Would you like to see this in game?
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

Turning All Aspect

ALASCAfoto

Old body, new face

History

Around the 1970s, many countries were working on developing the next generation of IR missiles. Germany, USA, UK among others. Most interestingly, the predecessor to our star today is the BGT Viper Missile. While it never made it to production and was at a stage where only mass production remained, the US Aim-9L program overtook it due to a number of factors being cost and speed of development, even though the viper was better than the 9L in a number of ways.

What Germany had that the US did not was modern cooled IR seeker technology. This was what gave the Viper an edge over the 9L. So when the engineers discovered some issues with the seeker being developed for the Aim-9L, there emerged a risk of the whole program being rendered defunct. This led BGT to offer a hybrid of the Aim-9H body with the Viper missile seeker-head.

While initially the body of the Aim-9H from the Navy was intended to be used, Deihl utilised the new Aim-9L body (as the seeker was not ready) and mated the Viper seeker to it. This missile was named the ALASCA missile.

Mundane fact: “ALASCA” stands for ALL ASpect CApability.

Testing

This missile was tested at China Lake until 1978 on US Navy and F-4F Phantoms (presumably German as no one else had those), but was not adopted since the issues with the Aim-9L were resolved by that point. The ALASCA had a 30% larger seeker detection range as compared to the Aim-9H.

Technical Specifications

Launch weight: ~87kg
Aspect: All-Aspect
Lock Range: 7.15km (30% more than Aim-9H)
Missile Acceleration: Same as Aim-9L
Missile Thrust: Same as Aim-9L
Maximum speed: Same as Aim-9L
Maximum overload: Same as Aim-9L
Warhead mass: 4.58 kg (TNT equivalent) Same as Aim-9L
Maximum range: Same as Aim-9L

Visual References

ALASCA missile in War Thunder

Two aircraft in War Thunder can receive this missile:

• F-4F Late
    The other is the US F4 (navy (i cant remember the exact variant)) but i might have to make a separate suggestion for that.
Sources
5 Likes

I think the F-4F should just get it’s 9Ls ngl

3 Likes

Perhaps it’s make for a decent option after or before the Aim-9L depending on how it preforms in comparison to it. The range increase is indeed an upgrade, however I think I’d like to see how it’s flare resistance and seeker FOV appears ingame first, as that’s going to be the deciding factor for me as to if it should be before or after the Aim-9L in the modifications tree.
(Ofc the Aim-9L should be added to the F-4F first as well to go along with this missiles :P)

1 Like

Dude the diagram makes it look like they turned an AIM-9B all aspect thats fire

1 Like

Forgive me if im being blind but you claim

but all your sources seem to say that it was cancelled in 1974 (first flight planned for 75) if there is a source that states this could you show me?

I dont but id be foolish to hold a grudge against foolishness

By all you mean my first link?
Which is basically a simple comment of a guy on a forum TALKING ABOUT THE DORNIER VIPER

IN THE VERY SAME FORUM just a bit below, you will find this

so yes, you are being blind.

i dont take lightly those who try to sabotage me
let him know this as well

I am sorry, I had mixed up the Viper and ALASCA, and no I checked all your sources, just I was looking for things called Viper because I had thought they were the same, sorry