• United Korea tree
  • Other
  • I said no
0 voters

T-55 (Slat Armour)

Flag-North-Korea

JAqS21B_d

Brief History
North Korea, despite what some may think, has a surprisingly large variety of tanks and other AFVs. Aside from their indigenous variants and developments of the Soviet T-62 (Ch’ŏnma), the DPRK imported a number of T-34s and T-54s/T-55s from the Soviet Union following the end of the Korean War (T-34s immediately after, T-54/55s in the late 60s). Around the same time, they also imported Chinese Type 59s, which are effectively the same as the T-54/55. Around 3500 of these are still in service today.

At an unknown time, the DPRK began equipping their T-54/55s and Type 59s (as well as their T-62s/Ch’ŏnma) with slat armour.

Characteristics
This particular vehicle I’m suggesting is a T-55, as it is the only one with photo evidence, but North Korea did equip a number of other tanks with this same armour as evidenced by the supports for them. I’m unsure specifically as to what variants of T-55 North Korea used, but given the timeframe, I think we can assume they used the base version and likely T-55As as well. At the very least, their normal T-55s were equipped with a 14.5mm KPVT and likely imported the same ammunition the Soviets used (which could mean the same ammo as the in-game T-55A). And all T-55s had a stabiliser, so this vehicle would be the same as the T-55A in game, even if not identical visually.

This slat armour is rudimentary but it should protect somewhat against early HE/HEAT rounds. Otherwise, the vehicle remains identical to the standard T-55. It extends around the side of the hull and most of the turret, although I’m unsure if it goes around the turret rear; I haven’t yet found any photos of the rear of DPRK T-55s with the slat armour attachements.

Conclusion
This vehicle would be a nice semi-unique vehicle for a future North Korean sub-tree. I think it would work best as a premium at the same BR as the T-55A, at 8.3.

Specifications
Armament

• 100mm D-10T2S
    • Stabilised
    • 3BM-8 APDS
    • BR-412D APCBC
    • 3BM25 APFSDS
    • 3BK17M HEATFS
    • OF-412 HE

Armour

• Hull
    • Front
      • 100mm
    • Sides
      • 80mm + slat armour
    • Rear
      • 20-45mm
  • Turret
    • Front
      • 130-200mm
    • Sides
      • 100-160mm + slat armour
    • Rear
      • 66-110mm

Mobility

• Speed
    • 51m/h
  • Weight
    • 36t
  • Engine power
    • 580hp, 16.1hp/t

Images

Spoiler

4fm5gwh9r7h61

Below: T-55/Type 59 and Ch’ŏnma’s with mounting points for slat armour
z1oMGNF

Sources

Spoiler

Democratic People's Republic of Korea (Cold War) - Tank Encyclopedia
- Vol. 2, No. 12 - December 2013
North Korea’s T-55 with slat armor. - Album on Imgur
https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/chonma/

3 Likes

Garbage made up stats for a tank that never saw combat. Awesome.

It’s a T-55 with slat armour. They were built. Nothing is ‘made up’, lol. Plenty of in-game vehicles (including serial production ones) have never seen combat, that’s not a requirement for them to be added.

3 Likes

+1, for a United Korean tech tree.

1 Like