SAAF JAS-39C Technical Data and Discussion

Well… After short test I can say that BOL with flares is almost useless unless double reset is used. 8 (it’s even funny to realize) flares have difficulty transferring the missile’s seeker to themselves, 4 flares are helpless and simply waste countermeasures. On the other hand, GJ have redid the sequence of releasing countermeasures and the fuselage containers work for quite a long time. They end at about 350 countermeasures.
We’ve been breathing freely for almost a month, and now the stuffiness is starting again…

1 Like

Hungarian ones too afaik they are ordering IRIS-T to replace them though

Keep in mind the non BOL flares are “Large” and there is a report from around a month ago that was aiming to see them changed to just “standard” sized which would greatly reduce their effectiveness

1 Like

Only the internal ones are counted as large in the game

We’ve had our fun quota for a few years - time for a barrage of changes to make the Gripen irrelevant ASAP.

2 Likes

Hi @Smin1080p , sorry to @ you but after reading the rumour roundup I thought this would be a more relevant place to ask.

This is historical, nothing can be done simply unfortunate, perhaps if rules ever widen from where they sit currently something will pop up.

But what I would ask @Smin1080p is if there are any possibilities of things like A-Darter and R-Darter for the SAAF Gripen C as there are several sources saying they are integrated.

A-Darter is planned by the SAAF and R-Darter has been integrated and its only in-game user is South Africa?

(although admittedly R-Darter not in use it’s a domestic possibility at an ARH for the SAAF Gripen as Marlin is in a complicated spot, even if not perhaps Python Derby as they’re similar and also integrated)

Some sources

A-Darter | Denel Dynamics
https://www.saab.com/globalassets/products/aeronautics/gripen-c-series/gripen_c-foldout.pdf

It will be a long time, Not unless we get all other super IIR missiles

That’s true i’m just curious if there’s any possibility at all or if Gripen is planned to stay somewhere around 12.7 with an all-IR loadout. Honestly it’s more relevant for the R-Darter as that would allow us to keep a good dogfighting airframe until Typhoon. Gripen could retain the 9M’s and get R-Darter as somewhat of a MICA or Python Derby alternative which will be used by France and Israel on similarly capable platforms.

I think it’s definitely possible. The last I saw Smin write about modern missiles was this

Yeah I saw that which makes sense these new gen IR missiles will be ridiculous. I’d curb all expectations to a Magic 2 buff and then late block AIM-9L/i’s and 9M’s. I doubt we even see ASRAAM this year which is the earliest of the new gen IR missiles.

But yeah I personally think that the R-Darter and AIM-9M loadout could be quite good and balanced versus what we could reasonably expect this year. Particularly as they could always nerf it accordingly as it would only effect one nation.

Although seeing we are not close to the F-18 i am very interested as to what the next year will bring. It seems the F-14 through to F-15 updates were a touch faster than Gaijin would now have liked and they’re slowing it down a bit.

like its only advantage to the F15 is just how much it carries like it flight performance will be worse

I suppose it’s just a case of carry capability and weaponry for a well-rounded aircraft. Although the F-18 is a somewhat monstrous low speed dogfighter.

Who knows. Would rather just focus on backfilling now to make the tree more viable and introduce more legacy aircraft.

1 Like

Type 545 my beloved?

1 Like

Immediate buy, but if it ends up as anything but TT I will be so incredibly disappointed.

I might have to get the early jets wishlist out again.

Right now, its too early to talk about these two missiles specifically for the aircraft. They are quite advanced compared to where we are currently, so there are no specific plans to mention of them right now.

We are aware of what the aircraft used for sure.

7 Likes

Makes sense, thanks for the response.

Sorry im kinda confused on one thing.

Did you denied IRIS-T compeletly or is it too soon to consider it?

Cause i saw your reply on other thread about IRIS-T.

way too early to be considering these missiles.

Especially for A2A jets

We have never outright denied any missile from ever coming to the game to my knowledge. If we deny one, its always talking about the current situation and never a “forever” type of thing.

1 Like