SAAF JAS-39C Technical Data and Discussion

I’m pretty sure I’ve heard of jets having that, the paper referring It to “Normal” load factor limits kind of indicates the existence of other load limits in place?

@Flame2512 just perfectly showed sources for Quite literally different load limits for other jets, with the lowered one being labeled exactly that - “NORMAL Limit”

I don’t believe this (edited) chart represents the full flight envelope. There’s clearly context to the multiple redacted variables you didn’t touch on as well as the line becoming ‘dotted’ after 7.8G’s. Which is used to indicate something like lack of data or the likes of it.

Yep, you can actually see that switch in the cockpit right now in the game, set to “war mode”.

I actually tested the real Viggen’s G-suit in a real simulator. Very cool :)

Most Gripen A skins can also be modified quiet easily, just need to change the “a” to “c” in the BLK files. In addition to the Blackjack skin, I’ve also got this one on mine WT Live // Camouflage by Hassan_Tiger

2 Likes

Gunjob also was in this battle and won 1v2 :D

AIM-9M close up inspection
https://streamable.com/35w272

3 Likes

Currently Gripen is doing 25+ deg/s sustained turn at speeds as low as 0.35 mach. No one noticed this yet?

Well and above reality on this one.

2 Likes

@Gunjob that hurt

Mate, I just wanted to get close to hear your concerns and contact you about your extended warranty.

1 Like

😂😂 I was just chilling doing some rolling and then I found another Gripen inside my cockpit

2 Likes

Called it earlier, it seems to have no drag, it can play every (even the F15) fighter in vertical, and rates so well no jet can outrate it… In terms of high AoA it seem to have very little AoA at low speed… it’s utterly broken

From what info do you have to back that up

3 Likes

Yeah it does have very little drag, thats kinda the big thing of the Gripen airframe.

1 Like

Get a video of its sustained turn rate and then see how it compares to declassified documents. Just stating a number is meaningless.

My report shows this pretty well

2 Likes

Gripen at 1000m and higher does 27 and more deg/s it has better energy retention than an F14, lacks lot of AoA at low speed (strange considering it has little to no AoA at slow speed, strange for a canard design…) and I won’t talk about the way it behave it doesn’t slow down or bleed speed…

May I get a link for the report ? ^^

@Mytho61734 can we get someone more trustworthy to test this?

Mig23m is the same person who earlier attempted to pass off a document about the g regulators for inflating g suit trousers as a reason to limit the gripen FCS g limiter.

That’s either some agenda or embarrassing ignorance. Neither or which I think should be influencing GJN’s balance decisions.
And before you plead that you were just misunderstood - please, give it a rest. Be more honest with yourself.

I believe the Gripen ingame has a built in AOA readout on the HUD, which at 430~ KMH at 300m~ altitude is pulling “24”

This is the Spaded SAAF Gripen C With 20m of fuel and no pylons equipped.

I’ve flown the Gripen and flown against it in Air Simulator.

The plane pretty much dumpsters everything in a dogfight. If you merge with one…you die.

From my testing it can rate around 22-24 degrees per second with weapons and load out. However biggest advantage is initial turn rate and energy retention means that it can also sit in the 30 degrees per second region for a long time.

Merging with the Gripen while flying any of the F-15s is just a mistake. Even the Su-27 doesn’t really have a chance outside of gimmicky HMD + Funny AoA shot.

There is irony here, and they all see it. Fools gold.
On a sidenote, I never did any reporting on the maximum overload of the Gripen. Quit lying to people and spreading rumors about me just because you don’t like it when people bug report discrepancies you benefit from.

Gripen AoA seems fine, stability beyond 35 degrees is a bit too much… adverse yaw should develop pretty bad spin conditions but it can deflect canards IRL to become statically stable. Should not suffer from deep stalls at all.

Yes, but when I report this absurd performance I get death threats on discord.

https://community.gaijin.net/issues/p/warthunder/i/YKhI5oNKuwKG

1 Like

I will have to admit I’ve been a bit oblivious to the extent of the Gripen’s over-performance in game. I’ve personally been flying outside that flight envelope where it seems to be broken and I’ve been told it’s currently being outperformed by M4K and F16 Block 10 FM wise. During my posts I was mainly focused on what I believe the Gripen is capable of IRL, not so much what it’s currently doing in game since the FM seems to have changed many times in the data-mines anyways.

I checked out your bug report, and although there are a few caveats with your sources
(These caveats being: 2 of your sources seem to contradict each other regarding M2K vs Gripen °/s, the SAAF one seem very outdated - with lots of statistics redacted from the document, the AERMACCHI chart stating Mig29, F16 and Rafale perform the same? and generally the JA37/JAS39 comparison figure seem to lack information/numbers)

Your claim itself that the Gripen is over performing when it comes to sustained turns is very accurate. And the caveats of the sources doesn’t take away from that. I just think we should be careful using those sources when setting up the proper FM for the Gripen.

I personally believe Gaijin is really struggling modelling a low-drag aircraft such as the Gripen, basically getting the drag down without significantly changing stuff like the sustained turn rate. I still stand by what I believe the Gripen is capable of IRL in relation to something like the F16 and hope to see it represented in the FM

Also, most of my discussion’s regarding the Gripen the past few days have been regarding the amount of G’s it’s able to pull, and it’s wing-snap G-loads - which is unrelated to it’s sustained turn and other characteristics, which is where our conversation started