T-90M: The Russian Bulwark

Would you like to see the T-90M in-game?
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

T-90M: The Russian Bulwark

Description:

• The T-90M ‘Breakthrough’, also known as Object 188M ‘Breakthrough-3’, is an advanced main battle tank that was developed by the Russian company Uralvagonzavod. It is the latest member of the T-90 family of tanks, which have been in service with the Russian military since 1992. Development began in the early-2010’s with the vehicle being presented for the first time at Army-2018. 2 years later the vehicle entered service within the Russian Army. The T-90M incorporates a number of upgrades and improvements over its predecessors, making it one of the most advanced tanks in the world today. The T-90M is equipped with the same 2A46M-5 gun that is used on the T-90MS and T-90A. However, the T-90M features a new chrome-lined barrel that provides a significant increase in accuracy compared to its predecessors. The T-90M carries a total of 40 rounds of ammunition, with 22 rounds being stored in the automatic loader and the remaining 20 rounds stored in the hull. New ammunition storage holding 10 rounds including propellants has been added in the turret bustle. Other weapons include a coaxial 7.62mm PKTM machine gun and a 12.7mm Kord machine gun within a Remote Weapon Station. The T-90M also received a new fire control system dubbed ‘Kalina’ and a new sighting system, which includes the ‘Sosna-U’ Multi Channel gunner’s sight and the ‘Hawkeye’ Multi Channel commander’s sight. The Sosna-U sight uses a 2nd generation Catherine-FC thermal imaging camera from France and a ballistic computer to detect and track targets. The Catherine-FC thermal imager is the primary imager however attempts of phasing it out have been made for locally made thermal sights, possibly the FEM18M-03. However, the zoom offered by the sight is limited, with only a 3x optical magnification and a 6x maximum digital magnification. The gunner can use either an eyepiece or a flat screen display. The Hawkeye sight offers a near 360-degree viewing arc while itself using a thermal sight. Not only has the Gunner and Commander received new sights, the vehicle features four external TV cameras to assist in situational awareness. The Driver is equipped with a day periscope that can be swapped with an IR periscope to assist in night driving. The T-90M features a next-generation dynamic armor package that provides protection against a wide range of threats, including kinetic energy penetrators, high explosive anti-tank rounds, and even rocket-propelled grenades by detonating incoming projectiles before they can penetrate the armor. This dynamic armor or Explosive Reactive Armor (ERA), named ‘Relict’, can be found on other Russian tanks such as the T-72B3 or T-80BVM. This ERA covers the frontal arc and the top and sides of the turret, with additional kits such as the 4S24 which adds soft Relikt ERA on the sides of the hull and rear of the turret which have the appearance of “bags”. Supplementing this is cage armor protecting the engine compartment and mesh netting around the turret to protect the turret ring from ATGM’s. The T-90M also has a laser warning system that alerts the crew to the presence of laser rangefinders or target designators, allowing them to take evasive action or launch a smokescreen. Plans to incorporate the Arena-M hard-kill active protection system are in the works which significantly increases survivability by targeting incoming anti-tank guided missiles (ATGM). ARENA-M is capable of defending against attacks from any direction, including against top-attack munitions. The system uses radar technology and maneuverable ammunition to destroy incoming threats, and it has been designed to operate in an automatic mode with minimal reaction time. This APS has been developed and designed by Vladimir Kharkin, Head of the Development and Design Department at Kolomna KBM, who recently disclosed the details of the system to the Russian MoD TV channel. The T-90M is powered by a V-92S2F2 diesel engine that produces 1130 horsepower. The engine is paired with an automatic transmission that allows the tank to travel at speeds of up to 60 km/h on roads and 45 km/h off-road. The tank has a range of approximately 500 km on a single tank of fuel.
  • In conclusion, the T-90M is the latest member of the T-90 family of main battle tanks, and it incorporates a number of upgrades and improvements over its predecessors. These include advanced sighting systems, enhanced protection, and improved firepower. The T-90M is a formidable tank that is capable of engaging and destroying a wide range of targets on the battlefield, and it is sure to be a valuable asset to the Russian military for years to come.
  • Special thanks to @WulfPack for his original suggestion on the old forum. Please credit him for his work.

Specifications:

• Armament:
    • Primary: 125mm 2A46M-5 Smoothbore Gun
      • Cartridge: 125mm
        • Ammunition:
          • 3BM60 APFSDS-T
          • 3BK31 HEAT-FS
          • 3OF82 HE (Programmable)
          • 9M119M1 GL-ATGM
        • Feed System:
          • Autoloader-22rds (40rds total)
        • Stabilizer: 2E58
      • Coaxial: 7.62mm PKTM Machine Gun (6P7K)
      • Tertiary: 12.7mm Kord Machine Gun RCWS (6P49MT)
  • Maneuverability:
    • Engine: 1130hp V-92S2F2 12-cyl. Turbocharged Diesel Engine
    • Transmission: Automatic (7-forward, 1-reverse)
    • Chassis: Torsion Bar
    • Max Speed: 60km/h
  • Dimensions:
    • Length: 9.6m (w/ gun forward)
    • Width: 3.8m
    • Height: 2.2m
    • Weight: 48t
  • Crew (3x):
    • Commander
    • Gunner
    • Driver
  • Accessories:
    • 12x 902B 81mm Smoke Grenades
    • ESS
    • Laser Rangefinder
    • Entrenching Blade
    • Protection:
      • Relict ERA
      • Cage Armor
      • Mesh Netting
      • RADAR Resistant Cover.
      • Spall Liner
      • Arena-M (Optional)
    • Optics:
      • Driver: TNPO-168 daytime periscope and TKN-3B Passive IR periscope
      • Gunner: Sosna-U (primarily w/ Catherine-FC Thermal Imager with possibly some with the FEM18M-03 Thermal Imager)
      • Commander: Hawkeye Thermal Imager
  • In-game:
    • The T-90M is the ultimate in-service Russian main battle tank. It features several upgrades that puts it leagues ahead of the current T-90A in-game. Armed with just about the same ammunition but equipped with durable ‘Relict’ ERA, laser warning systems, possible ARENA-M APS, and more, the T-90M is the pinnacle of the Russian tree for brawling. It is however still susceptible to ammunition detonations like other modern T-series tanks if the autoloader is struck.
    • Estimated Battle Rating: 11.7 (or 12.0 for Rank VIII).

Imagery:

Click Here

A T-90M during a demonstration.

T-90M’s during a military parade.

A rear image of a T-90M.

T90M_Internal3T90M_Internal2Views of the Gunner and Commander’s stations.

The main gun on the T-90M.

The Fire Control system of the T-90M.

Ammo stowage in the rear turret bustle.

The V-92S2F engine used in the T-90M.

RADAR resistant cover.

Arena-M on a T-72B3 for reference.

Sources:

10 Likes

Cannot come soon enough. I told myself I ain’t spading T-90A until this is in the game.

3 Likes

If the reverse speed is still -4, I think BVM will still be the main force.
But, +1 for its beauty.

10 Likes

What ammunition detonations, comrade?

9 Likes

Penetration to the munition on the autoloader causing a detonation is known vulnerability of the T-64, T-72, T-80, and T-90-series of tanks in-game. Other tanks have their own vulnerabilities.

1 Like

from videos I’ve seen its got a slow reverse speed

1 Like

Looks cool, and would love to have it! +1

1 Like

Russia is OP enough, they could go a year without a new top tier vehicle and it would be fine

6 Likes

Russia is not a tech tree, and Soviets are not OP.
Their vehicles are objectively worse than most.
T-90M would be nice as Soviets only have 1 top BR MBT currently.

11 Likes

+1, I’d like to see this one added with 3BM59.

6 Likes

The T-80U-series, T-72B3, and T-80BVM are pretty effective at top rank.

4 Likes

No, T-80U & T-72B3 have worse armor than nearly all 11.7s with Ariete & Leclerc being the only primary exceptions.
Their ammunition is only as good as Leclerc & Challenger 2’s top round.
Are you telling me you opposed M1A2 SEP being added on the old forum?

5 Likes

No, I’m just making a general statement in the BVM, B3, and T-80U-series. The T-80U’s Kontact-5 is still quite survivable. Not to mention so is the T-90A.

2 Likes

Well sure, M1A1 HC is as survivable as SEP, that doesn’t mean SEP wasn’t wanted nor needed.
T-80U & M1A1 HC are honestly the best analogs to each other.

For the record I want to see the T-90M in-game, I made the suggestion lol.

I’m just saying that the T-80U and the others I mentioned, especially the T-72B3 and T-80BVM, are quite competitive at top rank and have supported the tree’s 60%+ win rate since April. The tree has had a very consistent positive top rank win rates compared to all other nations in-game. While the T-80BVM is the only “top 11.7”, the tree is in no way hurting. Adding the T-90M will only solidify the win rates for the foreseeable future.

4 Likes

Alleged win rates would be because Soviet teams have the better players.
And based on what I experienced in my T-80BVM, I’m inclined to agree with the sentiment.
The amount of NATO players that don’t hit idler wheels is astonishing.

5 Likes

+1 need justification for later M1A2s and M829A3 xD

1 Like

9 Likes

oh god that looks like it would be a shell eating magnet.

I WILL TAKE YOUR ENTIRE STOCK

In War Thunder’s case I don’t think it will feature any mod 2022/2023s. Although I think we will most likely see 2S24 soft bag armor kits on T-90M.

@Yontzee I think you can add 4S24 kit info on T-90Ms too, since Gaijin loves giving it to modern Russian tanks like T-72B3/T-80BVM.

https://www.facebook.com/Pageoftanks/posts/2061871473929512

3 Likes