Sukhoi Su-27/30/33/35/37 Flanker series & Su-34 Fullback - History, Design, Performance & Dissection

They are saying that the 27ER is reacting to inputs after losing lock. IOG is not psychic. It should be flying towards where it expects them to be based on the last known trajectory. It shouldn’t react to changes after the lock is lost. I don’t know if it actually does this or not, just clarifying their argument.

I’m fairly certain there are aspects of the game code which we can’t see in data mines. There is often changes in official patch notes which can’t be seen in the data mines.

3 Likes

IR missiles track through terrain as well

I suspect it also affects aim9m

Not unlikely, the autopilot seems to be way more accurate than it should be when the seeker shutoff toggles

I don’t think this has ever really been the case. There is sometimes patch notes with changes that came previously or have not yet come, though. They always show up in the datamine… feel free to show me I’m wrong of course.

I can’t find the changes with regards to chaff from this server update in the associated datamine.

So I assume they are changed in the binary files, which we can’t see.

You mean the changes to all these radars?

1 Like

This comment was some time ago, but would you mind sharing which specific pages and what document this is from? @BBCRF We are working on the report to fix the Su-27 now. I hope we can forward these issues.

@unluckyg @DracoMindC @Giovanex05
What we must do is test a larger amount of charts, variables, etc from the manuals to ensure everything matches 1:1. If there is a discrepancy with what is said in the manual and how it performs in-game… it must be documented and compiled into a larger list so we can formulate a report on the issue. Currently we know the issue from datamine, but we are unable to use that to bug report. So we must adjust and collect data.

Once we think there is sufficient data we need to compile it into a singular report. I suggest we start with verifying stall speeds, speed or altitude loss during aerobatic maneuvers, so on. If anyone needs the manuals / charts please let us know so we can distribute them and ensure everyone is able to test.

3 Likes

Chapter 6 Fighter Aircraft Design

I won’t be home until the 7th of January, and I have 2 exams to give before the 12th so I won’t have a lot of time to do testing before that day.

I do

1 Like

I’m referring to conditions where no pitch inputs (aka neutral evelator) above stall speed. Su 27 is not “relaxed” stability.

So above stall speed and no input it’s supposed to be rock steady or going to stabilise.

Also to overall FM in game slower you go more evelator input you need to keep AoA. In some jet in game it’s opposite… And some prop like MB5 and some Spitfires

I am pretty busy this winter so I wont be able to help much with this for the next few days, best of luck though

It’s commonly due to the aerodynamic center being shifted forward as the elevator is shadowed by the separated flow from the stalled wing and the fuselage, usually above 40 deg AOA. This causes the static margin being reduced to negative as the more AOA you gained, the more pitch-up moment is generated, resulting in an uncommanded pitch-up even with a neutral elevator. The reduced static margin also contributes to the Cobra maneuver.

You can check it from the Cm curve of a neutral stab. The static margin is indicated by the slope (derivative) of the neutral stab Cm curve. Examples of F-16 and F-18:

F16 Cm

F18 Cm

An especially violent version of this phenomenon was what caused the F-104’s sudden pitch up stalls, right?

A boresight acm mode for the 27 would be nice. As it is right now the vertical scan scans too slowly and the hmd sometimes locks, sometimes doesn’t. I’ve missed numerous r-27er opportunities due to clunky radar controls. A small constantly scanning boresight mode like in the f-15 and the mirage would help with quick target acquisition a lot. Especially in these 16v16 matches.

And if we’re to talk about real life accuracy of this mode existing, well it does exist, in fact it’s the primary ACM mode on flankers. And also you know, the flanker is supposed to have about 500 rounds of ammo, not 150, but no one talks about that.

The chart at the bottom says that :
перегрузки, превышающие ограничения
ηу max=8 при М<0,85; ηу max=5,5 при М≥0,85

overloads exceeding the limits
ηu max=8 at M<0.85; ηu max=5.5 at M≥0.85

if you have a source on these please make a bug report

I can read your post with understanding. Can do you??

Plane it’s in normal flight godition not extending 5-10 AoA from 300km/h to ~680km/h… With minimal input going suddenly into deep stall condition.

Any way
Just go into game use full controls and check your self or at least compare to other planes…

Again it depends on the game’s coding of the static margin at those specific AOA. The small tail F-16A from the example above has a negative static margin at 0-15 AOA, so it would not be stabilized and sudden pitch departure can happen if no input is given at higher speeds. It’s possible that the Su-27 is given similar static margin in game.

If you don’t think the Su-27 should have such a low static margin then you should report it.

BTW the DCS Su-27 is just a bad example. At the very first release, the dev said the aircraft should exhibit neutral static margin at low AOA, which was the case back then. But with later updates the static margin get increased and increased, and now you can fly the aircraft just fine without the SDU (FBW) as if it’s a stable aircraft.

1 Like