SAAF JAS-39C Technical Data and Discussion

Actually M2000 have canards just static. All above I’m agree.

Also grippen canards movement above Mach looks wrong. At least compare to what we can see in RL movies.

8v8 would be preferable. Maybe even 6v6, and then we could have Korea back for an all stock jet lineup, no missiles, just guns. It’d be fun he says confidently

The Gripens’ static instability comes from the canards additional lift… they deflect a certain amount and they no longer contribute sufficient lift to keep it “unstable”. At this point the elevator needs to stop pushing the nose down, and instead contribute to the turn… inducing additional drag. It would no longer benefit from the instability.

So in this regard, especially at low speed… the Gripen should not be this good. The curve should not be flat.

1 Like

Yes of course! As I mentioned before it’s not like magical device. It’s mechanical way to solve delta configuration issues and overall design.

Right now Grippen at low speed it’s just unreal. Second broken plane after Ki84 in my ranking.

For it to be insane at low speeds wouldn’t surprise me. It is one of the Eurocanards, with a massive bank of computers allowing it to do all but the outright stupid.

That said, I do feel at all speeds the performance is a bit bonkers. If we removed G-LOC as a factor it’d bash every single aircraft’s skull in at almost all speeds. Which I’d kinda hope for as an ultralight dogfighter. But equally being able to G-LOC the pilot at 700kph doesn’t seem quite right.

Computers don’t magically enhance the hard set aerodynamics of the design.

2 Likes

And if you had read the second paragraph and comprehended what was actually said and implied there then maybe you might’ve realised that…

I might quote for everyone’s benefit

1 Like

I do find it very interesting how your arguing it should be performing as X at Y and Z values when we have no real values on its performance irl

1 Like

The hilarious part is comparing it to M2000 because its “similar” design while in fact its nowhere near it by any mile exept sharing delta wing. Thats where ALL similarities end. Already gripens position of main wing more forward from rear changes aerodynamics heavily from mirage.

3 Likes

Funny how he dropped his old “graphs and extrapolation approach” when the viggen graph extrapolated by 1.45 lined up within 1-2 degrees of the current in game performance. “Fools gold”.

1 Like

And, whilst he may very well be doing it for the sake of realism, Brit mains tend to feel a bit rubbed up the wrong way when the moment they get anything vaguely good the hounds are released and instantly try and bug report it

And no, i’m not suggesting it is a reasonable flight model. I genuinely don’t really have a clue what the Gripen’s performance is like in graphs, so i’m going off feel.

That said, I rather suspect anyone trying to bug report FP will have a lot of issues due to it likely being restricted info. I mean they still use the Gripen for christ sake.

1 Like

Only on low fuel & clean.
I haven’t seen this repeated on a combat load yet.

May I ask what your background is regarding aerodynamics? Not saying you are wrong but where are you making these conclusions? did you consult with some aerodynamicist or is this your personal general idea of things?

2 different jets cant be compared in aerodynamics even if they look similar. Certainly not without apropriate simulation SW and knowledge in the field. Not even people with PhD in the field are able to tell how it should act without seeing actual numbers or CFD simulations.
If it was that easy, it would be absolutely pointless to make info classified as anyone at home could compare it to other jet and correctly guesstimate its performance.

1 Like

to be fair, on min fuel and clean that’d be feasible in my humble opinion. that said my qualification to talk about Gripen Flt Performance is precisely bugger all so i’ll keep my thoughts to myself haha

You also are wrong. G loads it’s limited by pilots of course. But light weight structure is also limited by g Forces…

It’s the design according to Saab, in their documentation they state the canard’s lift causes the instability… So when pitch departures happen they are easily resolved by deflecting the canard…

Plane becomes statically stable and deep stalls are avoided.

1 Like

He saw the graph and extrapolation approach lined up too closely to in game performance, so now he needs another angle to get the nerfs he thinks it deserves.

forgive me but i didnt once mention anything about materials

I’m not sure how i’m wrong on a matter i didn’t even discuss within the remit of that comment but hey, you do you.

unless of course you think when i say G-LOC i refer to the airframe

Isnt gripen hard limited to like 12Gs in real life?