SAAF JAS-39C Technical Data and Discussion

Hey, if it’s accurate I’m not complaining really… Was there a bug report for this? I find it odd that they’d use 8 flares for each pop IRL? seems excessive? Of course they use different CM systems too, but still

After this change F15 now has more pops of flares than the Gripen

1 Like

Appears to be a balance decision, but I haven’t read into it at all.

British tax mate

6 Likes

Actually I just realised I’m using flares reinforced, if you just use single flare it’s 4 flares per pop, nonetheless it’s consumption is doubled

1 Like

If it deploys from all rails equally that would make sense in my opinion. They should really fix the BOL rails to not deploy until the missile is off the rail, though.

Come check out this thread:

3 Likes

Thanks! That also answers @CorporalApollo 's questions I think.

Essentially BOL “Flares” are actually clouds of pyrophoric material. Think chaff that burns. So the intensity nerf is a maybe. But it should have come with other changes to make it realistic. just nerfing intensity is a nerf, plain and simple

1 Like

Have you got a source for that? I have read a lot of things about BOL and have not seen anything suggesting chaff cannot be deployed while the missile is still on the rail.

1 Like

Of course he doesn’t.

Could you imagine them designing a countermeasure system that requires you to dump your weapons to use them.

7 Likes

I dont think its historical even in that Gripen E and C video by Saab a few weeks ago each release a singular countermeasure at a time.

If you used reinforced before then just use regular and itll be the same for you :p

1 Like

That might be the gripens built in CM though and not the BOL pod

2 Likes

In fact didn’t they have issues with the last packet just falling out on take off?

They did. This was present on the Harrier IIs as well, where sometimes that could happen - Citation, Paul Tremelling.

Yep, where I heard it from

1 Like

Is that accurate though? I’m pretty sure BOL fires it’s flares from the rear of the dispenser?

1 Like

İ would like to see offical source for that rather then some drawing or assumptions but highly doubt there is any.

the packets get released behind the missile even. no reason for that to not work with a missile on it

oh and by the way, thats completely negated by the fact that the Eurofighter uses BOL rails on the ITSPLs which are 1 permanently attached and 2 pretty much always carry missiles oh and 3 are the only source of chaff afaik.

Why on earth would they not be able to release countermeasures

5 Likes

Care to explain where you think this is interfering with the missle?

2 Likes