SAAF JAS-39C Technical Data and Discussion

They Large and standard ones are based on the russain ones. Small are bol and bol only. IIRC Large are based on the MIG-23 ones. Dunno about standard ones.

There is, it is pre determined order, it is not based on the size.
And the 12 under the wings are large ones.

depends on the type. shut off seeker do not care about the size, gatewidth do. All sizes are standard, so large on a gripen are the same as the ones on Su-27 and JH-7A.

This doesn’t tell me anything. what are the sizes? is the like a x by x mm/inch size that is considered small/large?

Is there a way to know that order?

didn’t really answer my question. is one large better than another large (against the same missile) depending on plane used?

I knew them at one point, not anymore sadly.

You have to see how they are deployed in game.

As i have said, all flares of the same type are identical, so the only thing that can influence is where they launch.

1. Calibre, over 50mm if I remember correctly.
  2. Order, I’m not sure if it’s consistent but normally. Integrated first, pods after and loop back to integrated.
  3. Nothing is specifically better against IRCCM.The game had stats for luminosity, and burn duration. So those are the only thing that could impact it.

ok, thanks!

I’m not sure i fully understand, is the loop per flare or is it per “module”?
As in; if i have 3 different sizes located at internal/pod/rail and fire 3 flares, will it fire one flare from each module? or do i need to empty one of the internal modules for it to start fire from one of the rails?

are those stats different per plane/module or a standard per size?

No it will alternate between them.

Standard, only BOL has the expection of being worse than standard calibre CMs.

Basically;
Large
Standard
BOL

1 Like

They follow a certain patter. For gripen it is: front fuselage pod, middle fuselage pod, rear fuselage pod, underwing flares, outer BOL, inner BOL, repeat.

1 Like

Here it is. Also middle and rear fuselage pod are missplaced.

1 Like

@Gunjob
Should bottom fuselage pod deploy in tandem with the front top fuselage one?

Should? No idea, but the 4x fuselage ones are in pairs of two, a pair on the top, and one top paired with the bottom.

Well, the middle and rear ones on top of the fuselage are independent, as can be seen on the video i posted. Front and bottom are paired.

That’s really weird though.
that means that if you have periodic countermeasures on in groups of like 2 then you are after half a game randomly going to get either 2 small, 2 standard, 1 large one standard, 1 large one small or 1 small and 1 standard per burst.
it also means that to be 100% sure that a large flare is fired i have to cycle through the entire loop (because who keeps track of where in the loop you are at any given moment?).
the only way to get consistent flares in this case is to put the periodic amount to 4 and then manually fire the first 6 rotations so that the large rail flares are out.

it would be much more reasonable if the large flares were the ones used first and then go down to standard and lastly small (and i’m not going to into the whole “BOL should be standard” debacle because you already know). or if one of each size were fired per burst or something.

Well, currently it is made based on the pre determined patter, so while true you can never be sure you get large one, this type of pattern is easier for the game, or at least easier to code.
(And Gripen lack Standard CMs, they just gave up with naming it Large Flare Countermeasure, as it broke everything, so they just attached large flare to in in the code).

And @Gunjob here you can se that only one of the pods are paired (i think it is because of lack of separate:true in emtr_1).

@Gunjob
On the JAS39C there are two bugs with the flares.
first:
The pylons only fire 3 flares each (6 total) and then they are empty (instead of 12 total). doesn’t matter the loadout as far as i have tested.

Second:
if i bring six aim9m and BOL pods its normal and fires:
down → up → up → up → left pylon → right pylon → both outer BOL → both inner BOL → repeat
(just remove pylons from loop when empty)

But if i bring two aim9m and four aim120b with BOL it fires:
down → up → up → up → left pylon → right pylon → both outer BOL → both left BOL → repeat

same issue with four aim9m and two aim120b with BOL as well as only four aim120b.
So the issue seems to be when i bring the aim120b’s

It also doesn’t matter if its a custom loadout or pre-made.

I know I’ve probably said this umpteen times before but what’s the difference between the F & F2, G & G2, and E & E2?

F are Navy IIR. G are AF IIR, E are Laser. 2 at the end means software modification, more memory and a faster processor.

And what would that translate to in game? Or just in general really.

IIRC the G2 mainly existed to fix a bug with the base G model which caused the missile to randomly miss the target sometimes.

In game to nothning i think. IRL it would resault in system better reaction to the target changes and better autopilot behavior.