Sd.Kfz.234/4 Alternative

Hello, I remember seeing a post about an alternative Sd.Kfz.234/4 post ages ago and was wondering if anything ever came of it.

I searched it, and I found this old-forum thread, it was called the “Sd.Kfz.234/4 (AK7B)” I think.

I guess, to continue the discussion from then, would it be viable for suggestion? Imo, if added they should replace the original Sd.Kfz.234/4 with this one and then put that version in the tree, considering this was a prototype/not fully completed thing, while the original 234/4 was a mass produced vehicle and could fit very well in the tree.

5 Likes

I’ll give it a Plus 1 again given that I did some of the research on it! would rather have a the Sd.Kfz.234/4 become a regular tree vehicle and the 234/4 mit AK7B be a replacement for the premium one…

I’d like that to be added! :)

Long barreled short 75, seems pretty cool.

I might (re)write a suggestion for this sometime this week, if people would want me to and/or someone isn’t already doing it.

AK7B it’s only a project, I mean, paper one, I don’t think it would make into the game, but I support.

If you make a suggestion I’ll be the first to vote yes :)

1 Like

I thought at least the gun was made?
So that, plus existing vehicle, plus the proposal to fit them together would mean a “project” of an incomplete plan but all the parts existed. I think that’s enough to be viable.

The Rheinmetall company undertook a project to create a new “lightened” version of the aforementioned cannon, called the 7.5 cm Aufklärerkanone AK 7 B 84.The new anti-tank gun had a lower silhouette, took up less space and was easier to handle. Four prototypes were manufactured, but when it came time to install it they did not have any suitable vehicle on hand, so they resorted to a Lorraine Schlepper 37L (f) tractor. A cannon was installed and sent for firing tests at the Kummersdorf proving ground on 01-18-1945. Subsequently, the possibility of its installation on the Sd.Kfz.251/22, Sd.Kfz.234 and the Jagdpanzer 38D was studied, but the war came to an end before its serial production.

I highly doubt it, can’t find a single image but only the weapon project images and drawings.

But let’s consider that the vehicle would be added even knowing it was just concepts, a built unit and the old forum discussion, what do you suggest for the vehicle? Tech-tree? Event? BP? I’m curious.

Personally I would say BP or Event. It would follow the trend of the other puma’s 😂

@Ghostmaxi might know something

I mean i kind of know, but i dont think it was build beyond maybe a test stand, i do not know of any photographic evidence of even the build mount. Maybe in the Panzer Tracks book is written more about it.

1 Like

Personally I’d replace the old event 234/4 with this version so that that version could be added as TT. Prototype/concept vehicle with a bit improved performance and better gun handling as the limited edition hard to obtain version, and then the serial produced version as TT.

But yeah I also can’t find photographic evidence of it’s construction. It might just be one of those things where it was made but never pictured, or the pictures were destroyed and now don’t exist. Or it wasn’t made. I’d have to research it more, but I don’t own any books so my research would be limited to whatever is online.

There were 4 of the gun produced and one was at least trialed on a Lorraine Schlepper 37L Jan 18th 1945. Considering the limited amount produced (4), the timing of production (1945), and the state of war Germany was facing in 1945 its very likely that they either didn’t photograph the cannon on a one-off test vehicle or the photographs were destroyed… I would guess the cannons performance was identical (performance wise) to the 75mm already in use considering after the trial at Kummersdorf they went to the next stage and were studying if they could mount it on the Sd.Kfz.251/22 Sd.Kfz.234 and the Jagdpanzer 38D. The main focus would be on figuring out how much lighter it would have been.

upon searching for the Jagdpanzer 38D it would seem they did further research and development with the AK 7 Cannon in mind

The 75mm gun was a re-worked PaK 40 with different mount and construction - it was lighter, allowing for better handling and aiming and it could be traversed 20 degrees to each side. The official designation of the AKF was “AK 7 B84” - its development was finished in April 1945 and only 4 were made.

1 Like

Rather than a reworked Pak 40, it is a reworked KwK 40 L/48. I mean, the length allready fits and from the drawings the recoil cylinders are L and R, not under the gun.

1 Like