T-40 Amphibious Scout Tank, Mobile Machine-Gun Tank for Russia

[Would you like to see this in-game?]
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

caid’s suggestion #132

I will suggest here the T-40 light tank for Russia

The T-40 was a Soviet amphibious reconnaissance light tank. The tank was a development of the T-37 and T-38 with major improvements such as all-welded armour and new armament. The tank was produced from 1940 to 1941 and offered the Russian army a tactical advantage on reconnaissance missions as the tank was fully amphibious. It could cross the river and lake without the need for a bridge making it perfectly capable of sneaking behind the front line to report the enemy’s movement. However, the armament of a 12.7mm machine-gun was lacking in anti-tank capacity which led to the development of the T-30 with the 20mm auto-cannon. The T-40 and T-30 served for a time together as reconnaissance tanks before being replaced by the T-60 which was cheaper and more potent. The T-40 saw combat and one of the major known uses was during the defence of Moscow during Operation Barbarossa. The T-40 didn’t fare so well in combat, especially against armoured targets, but was perfectly suitable against infantry. Following the Battle of Moscow, the T-40 became very rare in the Russian operations as there were heavy losses while production was halted in 1941 and his replacement by the T-60 was only available in small numbers. The T-40 remained in service until 1946 where the last few T-40 wer used as trainers.

Firepower
The firepower of this tank is rather light but not useless. The main armament is a 12.7mm DShK heavy machine gun. This machine gun is a Russian equivalent to the 12.7mm M2HB with mostly similar performance. It has a 50-round belt and a 600 rounds per minute fire rate. The penetration would range around 30mm at combat distance. The elevation of -8°/+25° makes it pretty useful and even allow it to fire at some annoying aircraft once in a while. The turret rotates at 360° at a speed that is unknown but should range somewhere between 10 to 20 °/sec. 500 rounds are carried. A coaxial 7.62mm DT machine gun is placed on the left of the main gun.

Mobility
The tank is pretty mobile without being a speedy boy. The 45 km/h top speed is good for an early tank. The tank is pretty light at only 5.5 tons. The GAZ-11 model 201 engine offers 85 hp although some early models had a Dodge engine providing 76 hp due to difficulty producing the GAZ-11 Model 201 on time. The transmission was a 4-speed + reverse manual gearbox from the GAZ-AA truck. This is what I suspect, as the T-60 should still use the same transmission. The tank is also amphibious with a propeller in the rear. The tank can reach 6 km/h in the water. Overall, the mobility will be pretty good and not feel any real limitations.

Protection
The protection is light. The armour ranges from 9 to 13 mm in the exposed surface. It will be enough to stop LMGs and shrapnel but a little more will be dangerous. The tank is small which allows it to hide easily and not get noticed. The crew is limited to 2 men. The small size and good mobility will be the main protection of this tank.

Sources

Spoiler

2 Likes

Oof. But lackluster firepower, but might be able to get a kill or two at reserve. Seems like a funny addition for low tier Russia, +1.

2 Likes

it got a fairly better pen than the T-60 and a fair bit better mobility too

I think it can work fine

I am confident that get 5-6 kills often with this in my hand

1 Like

The real BMP-(-1)

2 Likes

We have the M2A2, so this should be included as well! +1

2 Likes

And unlike the M2A2, this has a fully rotating turret. No useless second turret with a .30 cal to get in the way.

2 Likes

Exactly. It’s all integrated as it should be.

1 Like

Yeah but also not a 200rd belt and crazy mobility 😄

It is amphibious, though.

Not really a useful feature in WT though.

1.0-2.0 could use some decrompression as well.
There are a lot of vehicles that are mid and others which are crazy effective in comparison, that could easily go up in BR.

If it float, I vote! :D

3 Likes

it’s true, most maps do not need any swimming and those that allow you o swim, make you exposed and slow you down.

the newer map does not even have a river that needs to swim. the tanks just cross the canal even if they aren’t amphibious

indeed. i think about the M2A4, BT-5 and Strv M/31. even if in this last one, I would just remove the APDS and we would be good.

2 Likes

m/39 is even better. It has 50mm of armor on the turret, which is insane for 1.0 that also can penetrate even heavily armored French vehicles with APDS.
But the Cruiser tanks and the M8 LAC are even worse.

1.0-1.3 should be reserved for vehicles with low penetration and poor handling while vehicles with good mobility and firepower should move up.

There’s also lots of room for more low tier vehicles that could be added.
Like the British Vickers with Vickers .50cal or 15mm BESA.
Basically a T-26 with a heavy MG.

It will powercreep the dshka milk truck at 1.0

Compression hits reserve tier :(

Funny cause I’ve never had an issue with 2 turrets.