T-15 Armata

Would you like to see the T-15 Armata in-game?
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

Welcome to the post for the T-15 Armata! This is specifically for the variant equipped with the Bumerang-BM turret, armed with a 30 mm 2A42, and four 9M133 Kornet-Ms as its main armament. Let’s find out a bit more!

Overview

The BTR-T, an IFV based on the T-55.

In response to urban fighting in Chechnya, Uralvagonzavod based out of Nizhny Tagil developed its BTR-T infantry fighting vehicle. This was based on the hull of a T-55 tank and could mount a variety of armaments. The idea was that a vehicle like this could be more survivable in tight areas where RPGs would fire at close range, which happened to BTRs and BMPs in Chechnya. Ultimately though, this did not pan out, and the BTR-T was never adopted.

Around 2009, Uralvagonzavod began work on a family of vehicles under the name Armata. The concept for the future family was showcased at the Russian Arms Expo in 2013. Similar to the BTR-T developed over a decade ago, the Armata family would be a heavily armored vehicle capable of mounting various weapons. Finally, during the Victory Day Parade in Moscow in 2015, the new Armata family was paraded through the city, and received massive media attention. Most notable were the T-14 and T-15, a tank variant and infantry fighting vehicle variant respectively.

The Bumerang-BM remote controlled turret.

The T-15 Armata’s basic configuration is equipped with the Bumerang-BM turret, also known by the name ‘Epoch’. This turret features a 30 mm 2A42 autocannon, four 9M133 Kornet-M anti-tank missiles, as well as a coaxial 7.62 mm PKTM. It also features thermal imaging for both the gunner and commander, allowing them to see at any time of day. A couple other turrets were featured for the T-15 later on, which includes the AU-220M Baikal turret equipped with a 57 mm autocannon and a pair of 9M120 Ataka anti-tank missiles, as well as the DUBM-57 Kinzhal turret with a similar armament.

Perhaps the most notable feature of the T-15 is its hull. Heavily armored and driven by an automatic transmission and 1,500 hp engine, the T-15 is estimated to reach speeds of up to 70 km/h. While the vehicle’s armor is classified of course, it is known to be equipped with the ‘Afganit’ hard-kill Active Protection System, smoke grenade launchers, 44S-sv-Sh steel armor, as well as ‘Monolith’ reactive armor. This is all intended to protect the crew, who sit in an armored capsule toward the front of the vehicle, as well as up to 8 dismounts seated in the rear. One notable fact is that the T-15 features a front mounted engine, as opposed to the rear mounted engine on the T-14.

While the T-15 Armata represents a promising concept and shift in direction for Russian armor, the series has faced numerous delays in development, production, costs, and procurement. Despite this, the Armata platform has entered service with the Russian Ground Forces in small numbers, with an announcement being made in 2021 that the T-14, T-15, and T-16 ARV would be produced in a pilot batch.

The T-15 Armata during the Victory Day Parade in Moscow, May 9th, 2015.

Specifications
  • Mass: 48 t
  • Crew: 3 + 8 dismounts
  • Main armament: 30 mm 2A42 (500 rounds) & 4× 9M133 Kornet
  • Secondary armament: 7.62 mm PKTM (2,000 rounds)
  • Engine: 1,500 hp 12N360
  • Maximum speed: 65 - 70 km/h
  • Maximum range: 550 km
Sources
Gallery

6 Likes

It really doesn’t have any ATGM reloads?

Not with out massive supply lines and of weapons and parts

Yes +1 including with the ribbon of Saint George as you can see on that picture.

1 Like

Should be added +1 Hope to see it along with the Chinese equivalent VN20.

I think the x4 Kornet atgm is referring to what is ready to be fired. Rather than the total amount of Kornet’s available. If you look sources to the bmp-2M it also says x4 Kornet, but as we know the bmp-2m has x8 in total. The same could apply for the T-15 here?

I mean to fire more than the 4 missiles already in the launcher

There’s alot of Russian IFVs that could be added, I hope with the Terminator-1 we see a light at the end of the tunnel, then we may see this.

So many people are against Russian additions, mainly the Ukraine fanboys. How the heck does the suggestion of the demonstrator Leo 2 get suck a good upvote ratio, I said yes for the leo 2 demo, but I also want this implemented.

Just shows you the double standard of people saying “T15 has very low quantities” when the Leo 2 is a demonstrator.

It’s more of the “Russian bias” community of other nations, not Ukraine. People are “weary” of these vehicles because of Gaijin’s development towards Russian vehicles and don’t want to fight something that’s “broken”. Not everyone is like that, some just say it because it’s Russian which can be seen in the T-14 Armata thread really well. Probably like a 70-30 ratio for “Russian bias” to “Russian-origin”.

1 Like

You know, Terminator could be perfect fit. It a bit (not really) strange to see vehicles design to fight alongside infantry or carry them into battle in the game which doesnt (nominally) have infantry. But vehicle designed to support tanks? Now thats makes all the sense in the world

I think it’s more correct to call the theme “T-15 (2015)” or “T-15 (Bumerang-BM)” because there are other versions of the T-15

Spoiler

the first photo looks so cursed…

Looks the same, but without machinegun and ATGMs on the side

Yes, these are the modified Baikal and Kinzhal turrets I mentioned in my post. The Baikal one in particular, the first one, underwent a few small changes during its development. I chose the generic T-15 Armata for the Bumerang-BM turret because it’s what most people would think of when thinking of this vehicle, but if anyone makes a post for these other two, I’ll consider renaming the post.