0 voters
How would you like to see this in-game?
  • Tech tree
  • Premium
  • Event (Squadron, Battle Pass, etc.)
  • I do not want it
0 voters

Hello !

I’d like to suggest the addition of the T-62M equipped with the T2A2 APS.

One of the two known tanks was left to rot in Kubinka following its trials. It now stands at the Suvorov Military School in Moscow.

History

Spoiler

Following rather successful work on novative active protection systems in the 1960s, Soviet engineers started working in the 1970s on what would become the Drozd APS. Under OKR “Drozd”, multiple systems were produced and installed on tanks by 1979. The following year would see the first trials of Drozd and the state trials would go on from 1981 to 1982. The system showed promising results as trials against a Mi-24 firing ATGM had a 100% interception rate.
The system would then be accepted in service in 1983 under the name 1030M and the tanks equiped were renamed to T-55AD.

As you can guess, the program was aimed at modernizing T-55s while T-62s got less attention as they were more modern and less in need of an upgrade. This is not to say that the T-62 was left alone. In fact, in December 1981, the T-62 was trialed with Kontakt-1.

A T-55AMD on display

While Drozd showed good results, it also had some major deficiencies. Reaction time wasn’t as good as it could be and the system was prone to frying if hit by electric discharge such as lightning. An electromagnetic pulse would also ignite the counter-munitions of the system.
Under OKR “Drozd-1”, an upgraded version of Drozd was then made, featuring improvements that are not concretely known but can be guessed based on the initial issues.
This system was dubbed T2A2.

A blueprint of the T-62M (object 169) equipped with the T2A2 system dated December 1985

The other tank as it was abandonned near Kubinka

By September 1988, a T-62M was built and readied. Since T-55s and T-62s had now been equipped with the BDD composite armor, this tank also received it.
State trials would then begin in February 1989 and end in April 1990. However, the USSR wasn’t doing all that well and there was a lack of interest and funding for such a program to equip obsolescent tanks. By that time, two prototypes are known to have been built.

One of the two surviving T-62M with T2A2 was put on a small exhibition inside the Moscow Suvorov Military School

Specifications

Crew : 3

• Driver
  • Gunner
  • Commander
  • Loader

Armament

• One 115 mm U-5TS (Ammo : 42)
  • One 12.7 mm machine gun NSVT
  • One 7.62 mm machine gun PKT
  • Sights : TShSM-41U (1K13)
  • Elevation : -5°/+16°

Dimensions

• Weight : ~ 40,5 t
  • Length : 6.63 m
  • Width : 3.3 m
  • Height : 2.395 m (without MG)

Mobility

• Engine : V-55U (580 hp) or V-46-5M (690 hp)
  • Top speed : 51 km/h / -8 km/h
  • Transmission : 5 forward / 1 reverse

Armor

The tank shares the same armor as the T-62M-1 that is in game with the exception of the removed BDD armor on the turret.
T2A2 likely provides the same interception angles as Drozd with a more reliable interception time. Otherwise, they should be identical.

Sources

2 Likes

Would be good at 9.3, I guess.

If the APS performs similarly to the one on the T-55AMD then hell yes, always find hard kill APS a more viable protection compare to the two composite face plates, you can just look at the direction of heli-trashes or ATGM’s launchers to deny their missiles lol

wouldnt be better if 9.0

Why would it be 9.7?

ye my bad i wanted write 9.0

+1 can be squadron like chinese Obj 122

1 Like

russian does not need a third ground squadron vehicle. Having it foldered into T-62 M-1 or as a event vehicle would be better.

This vehicle is useless as event, and almost no one will grind this. People grinded T-80UM2 because it was good vehicle, T-62’s - aren’t.