Shenyang J-11, J-16, J-15, History, Performance & Discussion

So the Encyclopedia of Chinese Aircrafts as previously mentioned does not count as a viable source? I was about to purchase it :)

There’s copy online If you want that alternative.

Dm me if you want a drive that contains them.

The point is that the kind of encyclopedia I’m talking about is not a sufficient source.

Of course, there is a possibility that the developer may reject this.

3 Likes

It’s fine, if it isn’t a viable source for reports I won’t even bother reading it. How long is it though?

There’s 4 volumes and about ~1800 pages

I’m wondering if there is anything at this point that can be considered “source” apart from some random screenshots of powerpoint presentations given by officials…

1 Like

Su-27M used slotted N011, Su-30MKK - yes, uses N001V(E?)

Right, cause from my source which actually aligns with the wikipedia quite well, the it uses the same radar as the early Su35s, although wikipedia does mention only first 20 planes used the PESA N001VEP, the rest are Zhuk-MS radars which are also X-band Pulse Doppler radars.

1. It doesn’t
  2. N001VET doesn’t exist
  3. Su-35S uses N035 PESA
  4. Zhuk-MS never was applied to serial production planes

Sorry correction, VEP.

It’s not PESA, it’s Cassegrain antenna, same as basic N001, it’s used by Su-27SM(3) and Su-30MK2

1 Like

There is apparently a PESA version of N001 called N001 VEP PERO as it is called in wikipedia, but I have also seen other sources stating similar developments without mentioning what it was mounted on or which particular weapon system is compatiable with.

Just a new edit, I was looking at a bunch of older forum notes 17 years ago, it says that the PERO was offered to N001VEP as an upgrade and it is just a swap of the antenna, but Chinese took Zhuk-MSE over the PERO due to ground scan abilities.

Well yeah but as we know, 中国飞机全书 is fully dedicated to Chinese aircraft so it shouldn’t fall under those circumstances.

Totally understand it but seeing the bigger picture, since there aren’t many Chinese sources this could be seen as an exception to the rule, i’m not sure if it has been used for bug reports already.

Pero is whole new radar, it has nothing to do with N001, except that it’s supposed to replace it. There is no N## name for Pero. I don’t know a single aircraft with Zhuk-MSE.

Yeah it was supposed to be for Su30MK3 before the whole thing was scrapped as China turned to J11D/J16 projects and AESA radar was starting to be available. Can you show me the PERO part, since many people seem to be suggesting for 20 years now that the PERO antenna could be fitted to N001.

Well Pero is name for antenna array, it’s just wasn’t fitted to anything at the end

Maybe it somehow can be placed on elements of N001 but there is no name for it, since probably it never appeared in complete radar station

The design competition of NIIP and NIIR produced these things and in the end nobody won the proposal cause the proposal dissapeared as China started J11B and J16 production. Some people said that China asked for improved avionics in 2003 and was granted upgrade of N001V.
Some suggests the PERO N001VEP version was mounted on a Su30MK2 prototype, never any proof given.

Internet is filled of such made up things, nothing of these is supported by NIIP book I have, I mean such things aren’t mentioned.

If that is the case why give Chinese mains the joke of the J-11A, you picked a fighter which you guys already knew would be mediocre and any attempt to get the aircraft replaced with the J-11B or other vehicles were immediately rejected or ignored.

The flight performance of the SU-27 was already bad, the SU-27SM at least has a good RWR and a decent radar going for it but this is completely otherwise for the J-11A.

4 Likes

anything else would have required effort

3 Likes