- The T-90M ‘Breakthrough’, also known as Object 188M ‘Breakthrough-3’, is an advanced main battle tank that was developed by the Russian company Uralvagonzavod. It is the latest member of the T-90 family of tanks, which have been in service with the Russian military since 1992. Development began in the early-2010’s with the vehicle being presented for the first time at Army-2018. 2 years later the vehicle entered service within the Russian Army. The T-90M incorporates a number of upgrades and improvements over its predecessors, making it one of the most advanced tanks in the world today. The T-90M is equipped with the same 2A46M-5 gun that is used on the T-90MS and T-90A. However, the T-90M features a new chrome-lined barrel that provides a significant increase in accuracy compared to its predecessors. The T-90M carries a total of 40 rounds of ammunition, with 22 rounds being stored in the automatic loader and the remaining 20 rounds stored in the hull. New ammunition storage holding 10 rounds including propellants has been added in the turret bustle. Other weapons include a coaxial 7.62mm PKTM machine gun and a 12.7mm Kord machine gun within a Remote Weapon Station. The T-90M also received a new fire control system dubbed ‘Kalina’ and a new sighting system, which includes the ‘Sosna-U’ Multi Channel gunner’s sight and the ‘Hawkeye’ Multi Channel commander’s sight. The Sosna-U sight uses a 2nd generation Catherine-FC thermal imaging camera from France and a ballistic computer to detect and track targets. The Catherine-FC thermal imager is the primary imager however attempts of phasing it out have been made for locally made thermal sights, possibly the FEM18M-03. However, the zoom offered by the sight is limited, with only a 3x optical magnification and a 6x maximum digital magnification. The gunner can use either an eyepiece or a flat screen display. The Hawkeye sight offers a near 360-degree viewing arc while itself using a thermal sight. Not only has the Gunner and Commander received new sights, the vehicle features four external TV cameras to assist in situational awareness. The Driver is equipped with a day periscope that can be swapped with an IR periscope to assist in night driving. The T-90M features a next-generation dynamic armor package that provides protection against a wide range of threats, including kinetic energy penetrators, high explosive anti-tank rounds, and even rocket-propelled grenades by detonating incoming projectiles before they can penetrate the armor. This dynamic armor or Explosive Reactive Armor (ERA), named ‘Relict’, can be found on other Russian tanks such as the T-72B3 or T-80BVM. This ERA covers the frontal arc and the top and sides of the turret, with additional kits such as the 4S24 which adds soft Relikt ERA on the sides of the hull and rear of the turret which have the appearance of “bags”. Supplementing this is cage armor protecting the engine compartment and mesh netting around the turret to protect the turret ring from ATGM’s. The T-90M also has a laser warning system that alerts the crew to the presence of laser rangefinders or target designators, allowing them to take evasive action or launch a smokescreen. Plans to incorporate the Arena-M hard-kill active protection system are in the works which significantly increases survivability by targeting incoming anti-tank guided missiles (ATGM). ARENA-M is capable of defending against attacks from any direction, including against top-attack munitions. The system uses radar technology and maneuverable ammunition to destroy incoming threats, and it has been designed to operate in an automatic mode with minimal reaction time. This APS has been developed and designed by Vladimir Kharkin, Head of the Development and Design Department at Kolomna KBM, who recently disclosed the details of the system to the Russian MoD TV channel. The T-90M is powered by a V-92S2F2 diesel engine that produces 1130 horsepower. The engine is paired with an automatic transmission that allows the tank to travel at speeds of up to 60 km/h on roads and 45 km/h off-road. The tank has a range of approximately 500 km on a single tank of fuel.
- In conclusion, the T-90M is the latest member of the T-90 family of main battle tanks, and it incorporates a number of upgrades and improvements over its predecessors. These include advanced sighting systems, enhanced protection, and improved firepower. The T-90M is a formidable tank that is capable of engaging and destroying a wide range of targets on the battlefield, and it is sure to be a valuable asset to the Russian military for years to come.
- Special thanks to @WulfPack for his original suggestion on the old forum. Please credit him for his work.
- Primary: 125mm 2A46M-5 Smoothbore Gun
- Cartridge: 125mm
- 3BM60 APFSDS-T
- 3BK31 HEAT-FS
- 3OF82 HE (Programmable)
- 9M119M1 GL-ATGM
- Feed System:
- Autoloader-22rds (40rds total)
- Stabilizer: 2E58
- Coaxial: 7.62mm PKTM Machine Gun (6P7K)
- Tertiary: 12.7mm Kord Machine Gun RCWS (6P49MT)
- Cartridge: 125mm
- Primary: 125mm 2A46M-5 Smoothbore Gun
- Engine: 1130hp V-92S2F2 12-cyl. Turbocharged Diesel Engine
- Transmission: Automatic (7-forward, 1-reverse)
- Chassis: Torsion Bar
- Max Speed: 60km/h
- Length: 9.6m (w/ gun forward)
- Width: 3.8m
- Height: 2.2m
- Weight: 48t
- 12x 902B 81mm Smoke Grenades
- Laser Rangefinder
- Entrenching Blade
- Relict ERA
- Cage Armor
- Mesh Netting
- RADAR Resistant Cover.
- Spall Liner
- Arena-M (Optional)
- Driver: TNPO-168 daytime periscope and TKN-3B Passive IR periscope
- Gunner: Sosna-U (primarily w/ Catherine-FC Thermal Imager with possibly some with the FEM18M-03 Thermal Imager)
- Commander: Hawkeye Thermal Imager
- The T-90M is the ultimate in-service Russian main battle tank. It features several upgrades that puts it leagues ahead of the current T-90A in-game. Armed with just about the same ammunition but equipped with durable ‘Relict’ ERA, laser warning systems, possible ARENA-M APS, and more, the T-90M is the pinnacle of the Russian tree for brawling. It is however still susceptible to ammunition detonations like other modern T-series tanks if the autoloader is struck.
- Estimated Battle Rating: 11.7 (or 12.0 for Rank VIII).
RADAR resistant cover.
- Gur Khan attacks!: 2-я гвардейская Таманская мотострелковая дивизия получила первые танки Т-90М
- T-90M Proryv-3 Model 2017 MBT main battle tank technical data
- Main Battle Tank (MBT) T-90MS | Catalog Rosoboronexport
- T-90M Main Battle Tank | MilitaryToday.com
- T-90M Proryv-3
- Russia's Powerful T-90M Tank: Everything You Need to Know - 19FortyFive
- T-90SM / MS / M MBT | Thai Military and Asian Region