Sukhoi Su-27/30/33/35/37 Flanker series & Su-34 Fullback - History, Design, Performance & Dissection

Who cares about DCS.

So, you are 40 year-old man who lurks around a video game forum does not play any of the vehicles mentioned & talks about DCS in which he does not play not either?

What are you really looking for here?

I am a little concerned, dude.

How am I narcissist when I mind my own business and you come out of your way to talk to me?

You only engage when I speak. Remember this.

It’s not worth engaging, then please by all means stop replying to my post that have nothing to do with you.

Avoid bvr against them at very long distances, like mig_23m said at that point ruskie planes will always be behind western planes bvr-wise

1 Like

At medium range the r77 should work well

You’re right

Not necessarily always but the comparable airframes are generally inferior. There has to be a compromise somewhere.

It is underperforming quite a bit imo, but because it lofts when it shouldn’t to reach the current range.

4 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

I think the drag may be little exaggerated currently , but it is a chronic problem for russian missile variants until they ditc the grid fins and shrink the size of their radar and guidance package to make way for a larger motor.

You know how small the radar is in the R-77?

Russia does not know how do build large motors? They are the number one in rocket design btw :)

You know how big the R-27ER control unit is right? How much it weighs? About half the weight of an Aim-120. The Warhead? 39kg.

They obviously do have an issue making stronger motors. Obviously, they like the missiles & it performs optimal otherwise they would have upgraded them & “lose” the grid fins.

The engine is sufficient there.The rocket is very poorly modeled in WT

3 Likes

I feel like people intentionally make up design issues in Russian designs for no reason.

Now Russia does not know how to make rockets all of a sudden? Wild.

2 Likes

As of late you’ve repeatedly responded to me when I was talking to others and you’ve always stated some absurd nonsense. Of course you already knew that but I’m still letting you bait responses / attention rn.

I mean, it’s not a big concern. The missile is still worthwhile.

Ok, if you feel that way, for sure. I will not respond unless directly pinged by you. Do the same likewise?

True, it is much harder to notch/avoid at closer ranges due to the faster acceleration, higher top speed and better maneuverability, but it will always be worse at BVR than the AIM120.

The grid fins should give better low speed responsiveness, bit that doesn’t have much use unless the missile is at the edge of its envelope (speeds below mach 1) and the target aircraft evades at the last moment. Any other missile would be reliant on the aircraft flying Into the misisle, whereas the R77 could still make one more effective manuver to hit the target.

I don’t think that is currently modeled in warthunder.

Nah it’s just Russian. That’s why it’s doesn’t have much use. Keep it real dude.

We already know how you feel about both the US & RuF.

The British talking rocket design. That’s something you don’t see everyday. What’s next space flight?

The SM search modes are not modeled. All of them are a copy paste MiG29 9-13.

The N001VEP has all the capability of the Zhuk-27 but of course is not a planar array. Just less degree of that radar. Same modes etc.

The actual radar is called N001VP. Russia does not use export radars that are intentionally degraded & export controlled.

1 Like

At maximum range it should remain harder to dodge due to 40° AoA and high G overload at lower speeds than AIM-120

2 Likes

The thing is R-77 seem to pull about 30° AoA and 30Gs at best in game even with tac-view that loves show exaggerated numbers

3 Likes

Which I already clarified in the rest of my post:

Please do not quote out of context.

Yep, which is why I believe the grid fins have the drag modeled, but the missile lacks the benefit of effective low speed maneuverability it should have.

Grid fins are better for supersonic flight.

Their weakness is transonic flight. Transonic flight for any missiles useless.

These applications are especially used in space rockets.

Once the R-77 pushes past transonic regimes its actually more aerodynamic than the Aim-120.

Say what you will about Russian/Soviet radars. Their aviation aerodynamics & ballistic missile designs are superb.

2 Likes

I didn’t quote out of context, I just agreed that it should perform better in those conditions. It currently doesn’t.

Your post is literally above mine. I only quoted part of your post because quoting the whole thing deletes the whole quote and leaves it as just a reply for some reason if posted…