Likes

I’m looking forward to it. It’s likely going to be the squadron vehicle for the British Tree based on the datamine with follow on introductions of other Indian vehicles into the tree. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Arjun Mk. 1 after the TTD and the Mk.1A following that.

2 Likes

It’s here… 🤙

1 Like

I’m looking forward to this! I wonder if it will get any special 125mm ammunition, I do know there exists a ‘125mm FSAPDS Mk-II’ round that entered limited production last year, so perhaps that?

1 Like

Maybe even both. Could have an early Soviet starter round, Tier I FSAPDS Mk-I modification and a Tier IV FSAPDS Mk-II round.

That would be great! It would give the T-90S a more unique flair to set it apart from the Russian T-90, and make it more worth grinding out if the figures listed by the DRDO are accurate.

1 Like

Before this thread is closed due to the tank being added to the game, a few more pictures of the Indian APFSDS rounds, which I believe are license built copies of the Israeli CL 3254M (or AMK 340A in Indian service) which is the Mk.1, and M711/8, the Mk.2. It should be noted the Mk.1 doesn’t seem to have gone beyond the induction phase, and the primary AT round for Indian 125mm guns as of October 2022 was still 3BM42 Mango. However they are still an option should Gaijin want to give the Bhishma a bit more firepower.

1 Like

I haven’t seen it, what’s TWMP?

‘Track Width Mine Plough’

1 Like

I think we’re going to get the indigenous round eventually for this vehicle. I think they did that for the time being. Made to get there hands on more source material or to help the lineup around 10.3.

Since this tank is now in game isn’t this post supposed to be closed by now?

Yeah they’ll probably do it soon.

1 Like

yeah soon…

1 Like

Still open for discussion 😁