Shenyang J-11, J-16, J-15, History, Performance & Discussion

With a J-11 variant almost certainly to come thiis update, I wonder Gaijin will model the difference between Su-27S and Su-27SK (slightly different avionics, reinforced landing gear, heavier payload)

1 Like

They usually have in the past, but my question is if the Chinese changed anything when they produced the first J-11’s or will they be identified to the SK?

1 Like

China’s Su-27sk is still called Su-27sk. Only the Su-27 made in China is called J-11A. Maybe a little bit of domestic equipment is added?

1 Like

Usually I don’t quote wiki, but wiki’s descirption of J-11 variants seem pretty accurate:

Su-27SK:

• Export version of the Su-27S, with a reinforced landing gear allowing for a 33 tonnes maximum take-off weight, and a N001M radar with additional air-to-ground modes.

J-11:

• Chinese assembled Su-27SK derivative with Russian-supplied kits in early production run, differs from the original Su-27SK mainly in avionics: the original N001M radar developed by Tikhomirov Scientific Research Institute of Instrument Design (NIIP) with NII (Russian acronym for Scientific Research Institute) Argon Ts101 processor installed on Su-27SK is replaced by NIIR N001V radar using NII Argon Ts101M processor. In comparison to the N001M that would lose all remaining targets tracked when engaging 1 of tracked target, the N001V radar on J-11 can simultaneously track 10 targets and engage 1 of the 10 tracked without losing the rest 9 tracked during engagement.

• The original Russian navigation system was woefully inadequate to meet the PLAAF need, so a domestic Chinese system was installed, but due to incompatibility, information could not be displayed on the CRT display of the Russian flight instruments; and as a result, Chinese added another CRT display atop of the original CRT display to show the navigational information pilot needed.

• By 2015, J-11s were upgraded with Chinese-made MAWS. Unconfirmed upgrades included improved cockpit displays, and fire control systems for R-77 or PL-10 missiles

J-11A:

• Chinese assembled Su-27SK from Russian-supplied kits in late production run, differs from J-11 mainly in avionics: the original NIIP N001V radar with NII Argon Ts101M processor on J-11 is replaced by NIIR N001VE radar on J-11A using Baguet BCVM-486-6 processor, resulting in N001VE on J-11A being capable of simultaneously engaging two of ten targets tracked with semi-active radar homing (SRAH) air-to-air missiles (AAM) and compatibility for R-77/RVV-AE; as well as capabilities of moving target indication (MTI) and mapping, detecting low flying or hovering helicopters, and increased tracking distance up to 70 km.

• By the later stage of the production run, China solved the incompatibility problem previously had, and flight instruments was upgraded accordingly, so the two display-only CRT displays on J-11 were replaced by a single multi-function LCD surrounded by control keys on three sides. The original Russian radar warning receivers have also been replaced by a more capable domestic Chinese missile approach warning system (MAWS).

1 Like

I guess I’m hopefully we will get an RWR that’s actually somewhat modern, unlike the Mig-29A

We got the J-11 for China (not the J-11A)

2 Likes

_~BL0SET)TKIQPZ}T(FZE49_tmb

7 Likes

We now have the Chinese voice warning as well!!

3 Likes

yes! cant wait to hear the sound like what i heard in DCS

1 Like

As in dev server, the J-11 is not a copy of Su-27. It is slightly heavier (due to extra internal fuel tank?) and thus slightly worse flight characteristics.

seens that the extra weight make J11 better

2 Likes

That guy doesn’t know what he’s talking about. Compare them at the same weights and they are identical. The J-11 has more empty weight but that is the only single line of code difference.

It’s 570kg heavier on empty weight. That is it. The only difference in the code is a single line.

3 Likes

Yes, empty weight is still weight at the end of the day lol. It’s the worst kind of weight.

You just contradicted yourself by stating the ONLY difference is a single line of code.

Than that means the PLAAF flanker is over performing regardless of my post stall characteristic claim being that its around 1234 lbs. heavier.

To put in perspective. That is an additional R27ER and 2x R73s hanging from the Chinese flanker that it can never shake off.

If it is performing on par with the Russian Flanker means it is already overperforming genius.

I believe this due to the Su-27SK that the J-11 is built after being heavier with stronger landing gear and other slight changes right?

1 Like

Possibly, I don’t know a whole lot about the specific flanker variants. What I do know is that the Chinese models in the future will outclass the Russian ones. In all areas.

1 Like

The J-16 is probably the best Flanker in the world right now, however it’s a ways away I feel. But yeah, even after the base J-11, the Chinese are quick to upgrade their own flankers with better equipment. The funny thing is that they are also in possession of the best Russian flanker in service, the Su-35 as well

4 Likes

The Chinese have the most advanced Flankers at the moment. The Federation however is still sitting on lots of technology if they can get their priorities straight and funding.

1 Like

Dosnt help that Russians not really making anything past the Su-35

2 Likes

No

1 Like

The best flanker is the Su-35S

3 Likes