SAAF JAS-39C Technical Data and Discussion

My apologies.

But where I come from. If I move something. It’s my responsibility to move it back as courtesy for others.

1 Like

found it https://ntrs.nasa.gov/api/citations/19910009766/downloads/19910009766.pdf

1 Like

Comparing that model to one from GE, the deviation in gross thrust for steady states is ~3% which seems decent. Who knows what the deviations vs real data are though.

1 Like

According to the NASA document they were unable to use GE’s dynamic engine model due to time constraints and went with a simplified model (likely not indicative of the real world F404).

Perhaps I am misreading this but they are allowing up to 25% error in the data as compared to the transient response of the dynamic engine model?

1 Like

Yeah, I’d be very careful drawing any strong conclusions about real-world thrust numbers from the NASA simulation.

As I read it, for the dynamic phases of the flight (when lighting AB etc) that seems to be the case. For steady states, which is all we really need to care about, it came within 3%.

1 Like

Well, we have the real numbers from NAVAIR and confirmed by QNEP so as I said… shouldn’t be an issue.

Yeah, if Gripen had that engine we’d be done :)

For what we care (high mach) is basically an -402, they both increased the turbine inlet temperature.

It can be argued that they can be different by a couple of 100kgf, but not by 2000kgf

1 Like

Right, and it’s worth noting the entire point of the -402 model engine was to satisfy the customers’ want for improved performance of their F/A-18’s. They assessed that the RM12’s higher flow fan would not yield any improvement in performance and would take a lot more effort to integrate into the F/A-18 airframe. (Likely requiring extensive changes to the intake scheduling).

I really do think that bringing the RM12 down to the same thrust as the (later) -402 model engine is generous… installed thrust for the Gripen would likely be less due to the lower tolerances for the modified -400 core.

likely?

1 Like

Yes, but MiG-23 also said that he would be more than happy to report the wrong drag then as well. Looking at the engines it indeed makes no sense for the RM12 to have it’s current values.

I am not saying the sources used are specifically correct, but seeing as how the ingame model keeps on increasing thrust WELL past the treshold of the others makes me doubt the current thrust curve…

I am not saying it should be the same as from those sources, but the current one is honestly even less believeable.

I also want to adress that, while I do agree with a lot of your points, I don’t share the same view of “They are doing this because they hate sweden and are evil”. I believe they found those sources and try to correct something wrong. It’s just that they do look very biased, I am however not the one to judge wether they indeed are or it just looks like it because it seemingly hits our nerves.

I can look for some Swedish sources for RM12

For reference:

1 Like

If one cant report this anymore like some guys here are making it sound, I should retire because I will not be able to make any other report

1 Like

Now imagine the incorrect drag values required to make the top speed ~1.2 mach for the Gripen in-game with all that thrust… people going nuts over my report like this isn’t just fixing the airframe. It’s not an intentional nerf.

I think there’s lots of toxicity in this thread, yes. Some people have gotten very defensive over prospective nerfs (me included, perhaps, although I don’t think I’ve been unpleasant).

It’s quite possible that RM12 has too much thrust in game right now. I don’t know, and I haven’t been convinced by the sources as discussed here. But thrust is not a “naked” quantity in WT, we never see just thrust. Acceleration is close to what it should be, so if thrust is increased, drag needs to decrease. The reason people get defensive is that they don’t trust that Gaijin will also decrease the drag. There are many cases of vehicles getting broken and then just not fixed again.

The F404/RM12 differs from previous F404 versions in:
• new fan with 10% increased flow capacity and increased bird
resistance
• modified stator regulation in the high-pressure compressor
(HTK)
• increased pressure level
• higher turbine outlet temperature
• improved material in turbine and afterburner
(EBK)
• modified afterburner (EBK)
• digital control system
• single engine version

The plane just rips its wings, there is no drag limit at SL
The energy retention at high speeds tho…

1 Like

“The development resulted in the engine getting a bigger fan, which increased the air flow by 10%. All parts in the fan were thus replaced, which gave the engine greater resistance to bird collisions. To test the resistance, half-thawed pigeons were shot into the engine!”

LOL

“Of the original F404J engine, only 50% remained and Volvo Aero now became the owner (OEM) of the RM 12.”