Shackleton MR Mk.2's strange cylinder?

Hey all, I was just wondering what the strange retractable cylinder on the Shackleton was, I can’t seem to find it through any quick research, my first thought was some form of radar but the Shackleton’s radar was chin mounted…
Thanks!

Radar

1 Like

You’re thinking of the Mk. 1. The radar was moved to the ventral position on the Mk. 2, which is the version in game.

2 Likes

Im not an expert although I have flown in one.The MR2 didn’t have the chin bulge but it did have retractable radar and sonar buoys which the cylinder might be.If I remember right the later versions had the radar from the Gannet and the nose bulge.

MR I/T.4 MR ,MR 2,AEW.2,MR 3 all different variants of Shak

1 Like

Yep, the ASV 13 was placed in the ventral retractable radome on the MR 2 and MR 3 (as a side note, the Phase III mod of the MR 3 had two Armstrong Siddeley Vipers installed, which would be kinda cool to see in game). And as you said there was the AEW version of the MR 2 converted in 1972, which put AN/APS-20 radars recycled from the Gannet AEW.3s in a nose bulge (although different from the one used on the MR 1) as a stopgap until the E-3s arrived in 1991.

2 Likes

Thanks for that ,been along time since I was into the planes in a big way.

2 Likes

Thanks for this everyone!!

1 Like