Responding to the Severe Damage feedback & release time

They can word it and twist however they want. It’s their Game, their Site, their Forum.
What is important is what the players complained and protested about, and what we all really wanted - a fairer game economy and a fairer game overall. Because at the end of the day, we are the ones playing it - not the developers. And we are the one financing it - not the social media or marketing teams.

Regardless of how much you and others defend it or deflect, it doesn’t change the fact the new system is broken from the get go and fails to make the game better because of it.

Except, Gaijin don’t consider kill stealing an actual thing. It’s just something made up by the player base.

3 Likes

Oh I agree with you: it’s a bad change. It just added a another half hour a night to my Jaguar time for the next nine days, which sucks. And as an air AB player I get basically nothing of value to me in return here: as AB planes could already fly around with half the plane gone no problem.

Just saying Gaijin was trying to solve a separate problem, and admittedly were up-front about their motives from the start.

This is the problem with someone joining the discussion without any knowledge on the topic and without reading any post in the topic. Because many players (who know how to use their brains) have been complaining about this new system from the beginning.

There was one content creator, who actually read the devs articles and understood them pretty correctly. Other content creators just wanted to release videos as quick as possible, without doing any research, without testing and without reading devs articles. But how is this the devs fault? This just says a lot about such content creators and players who just mindlessly follow them.

1 Like

The point of this was to fix the problem of planes appearing dead not actually dead. It’s not to fix “kill stealing” as that’s a concept the devs don’t consider an actual thing. As far their concern is you either get the kill or you didn’t. If damage it enough before you have a chance to get an assist.

I would suggest @everyone keep an open mind. Its a bit of a shock. There will be times when its needed for example taking down a good enemy pilot in a meta.
Maybe they should change the colour a bit of a severely damaged enemy, mabe make it it bright pink or bright orange. I know 1 thing this

youtube

https://youtu.be/hQFL1KGSfK4

shows there is work that still needs doing because no way is anyone walking away from that

So minus achievements, end result is a 15000 SL game to a 14000 SL game, with a big error bar on that. I think this is consistent with their statements that this would be rewards-neutral. The trouble is, score isn’t a “reward” per se, it’s just a rewards variable that has been repurposed as an event completion statistic, so there can be big player-unfriendly changes there that are still “rewards-neutral”.

Yeah, I’m actually not happy with myself, because I should have played a battle with 1 kill in the old system, and then compare it to the battle with a direct kill and then a battle with a severe damage + finishing the enemy in the new system. In theory that should give you the same SL in all situations, if you used the same vehicle. But I didn’t think about saving such battle in the old system.

PS. In my defence, I never really cared about SL. And I have a good reason for this:

If you destroy from start you get the severe reward and the destroyed reward, it all most adds up from what i can tell. You should have old battle reports in your mail box, bottom right in hanger

1 Like

You are correct. I completely forgot you can check now the details in the mail section. You can even see the plane you destroyed.

I already checked this and the SL calculations looks fine. Basically a severe damage + finishing in the new system equals to a destruction in the old system, how it should be.

But now I understand what Bruce was talking about earlier. A kill is worth much more RP/SL rewards than an assist. An assist is worth 2/3rd of the kill score, but it’s only 1/4th of SL and RP kill rewards. I never cared to look so deep into this (action rewards area). So I understand now this “problem” of converting some assists into kills. All this is complicated, but even if the RP/SL rewards are pretty much the same now, it’s definitely not a good change, because it lowers the score. And this reduction is also quite significant.

1 Like

It’s a definite scoring nerf, from what I and several others I play & communicate with, have noticed in the game play today, since it was implemented. I’m actually rather shocked at just how bad it is, how much it effects games(the scoring part mostly) and that they actually stuffed it in there right in the middle of a grindy plane(jet) event. I’m not quite sure how anyone at Gaijin could think this was a reasonable, fair or even justified move against the players . . I’m frankly shocked. I’m normally pragmatic about most of these things, but this . . . blatantly nerfing the players abilities to score, do damage, and get proper credit for it . . . I dunno . . you reach a “tipping point” where everything you do is to hurt the players, lessen their enjoyment of their game . . and supposedly all to “frustrate” them into spending money, and then it all goes bad . . . this feels like where we are heading . . . if we’re not already there . . . sad day

3 Likes

There is another way to even things out. They could just reduce the air game mode multipliers. This would allow them to reduce rewards without touching the score.

I’m really happy I decided to skip the current event. Looking at the scoreboards at the end of the battle, this new system really looks like a joke sometimes:

Spoiler

Look at the average score! How many battles an average player has to play now to get 45k in Air Arcade? LOL!

3 Likes

Sadly, while I do understand making a free-to-play game just that tiny, but significant bit inconvenient in order to entice players to spend money, no amount of money spent in War Thunder can mitigate the problems the game has.

I gave up on the event after about 10 matchies when i noticed i would have to play for 10+ hrs a day straight for a vehicle that is no better than what what we all ready have. Those that are doing the event are going to be stocked. Im trying to keep an open mind but its typical gaijin guve a but and take a bit, no better than my governments budget.

Its getting to the point they want so much money that a little bit is not enough, you have to dump money to make it worth your time spending money.

1 Like

What a complete JOKE! I’m not an average player but I tried to warn about how recent events were pushing average players out due to the multipliers, without average players we won’t have a game to play. Remember this.

2 Likes

To be fair, both teams in this battle didn’t have that many kills, and some of these kills are surely shared.

There is also a bug that don’t give some players score for dying. It has to be related to a severe damage mechanics, because it was working fine yesterday (at least I didn’t notice any problems yesterday).

You can even see this problem in one of the screenshots I posted earlier today. So the score right now is really affected by this new system (that globally reduced the score with shared kills), less critical hits and sometimes no death scores, all at the same time. This explains why the scores are so low, you don’t really have to analyze anything to see a huge reduction.

It’s very strange that they decided to implement this system now, during the event. There was a risk that something would go wrong, and it did. At least in the case of death scores, this will surely be fixed in the future.

2 Likes

no good!

1 Like

Not strange to me, it’s intended.

Its broken, i got 2 kills then a severe on a b17E im waiting for it to die, i am also damaged but i am at 6km alt above my af, it eventually does with a message saying its wreaked so now i got 3 kills on score board, then match ends i look at final results and i have 2 kils + 1 severe and my plane has crashed.,in my battle reports i just have 600sl repair for my typhoon + 2kills

So which 1 is true

The new severe damage mechanics in screenshot:

Spoiler

I knew at some point I will see almost whole my plane black, and I’m still alive. I just didn’t expect this to happen so soon. The only ways for the enemies to kill me is sniping my pilot or tearing off my tail. This will cause a lot of situations like this one. I managed to kill several enemies in head-ons, when I was in this condition. Obviously my nameplate was still red, so they all attacked me in head-ons, because they didn’t know I pretty much can’t steer my plane anymore.

And to be honest, I could still get a few more black parts, right? The left wing is not fully black yet, the engine is not black. It will be funny to see a completely black plane, with just pilot being alive and the tail on its place.

It’s not “broken”, it’s exactly how this new mechanic should work. The quote from an article written by the devs:

If an aircraft is damaged to the extent where it would have been counted as being destroyed previously (…), this new mechanic will count it as severely damaged.

So everything is working as intended.

My suggestion is to just leave severely damaged planes. Don’t touch them anymore, your time is not worth that remaining 20%. Just focus on another enemy.