Strv 123A incoming to Swedish military!

Swedish army really pay a lot on land systems upgrade. They just announced a new IFV plan.(Might be CV9035)
https://www.fmv.se/aktuellt--press/aktuella-handelser/forprojektering-for-ersattningsanskaffning-av-stridsfordon/

1 Like

That is not correct. the first part of the document talks about history and the part i quoted is about the 122B. if you can read Swedish then the bottom two paragrafs in the middle column on the first page are of interest to the 122B. the 122B+ is talked about from the last paragraf of the right column on the first page and onwards.

sounds about right, but as i stated, its just a guess from me and the Swedish military is known for saying as little as possible (“en svensk tiger”).

It’s a CV9035 Mk.III C

And it’s talking about “satisfactory mine protection”. So yes, it is exactly the same as what they did on the 2A6M CAN - and nothing to do with the tank’s composite.

Yeah, they will build a new ammunition system.

correct.
does the Leopard 2A7V get extra internal armour above this 2A6—>2A6M upgrade?
Because what you quoted is discussing the internal changes specifically.

A bit of an update and compilation so far:
Leopard:
The 2A5 —> 2A6 upgrade is basically only the L/44 — > L/55 gun upgrade
The 2A6 —> 2A6M upgrade is mine protection and might even include some external armor used by Canada in Afghanistan (source: Product Information | KMW)
The 2A6M —> 2A7V is the upgrade of: internal systems, Barracuda camo, same external armor used by Canadas 2A6M in Afghanistan (put onto non upgraded 2A7), better thermals/night vision, upgraded L/55A1 gun with programmable ammo and better APU.

Strv:
122A: is a Leopard 2A5 with upgraded armor.
122B: Added Mine protection in the same manor as the 2A6M (both internally and externally) and Barracuda camo.
122B+ (only a technical demonstrator!): added more external armor.
123A: adds the L/55 gun (original or A1 variant unknown, but they mention programmable ammo, anyone know if both L/55 and L/55A1 can use programmable?), new night sights (and or thermals, it seems a bit unclear) and internal electrical components to make it equivalent to “other modern Leopard 2’s”

so the main differences i can see between the strv 123A and the Leopard 2A7V is the engine, APU and remote controlled weapon station.

anyone see any more differences?
Edit, removed RWS turret from 2A7V after more information was given.

Tbh theres probs alot of Info on the new 123 left out of the initial order its best to wait for more information to release later on that would hopefully release closer to the expected production date

Absolutely ^^
Its just fun to speculate and have a smal glimmer of hope of an early WT addition around the same time (or soon after) the addition of the Leopard 2A7V :)

Yes they all can be programmable, even the L/44 (see 2PSO and 2PL which have DM11). It just needs the programming module.

2A7V does not have a remote weapons station, the 2A7+ does. Also we need more information to about the 123A before making conclusions on differences.

Cool! thx :)

is the 2A7V and the 2A7+ not the exact same end result built from two different bases? (i.e; 2A7V is built from 2A6M and 2A7+ is built from base 2A7) or have i misunderstood this?

nah 2a7+ , has some additonal things like the addition of the PSO and war kits the leo 2a5 PSO currently has as well

2A7V
A7V-01

2A7+ (which can be modified for different kits)

oh okay thank you :)
i will remove the turret from the list :)

realy hope germany will get a remote weapon station for the 2A8, recent situations have proven how important anti air capability vs drones is

1 Like

PSO?
what kits?

Yes, you only need the ADL (Advanced Data Link) for that, normal Leopard 2A7 already fires DM11 thanks to it.

2A7V is

2A7V is built from 2A6M and 2A7+ is built from base 2A7

2A7V is newly built (well, at least the hulls are)
Turrets come from existing tanks (usually Leopard 2A7 or Leopard 2A6)

basicaly the name of the armor modules, PSO is the extra site armor while WAR propably describes the extra hull armor

Thank you ^^

doesn’t PSO stand for peace support operation?
i think you are talking about the slat armor the 2A7+ has that the 2A7V is only prepared for but does not yet have.