Scottish Aviation Bulldog: The Kilted Mentor

[Would you like to see this in-game?]
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

Scottish Aviation Bulldog

Hello! and welcome to my suggestion for the Scottish aviation Bulldog, a Single engined trainer used by the RAF in the second half of the 20th century and one of the most successful aircraft to come out of Scotland, capable of carrying a variety of armament, I feel this could come to game as a light Ground attack or COIN aircraft in the future

History

Spoiler

The Bulldog is a Two seat light aircraft developed by the British originally designed by Beagle aircraft but produced mainly by Scottish Aviation Limited in Prestwick, Scotland. The First Prototype took flight on 19th May 1969 at Shoreham Airport and soon an order was received from the Swedish air force for 78 units. However before production could begin the production was shifted to Scottish Aviations facility in Prestwick, Glasgow.

After the Swedish order several more orders were received, including orders from Malaysia, Kenya and even Hong Kong, however the largest order came from the RAF in 1972, in which 130 Aircraft were ordered and dubbed the “Bulldog T.1” (or “Bulldog T Mk.1” depending on who you ask) and was used as a basic trainer for the RAF and was used for elementary air training and University air squadrons with its reserve role being Combat, although it was never used in this role during its life. The bulldog was in service for a little over 25 years before it was retired from RAF Service and sold off to Private Buyers however some aircraft were Sold to the Armed forces of Malta Air Wing instead. By 2001 the aircraft was fully retired from RAF service and was replaced by the Grob Tutor that currently serves the RAF to this day.

Overall 328 Bulldogs were built between 1969 and 1982 and the aircraft has served in 11 Countries Armed forces, with it still being in service with the Kenyan and Lebanese Air forces. The Company demonstrator has also survived and is currently on display at the National Museum of Flight at East Fortune Airfield, Scotland.

Images

Spoiler

A Bulldog on display at Farnborough, with SNEB rockets being advertised as an armament option

A Bulldog on display armed with 12 80mm SURA Rockets

Several Bulldogs of No.6 Sqn Flying over RAF Benson

Several Bulldogs in 2000 waiting to be sold to the Armed forces of Malta

The Demonstrator in flight, armed with 2 SNEB pods

Bulldogs in Swedish Service, in which they were armed with the Bantam ATGM

A 3 View drawing of the Bulldog

Diagram of the Bulldog

Specifications/ Armament

Spoiler

General characteristics

• Crew: 2 (optional 3rd seat)
  • Length: 23 ft 3.06 in (7.0881 m)
  • Wingspan: 33 ft 1.85 in (10.1054 m)
  • Height: 8 ft 11.5 in (2.731 m)
  • Wing area: 129.4 sq ft (12.02 m2)
  • Aspect ratio: 8.4
  • Airfoil: NACA 632615
  • Empty weight: 1,475 lb (669 kg)
  • Max takeoff weight: 2,350 lb (1,066 kg)
  • Powerplant: 1 × Lycoming IO-360-A1B6 4-cylinder air-cooled horizontally-opposed piston engine, 200 hp (150 kW)
  • Propellers: 2-bladed Hartzell constant speed propeller

Performance

• Maximum speed: 130 kn (150 mph, 240 km/h)
  • Stall speed: 54 kn (62 mph, 100 km/h)
  • Never exceed speed: 185 kn (213 mph, 343 km/h)
  • Range: 540 nmi (620 mi, 1,000 km)
  • Service ceiling: 16,000 ft (4,900 m)
  • g limits: +6g -3g, with no longer than 15 seconds sustained inverted flight.
  • Rate of climb: 1,034 ft/min (5.25 m/s)
  • Wing loading: 18.2 lb/sq ft (89 kg/m2)

Armament

• 68mm SNEB Rocket Pods (up to 4 Pods of 7 rockets each)
  • 80mm SURA Rockets (at least 12 but probably up to 16)
  • 7.62 MG pods
  • up to 640 lbs of Bombs (possibly up to 250 lbs in size)
  • Bantam ATGMs (In swedish service only, have seen statements claiming the company demonstrator carried them though)

Place in game

Spoiler

Personally I feel this vehicles may struggle in the current point of the game, i would expect it to be fairly low in BR without ATGMs, possibly around 2.7, however I feel this would be a great, and unique addition to the UK tech tree, it could also come to sweden and be a fairly capable mid to high tier attack aircraft with its ATGMs.

In summary i feel this would be a niche and interesting aircraft to bring to the British Tech Tree and would be a testament to the Small yet rather important Aviation industry in scotland

Sources

Spoiler

Scottish Aviation Bulldog - Wikipedia
Bulldog aircraft specifications and performance
Aircraft Photo of G-ASAL | Scottish Aviation Bulldog 120/124 | Scottish Aviation | AirHistory.net #270792
https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=45089.15
Beagle/Scottish Aviation Bulldog / B.125
https://www.lynehamaviation.co.uk/documents/checklists/Checklist_Bulldog120_AL14.pdf

4 Likes

+1, would be a funny little aircraft.

It should also come with a Maltese skin:

1 Like

With such a powerful aircraft Malta really is a force to be reckoned with

1 Like

For real, it’s probably a reason why we’ve had peace for so long. They had to retire them in order to level the playing field.

1 Like

In case anybody doubts such a nutty idea:
61f

3 Likes

Ah thanks, i had stuggled to find a picture of them!

+1, but only without ATGM