South Korean Ground Forces Tech Tree

Also I’m curious about the MD500. This case was the first airplane manufacturing plant in South Korea, but the MD500 was being built prior to this as a “helicopter”, so who was the one building the MD500?

Korean Air produced the first Korean-made MD500 on August 20, 1976 (Hugues License)

4 Likes

The J85 jet engine of the kf-5 was designed by the United States.
Purchasing processing tools and raw materials from other countries does not call it military cooperation

3 Likes

+1
I Like it. Maybe south Korean and Turkish Tech Tree?

2 Likes

no

1 Like

Hello, please do discuss the contents about South Korean vehicles here. Be on topic.

8 Likes

I wonder when we will see the PIP variant of K2

I disagree on giving South Korea it’s own TT, I don’t think it has enough vehicles for it. I also don’t think that WT really needs anymore standalone TTs. We have enough as it is. That said, I think South Korea should be a sub tree of the United States. The only alternative I can think of would be Japan, but even when they are defacto allies in both being enemies of China, they refuse to converse with one another during exercises without a US ship to act as an intermediary, and only really share geography as a reason to have SoKo as a Japanese sub tree. The US has extensive military and political ties to Korea, far more so then Japan even if they were on speaking terms. The only argument against such a sub tree would be that the US, strictly speaking, doesn’t need a subtree. If we go by that logic, however, it could be argued we don’t need South Korea in the game either. Moreover, by making South Korea a US subtree, they would benefit from having a plethora of vehicles to fill in any potential br gaps and would get all the shiny new US vehicles that are released, such as the F-35 when it gets added. This would completely sidestep the issue that minor nations have historically faced where the US and Russia get the newest jets, while everyone else is stuck with the older gens and cannot, realistically, compete.

4 Likes

Confused

6 Likes

About what?

not with out north korea they have some unice stuff

4 Likes

Zero interest sorry

sounds makes fun. disagree.

This is a cursed topic at this point, they could make South Korea the same as Israel and they would have enough unique vehicles (I think more), but right before top-tier they might not have as many viable lineups as other nations. They could also add it as a sub-tree but it lost on that end, America doesn’t need one and Japan would benefit from one but then there would be a disagreement with the community. I am more in favour of only South Korea being added like Israel.

3 Likes

IIRC the KAI KF-5E is also an improvement over the standard F-5E. Likewise the KF-16C isn’t identical to the USAF’s F-16C (though in that case I don’t know that there’d be any differences that matter to gameplay), and likewise the F-15K has differences from the F-15E. And since in all likelihood we’ll see stuff like the Eurofighter and Rafale implemented within the next year, the KF-21 Boramae would also become fair game in the near future. IMO that would provide sufficient South Korean identity to the air tree. Sure, it would mostly be American airframes, but that just puts South Korea in the same boat as Israel.

As far as real-life political considerations go? This is a video game, that shouldn’t be anywhere near the top priority to worry about.

1 Like

The KF-5 only differs with a slightly different nose, APG-159, LEX, and AN/ALR-46(V)9 all of which are American developed upgrades that can be represented on a later block American F-5F or F-5N. The sole thing that is purely Korean is a single bomb.

The KF-16C just mounted the ASPJ which again is a US jamming pod fully capable of being added to US F-16s. The K prefix in both cases is just to represent domestic production of many systems over some specialized variant.

Finally the F-15Ks only differences airframe wise are a slightly modified TEWS and the AAS-42 which is once again a US developed system that could easily be mounted on any F-15E. As for unique weapons it just uses a German bomb.

These aren’t planes with a bunch of Korean modifications, they just bought the optional packages all built by Americans. At least Israel put some unique Israeli developed missiles and radars on their planes and even then they are considered a massive cpp air tree.

Israel has a lot more vehicles than South Korea. SK on its own would be abysmal as a tech tree. The only way you could make it work is by either
A joining them together with North Korea or
B adding them to the nation they have the strongest ties to

3 Likes

Uh… What?

I seriously don’t understand why the US not strictly needing Korea is a deal breaker for such a subtree. If we use the logic of whether or not the game needs something to justify it’s inclusion, then S. Korea shouldn’t be added in the first place, outside of premium or event vehicles, as that dev time would objectively be better spent fleshing out existing trees then adding more new tech trees. Yeah, the US does not need a sub tree, but it is the best option if you want to see S. Korean vehicles ingame and nothing is degraded by giving the US a subtree.

1 Like

I understand your point of view but at one point or another they will be added we just don’t know how, that’s the big question, cause all nations have test examples of vehicles that could be added but recently it has been a lot of copy and paste rather than new vehicles

1 Like