Sukhoi Su-27/30/33/35/37 Flanker series & Su-34 Fullback - History, Design, Performance & Dissection (Part 3)


R-77M Closeup

6 Likes

Looks like there are 2 versions, with radar and laser fusess, maybe even the different seekerhead. At 0:04 switch was to a different missile you can see different fuses and markings

3 Likes

Not quite

This is what George said about it

image

RVV-SDM is R-77M

And George hates Ramjet AAMs.
image

3 Likes

Ah, makes sense. I was considering the fact that the first one is a different missile.

I also don’t consider ramjets a good choice. I believe that Meteor was made this way simply because there was no other choice, MDBA simply didn’t had a good conventional rocket motor and had to compromise with a ramjet.

1 Like

I mean it does give some STUPID high range and speed.

But it’s likely less maneuverable than non-ramjet missiles.

Average speed is good, but max range not so much. Ramjet inlet causes a ton of drag, solid propellant gas generator takes up valuable space, combustion chamber takes up space, and initial solid rocket takes up space. Missile thrust also decreases with altitude while solid rocket increases

Personally I would not be surprised if PL-15 has only slightly worse average speed/time to target than meteor in some BVR scenarios

1 Like

Pl-15 is Gods Favorite Missile.

5 Likes

I picked it because it is similar in weight lol.

But when you see popularly stated figures like 100km in 90 seconds, you have to consider the original quote said it was in about 1 and a half minutes, which could also be 100 seconds.

Then consider it could be launched at Mach 2 due to semi recessed launchers on EFT at 40-50k ft, where the solid rocket booster would get it up to speed and let it sit in its absolute peak efficiency speed of around Mach 3-3.5

1 Like

China couldn’t turn even goated Kh-31 into an air to air missile, this gives quite solid hint on how good ramjet is for air to air purposes

1 Like

I figure if Ramjet AAMs are as good as Europeans claim then China, Russia, or the U.S. would put on in service.

1 Like

You see, China and Russia are just stupid, and US would never accept that Europeans made something better so they say that ramjet is trash just out of spite

4 Likes

That’s what made me question the meteor’s performance, ramjets definitely weren’t chosen for a lack of previous experience

1 Like

Shout out Rafale Dogfight.

Cope went from
“Didn’t happen”
to
“Raptor had Drop Tanks”
to
“Rafale started offensive”
to
“Rafale shot the Raptor down after the excersise when the Raptor Pilot wasn’t trying”

1 Like

Everything in Engineering is a trade off.

So for all that speed they must have lost something.

Since we don’t see other countries fielding it. It probably lost a lot of something important.

2 Likes

Brother US still denies that Su-27UB and F-15B did a dogfight in 1992.

2 Likes

One big thing is extreme altitude performance, ramjet on meteor will not work past a certain altitude while conventional AAM has no problems. Also, the whole rocket motor thrust at altitude thing

1 Like

… they did?

Who won?

Well. Actually, since I don’t know about it, I assume the Su-27UB won by a wild margin.

1 Like

It’s a rumor, it was a goodwill meetup at Langley right after the Cold War, new beginnings and all that

I see.

I did know about the Russian Knights performing in the U.S, but I never heard of any dogfighting.