Shenyang J-11, J-16, J-15, History, Performance & Discussion

the central fins on the PL-11 are much larger than the tail fins, they look the same size in that photo so I’d say that’s a PL-12.

Could just be a model of PL12 or a training round.

J16 and JH7A can carry YL-5 (YJ1000) guided bomb.

SU-30MKK and SU-30MK2 can use KH29TE, which has a longer range than KH-29T.

IMG_20240819_162950

I’ll add this to the J-16 suggestion.

1 Like

Errrr…The photo shows that J-11 has ability to carry more than 2*R27ETs, right?

5 Likes

Gaijin is aware of the fact that they can use R-27ET in every station - it is a balancing decision to limit them to two per aircraft afaik. Any word on this before someone submits a report? @Gunjob

I’m not aware of it being a balancing decision, you’re free to report it.

3 Likes

How should missile placed between engines work? Nose obstructs FoV.

Are images sufficient or do I need more than that?

These seekers are on a gimbal, presumably it is launched at targets below the aircraft.
Although I don’t see how the nose is going to obstruct the FoV any more than the R-77’s which is active off the rail in ACM range whether target is above aircraft or not. I suppose it will work the same way for ET’s.

I had no idea they could carry more than 2 IRL, all loadout sheets I’ve seen have only shown them in those 2 pylons

Images are fine, but its a case of more is better. So if you’ve only got images try to pack in as many as you can.

Probably a Chinese modification.

1 Like

R-27ET needs a special cooling pylon to use, which is only able to mont on that 2 hard point, so I guess it’s a modification.

1 Like

R-27ET can be used un-cooled, so if that is the case they are likely sacrificing seeker performance by mounting them in that configuration. This, or they utilized a modified seeker / pylon.

Further research is needed before a suggestion is made. It is possible that these are upgraded Ukrainian R-27 missiles and not the original Russian seeker.

1 Like

Image_1726981975296
Another image

It could be the same as HMD extreme off axis launch, but ET has modified with IRST perhaps? If you off axis launch in theory for like a very small amount of time before it actually sees the designated target.

-27T/ET - all-course IC GSN 9-B-1023 (36T). The development of IC GSN “36T” was carried out by NPO Geophysics of the Ministry of General Instrumentation of the USSR. The capture of the IR GOS target was to be carried out when the missile was suspended under the carrier aircraft, and to increase the capture range, it provided for the installation of two photodetectors, one of which was cooled. Liquefied nitrogen was used as a refrigerant. In a joint flight, when the rocket was suspended under the carrier, nitrogen was supplied from a high-pressure cylinder located in the launcher, and in an autonomous flight of the rocket - from a storage device in the GOS itself. The presence of a second, uncooled photodetector in the GOS made it possible to use the missile in the absence of refrigerant on board the aircraft, but with lower realizable target acquisition ranges (ist. - Su-27 fighter…). .

Spoiler

. The GOS capture sector is 110 degrees
The continuous operation time of the GOS with the photodetector cooling system turned on is 3 hours.

Spoiler

____________010_119 (1)
401404_original.jpg.1993249e2abee24353f065d505713837

Ukrainian-Chinese…A3-10

2 Likes