Sd.Kfz.250 Ausf. B mit 2 cm S-18/1000 L/65 The little Sniper

[Would you like to see this in-game?]
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

I would like to suggest this Sd.Kfz. 250 Ausf. B armed with a 20 mm S-18/1000 instead of the MG 42, and a Mg 42 AA mount on the back. In game it would also be able to represent a version as closest to the normal one armed with more than just an Mg.

In game it would fall in a kind of support role with beeing similary armed as the italian tankett, tho with German ammo such as Pzgr 40. While having lower fire rate than the KwK and Flaks it would offer a smaller more protected target and beeing shoulder stabilized and add more to the Halftrack gameplay in the game, which is widely liked yet still quite small (sadly).

The history to this specific vehicle is unknown, however it is visible that its mostly just a normal Sd.Kfz.250/1 however in the normal Mg 42 shield modified to accept the S-18/1000. It is fired from the shoulder, loaded from 10 round magazins, however will only fire at 60 rpm (as semi automatic guns are limited to that in game, tho IRL you can pretty much shoot as fast as you can press the trigger, such can allready be found in Videos on youtube and such). The ammo loadout will be the same as allready available on the KwK and Flaks.

The History of the vehicle:
The AHA IN6 (Inspectorate of Motorized Troops) requested a small armored Half track to accompany tanks on the offensive and perform auxiliary mission in 1939. These tasks were (not limited to) Scouting, mobile HQ, command vehicle, radio vehicle, forward observer and ammo carrier. And be smaller compared to the then also in development Sd.Kfz.251, its bigger brother.
It was an development of the Sd.Kfz.10, which was made by Demag, who was allready recognized for their expertise in very small and fast half tracks, which was recently accepted into service. Of these Sd.Kfz.10 were around 12.000 produced until 1945 and additional 6.628 of the armored version Sd.Kfz.250. The armored body was designed and produced by Büssig-NAG abd called Leichter gepanzerter Mannschafts Transportwagen (light armored troop transporter) with the number Sd.Kfz.250. Build from 1939-1944.

Picture:(Click to show)

Since there is only 1 picture of it, i will also add the Sd.Kfz.251 with the 20mm C/38 (Navy Flak 38) that is also shoulder fired from the shoulder, but also full auto, it is however mounted in a similar fashion. (Will do a seperat suggestion.)

The Gun:
2 cm S-18/1000 L/65
10 or 20 round magazins, 60 rpm (or more) shoulder stabilized, free elevation and traverse (as far as you can move). 8mm angled shield.
And Mg 42 at the back in AA/GP mount.

Ammo: (Click to show)

Pzgr. L`Spur. o.Zerl. (ApI-T) 0,148kg 830m/s 0g 40mm/10m

Pzgr. L’Spur zerl. (Aphe-T Sd) 0,148 kg 830m/s 2,4g Pent 37mm/10m

NOTE: It does NOT have a fuze, the filler is for self destruction, in game it would also explode upon impact when shattering, like the japanese 30mm Aphe.

Pzgr. 40 L`Spur. o.Zerl. (HVAP-T) 0,100kg 1050m/s 62g core 12mm 50mm/10m

Pzsprgr. L’Spur m.Zerl. (Aphe-T Sd) 0,121 kg 900m/s 3,6g Pent 33mm/10m

(This last picture is an adaption for the Mg151/20 and uses a different shorter tracer, which results in it beeing also a bit lighter)

Sprgr. L`Spur. o.Zerl. (Hefi-T) 0,120kg 900m/s 6,2g Pent (10,54g) 5mm/10m

Zeichn_04

Brsprgr. o.L’Spur. o.Zerl. (He-I) 0,120kg 900m/s 20g H.5 and Zink (7g H.5 13g Zink (calculated by Killakiwi))

The Vehicle:
Sd.Kfz.250 Ausf. B
Length / Width / Height: 4,56 m / 1,95 m / 2,13 m
Crew: 4-5
Engine: HL 45 TRMK 100 Ps at 2800 rpm
Speed: Max speed by trails 75 km/h (drivers were told to not go faster than 65 km/h duo wear)
Armor:
Front 14,5mm angled, engine deck 8mm
Sides 8mm + 8mm (Armored Storage Bins)
Back 8mm
Turret: 8mm (angled)

Source:
Munition der 2 cm Waffen
Encyclopedia of German Tanks of World War two
Greenhill Armored Fighting Vehicles Data Book
Leichter Schützenpanzerwagen (Sd.Kfz.250) Ausf. A and B

5 Likes

Don’t know how useful it will be, but it would be interesting to add non than less.
If we had to think about the BR it would sit at, it would most likely at 1.0, since the Solothurn S-18/1000, is the same cannon as the L3/33 CC.

1 Like

Since this gets PzGr 40, it’d be REALLY fun! +1

1 Like

I generally love half-track TDs, but I’m not sure if this one would be particularly… effective.
Maybe it could be a pretty unique premium, though.

i would quite enjoy this being in the game it seems like it would be a unique challenge to play with

I suppose this would fare better than the L/3 33
Because:

1. Pzgr 40 available
  2. German ApI-T and He rounds (which are also better than the italian Aphe)
  3. 10 or 20 round mags
  4. Shoulder stabilized
  5. Fast and nimble vehicle.

While not as small it will certainlybe able to punch above its weight.

Here a couple of videos about the gun.