SAAF JAS-39C Technical Data and Discussion

Some acronyms decoded in Fig 1.5.2 Flight test recording of a rapid deceleration
turn with max aft stick command (Bleed Of Turn).

It is apparent that the static stability decreases rapidly from neutral to negative above 10° AOA, as the amount of nose-down canard and elevon deflection start to increase:
max aft stick pull

For the canard and elevon, positive value means trailing edge down, and negative value means leading edge down.

Just so things get cleared up. Found this on the Defyn discord server. I said before the Blk 10 F-16 can beat the gripen especially after the nerf but after seeing this I am not so sure. Keep in mind this is an 800 kph merge and both are holding pitch up, so pilot skill is not a factor here but its also a simplified duel. However this goes to show how good the gripen is, keeping in mind a Blk 10 destroys the F-16C

So it’s definitely the best rate fighter in game now ?? Sounds strange but… ok

İts an advanced delta canard design coming from a nation who mastered delta designs.

İts not so surprised to see that it can beat F-16, remember guys USA doesnt produce best jet fighters in every single category same goes for Russia.

1 Like

Not surprising its a monster in a one circle fight, delta’s always are.

1 Like

No, it literally sounds perfectly fine… that thing was accepted into service in late 90s with god damn long development. F16, 15, flanker or 29 are pretty much 1-2 decades older designs. Thats like wondering why is F16 better than F-4.

how so

there are no bol rails in the wingtips, its not a eurofighter ;P

Inboard pylons are possibly missing an extra BOL739/3 which is either a 6 shot flare dispenser like the BOL739/2 or a BOL rail attachment like that of the BOL-304, 500 or 700.

1 Like

so its got all of its rails, just missing a few single countermeasures…

im more interested in this tbh https://www.saab.com/contentassets/b6dbecc8e8574587b91116a778fcd20a/estl-product-sheet.pdf

No its not a BOL-304, 500 or 700 rail found attached to the bottom of the pylon its on the end of the pylon;

So its either 12 more flares/chaff or another 160 from a BOL type rail. Like I said I’m unsure.

this shit is confusing as fuck

besides, isnt that a picture of the Gripen E’s systems?

its the one that got MAWS

It is, that’s why I said possibly. I have asked a Swedish main to try to track down some photos of it. As the BOL739/2 is a feature of the Gripen C as are the BOP-G dispensers, I think its very likely the BOL739/3 is as well.

But yeah the naming is insane haha.

SAAB just released a beautiful vid of Gripen C and E flying side by side:

6 Likes

I wonder when fcs / fbw will be modeled at all in game rather then just approximating its limitations and benefits. Hope theres no engine limitation unlike dropping chaff and flares separately

Engine limitation = laziness… if they can model different CM types, they can do it in two selectable windows each with its own bind.

3 Likes

Especially since CM’s are counted as weapons iirc.

There is already a weapon group selector. It would probably be super simple to implement a CM group selector as well.

there are limits. both in terms of aerodynamics and in terms of control.

they recently described that the roll rate had to be reduced to below 200°/s due to mouse control limitations.
they also explained that the aircraft was made aerodynamically stable to work with the current engine resulting in canard movements that are not a representation of the real aircraft

There another was written.

That they only worked normally in the rear hemisphere ±60 degrees, according to such countermeasures, and not as now with the guidance system from 9x. and it seems to me that before version AIM-9M-8/9 they could not work normally for such purposes.

Curiously enough this excerpt. Am kind of surprised but anywho.

Im really worried that means they are going to start artificially nerfing the Gripen in certain ways to nerf it.

2 Likes