Sukhoi Su-27/30/33/35/37 Flanker series & Su-34 Fullback - History, Design, Performance & Dissection

I didn’t call them intakes, I said they are vents above the intakes in reference to overpressure relief which would imply an exhaust. That’s why they face the rear.

Only to be promptly blocked by the FOD door? What are you even claiming here?

(F-18C w/ GE-402 engines, the improved ones)

F-18C has a empty T/W of ~1.6
Su-27 has a empty T/W of ~1.4

On 50% internal fuel the F-18C has a T/W of 1.25
On 50% internal fuel the Su-27 has a T/W of 1.10

So no, the F-18 has better power to weight in most relevant conditions. It’s just slow because it has higher drag by design.

You did. You just do not remember because you are lying so much you forgot.

Sounds like you know the answer and have sources to back them up… But if that was the case you wouldn’t be making these absurd statements.

That was in reference to the mig-29 which indeed has auxiliary intakes… Nothing to do with F-14.

1 Like

You drop it down & the Su-27 murders the F-18. You know how much fuel the Su27 carries little guy?

I do not understand why you cannot answer the question did GJ model the Su-27 & Mig-29, wrong yes or no?

Well I do, its because you actually have no idea lol.

50% internal fuel for Su-27 is a horrible comparison it is supposed to dogfight at no more than 30% lol

so ++ to zig for that coz wtf did u expect

2 Likes

For real, who picks 50% for an aircraft that hold a tremendous amount of fuel???

You put them in dogfight fuel states or min fuel. Those Saturn engines are taking you to the moon.

Mig-29??? forget about it.

30% fuel for the Su-27 is ~2,820kg of fuel

With that much fuel on both planes (benefitting the Su-27)…

F-18C w/ 2,820kg fuel: TWR of 1.21
Su-27 w/ 2,820kg fuel: TWR of 1.21

Interesting… So the Su-27 needs the F-18C to have a higher percentage fuel load to match its’ T/W… But which one of these is the fighter with “low T/W”?

At no point outside of vastly uneven comparisons does the Su-27 really beat out the F-18C in power to weight.

But you then said they are not intakes lol

This guy is all over the place lol.

Stop misquoting what I said. The F-22s vents open to the rear, as does the F-14 and SR-71s.

You claimed the F-22s were copied from the MiG-29 and that they were auxiliary intakes. This isn’t the case.

Anyone can just click on the little arrow top right of your post if they need to see more context. Stop the antics.

Yay more of his math. LMFAO

Are the animations correct? I don’t know I haven’t looked. Are you wrong? Absolutely. The vents you have been referring to on the Su-27 do not function the same way as the intakes on the MiG-29.

Ah I see. You don’t know if the intake louvers open in flight for the Su-27 or Mig-29 at angles of attack…

But you are certain I am wrong though?

lol dude you are obsessed. Its a little scary tbh.
GG boys gtg. This was funny.

They don’t function the same… GJ seems to agree with me… ENJOY!

A couple videos of these ‘intakes’ as you’ve referred to them on the Su-27 from the game does not validate anything you’ve said. You even claimed the F-22’s pressure relief doors were intakes.

Just provide a source that agrees with what you’re claiming. The schedules for the operation of these parts of the intake is in the respective manuals for the MiG-29 and the Su-27. They do not function as you claim.

I found where my math error was. I took gross weight only, not empty + fuel weight.

Are these publicly searchable or have they been posted here?

1 Like

In regards to the Su-27s vent under the intake the manual appears to state they are spring loaded and open / shut based on airflow alone. Each vent can open or shut as air pushes on it and thus is a function of aerodynamic pressure and not AoA. There appears to be no hydraulic drive of any kind forcing them open during maneuvers. When the mesh FOD door is up the pressure from the intake and lack of airflow under the plane will generally keep them shut.

For the MiG-29, the auxiliary intakes do not have ready access to incoming air during the cobra maneuver, rather the engine just loses thrust during such moments because of the restricted airflow. Luckily, the RD-33 is resistant to flameouts during such maneuvers.

I must reiterate: the Su-27 stalls to perform the Cobra, the F-22s overpressure vents are not intakes copied from the MiG-29, and Ziggy has no clue what he’s discussing as he has not read the manuals. He needs to stop making stuff up on the spot.

Both

NO DUH

You thought they were hydraulic?! lol.

lol if you are under any angle of attack what does that mean, genius?

Airflow pushes the doors down and feeds the engines for optimal engine output when flying at angle of attack. That is why they only open at ANGLE OF ATTACK.

They do not open in regular flight. They operate entirely on airflow that pushes the doors down in angle of attack.

He literally defeated his own argument.

You indicated it was reliant on angle of attack with the context that it was activated on an electronic schedule and yet it is still blocked by the FOD door. It doesn’t function as you’ve described.

No, I was incorrect. Suction from the intake pulls them up as needed when more airflow is required.

No, they also open when engine is under load and aircraft is at slow speeds except when FOD door is down all the way.

That is false.

You tried to make it seem like you knew all along and then blew it lol

We are getting somewhere :)

“with the context was activated on a electric schedule”

lol nope, just good old fashion airflow at angle of attack. I never said, “electronic schedule”.

“The suction from the intake pulls them as needed.” he says.

“When the engine is under a load”

Holy crap, he still trying to act like he knows what he’s talking about.

They do not open on the ground. They do not open in straight level flight.

They only open in… angle of attack.

:)

He’s slowly figuring it out, we should give him some more time. he’ll get there.

1 Like