Sukhoi Su-27/30/33/35/37 Flanker series & Su-34 Fullback - History, Design, Performance & Dissection (Part 3)

If you can get to ETs or 77-1s it’ll get a lot easier, ERs are just broken atm. </3

1 Like

Pretty sure thats a separate older issue

I haven’t a clue, hence asking here.

image
Ate half the lobby

1 Like

Does anyone actually have photos of Su-35S with drop tanks?

It’s listed in the brochure, and at the KNAAPO website, the latter of which DOES mention serial production Su-35S so I would assume they wouldn’t just drop the ability to use the tanks.
image
image
https://web.archive.org/web/20120730185357/http://www.knaapo.ru/eng/products/su-35/index.wbp

They also look slimmer than the ones found on the Su-34.

I wonder if they ever got photographed, I personally haven’t seen an image of it.

1 Like

That’s what I’m looking for.

There was a section on that website I shared about Early Serial Su-35S’, but it seems like not all of the images were archived.

Also the image shows rudder fuel tanks, I don’t remember if those are actually on the production Su-35.

1 Like

I would assume so. Pretty sure the Su-27M used them, and it would help explain why the 35S is so h e a v y.

who the hell is De Armas

images
Bladerunner crush

3 Likes

Ohhhhhh.

yeah fair enough

yes becasue the Su-34 uses the 3000 litre PTB-3000 tanks and the Su-35S could use the 2000litre PTB-2000

also found this saying that the 27SKM can also use external tanks but i couldnt find where exactly it is from
su27smk-1.gif

1 Like

from what i heard it is becasue they reinforced the airframe so it can carry heavier ordinance

1 Like

i think that they arent inside the rudder but rather below the rudders

bc on the image they are too thick to actually be inside the rudders itself

1 Like

Yeah that’s true to be fair, rudder doesn’t look wide enough.

They are probably right under like you said, the part right under looks more like it:

Maybe not exactly before the elevator part like I pointed, since that space would likely be used from the mechanism.

1 Like


they do look thicker than Su-27 rudders tho. But considering that Su-35S escorted Putin to Iran without drop tanks - you need some very long range combat mission for them to be equipped with those.

1 Like

Dont need for long range combat mission either, I think - just a long patrol will do (considering the sheer size of airspace of Russia - make sense)

AL-41s don’t eat a lot of fuel on mil power from my understanding, on top of the fact that Su-35S won’t be carrying its 69420 missiles for a combat patrol. As i said, they flew to Iran without drop tanks. Pilot fatigue might kick in before fuel situation would require considering drop tanks

the Su-35 carries more fuel than other flankers i think it was around 11 tons of fuel iirc