SAAF JAS-39C Technical Data and Discussion

They did. This was present on the Harrier IIs as well, where sometimes that could happen - Citation, Paul Tremelling.

Yep, where I heard it from

1 Like

Is that accurate though? I’m pretty sure BOL fires it’s flares from the rear of the dispenser?

1 Like

İ would like to see offical source for that rather then some drawing or assumptions but highly doubt there is any.

the packets get released behind the missile even. no reason for that to not work with a missile on it

oh and by the way, thats completely negated by the fact that the Eurofighter uses BOL rails on the ITSPLs which are 1 permanently attached and 2 pretty much always carry missiles oh and 3 are the only source of chaff afaik.

Why on earth would they not be able to release countermeasures

5 Likes

Care to explain where you think this is interfering with the missle?

2 Likes

Screenshot 2024-01-25 at 20.01.32

Well I’ve looked into these things before, I’ve never seen it stated anywhere exactly where they dispense, but from videos and this picture on SAAB’s website It seems like they dispense in the back?

2 Likes

If you think about it logically. That just doesn’t make sense. For many aircraft, BOL would be the primary means of countermeasures and not being able to use countermeasures just because you are still carrying missiles is kinda insane.

A Harrier providing CAS and defending against a MANPAD and not being able to use the large pool of Countermeasures to defeat it because it happens to be carrying 2x Aim9 for air defence for example

3 Likes

The dispense from this hole right here:

1 Like

There might be exceptions, but I’m guessing for most it was rear

BOL always dispenses from the back, it is fundamental to how it’s designed. There is a conveyor belt of chaff packets running the length of the rail. A chaff packet is ejected from the rear of the dispenser and all the chaff packets move back one space, like how a chocolate bar is ejected from a vending machine and all the other chocolate bars move one space forward.

Edit: Here’s pictures from various manuals

3 Likes

this is a chaff pod, you can see it stick out of the back in the pic above

2 Likes

yeah, possibly the 2 vents are for the flares?

No. BOL IR packets are just loaded instead of BOL chaff packets:

3 Likes

ahhh, all right - makes sense.

Screenshot 2024-01-25 at 20.29.01
Found a pretty cool graphic of the chaff packet in use

4 Likes

Whilst I was at it, I found proof of Gripen A having internal countermeasures lol, some guy has been trying to get them removed in a bug report

id like to see that

Thanks bro!

Yeah, I do agree. I initially used the word to spark discussion knowing it would draw heat.

Yes. Just because the delta is no longer being used in favor of the delta canard does not mean the wing pattern is obsolete. One can argue that just the opposite, that fighters of the 6th generation are now returning to the tailless delta configuration.

However, comparing aircraft because they look similar is appropriate. General rule of thumb is that when two aircraft look similar, they generally perform similar. Airflow has the same effect on surfaces no matter what.

1 Like

So, are we going to get the A-Darter Missile for the SA Gripen?