Responding to the Severe Damage feedback & release time

Oh dear, this is such an eye opener into why it isn’t working for SIM, because its made for RB/AB. In SIM I’d prefer to leave a good player to limp home injured because it’ll take him out of the match longer, if someone else wants to chase him for the kill then that’s on him, he’ll get dragged to the deck in enemy airspace and pay for his greed. Kill stealing has never been as much of a problem in SIM as it’s been made about here.

I’m also tired of spinning down from 3km with one wing missing at the root when it’s obvious I won’t pull out, before this update the game would consider me dead and kick ne out, now it’s just spinnig for 3 minutes.

How bout new players trying out sim? They get one shotted and killed from a glancing shot and never get the thrill of a fight and never come back.

I feel like the programmers have been forced to solve something by the company and gone full malicious compliance.

1 Like

Severe damage mechanism follows tighter standard for a complete kill than before.

For example, you could get a kill by applying 80~90 damage out of a 100 HP target, so if the target’s lucky enough, it could still fly and do some tricks with its 10~20 hp left.

However, severe damage mechanism requires 90~100 damage out of a 100 hp target for a kill. Applying 80~90 damage is now considered as a ‘severe damage’, and it doesn’t guarantee you a kill record anymore.

“Then do 90~100 damage to get a kill!” >>> It’s not really that simple because this game is not based on the simple HP mechanism. You could pour even more damage in this game, well let’s say 120~200 damage, on a 100 hp target and make it into a burning fireball which is obviously not airworthy anymore. But it’s still not counted as a kill if its pilot is still alive and its tail is still attached.

4c6c1a181f039496bd03de0ae94e985847a32a3c7c8ca581918bd28abe26ad97

Like this.

It actually allows more time and chances for the killstealers to simply put a spoon on it and take the kill record.

3 Likes

I really wish putting a plane on fire would guarantee a kill even if someone else finishes it off.

Like sure, don’t reward severe damage immeidately because you can put out. However, make it so that you still get “severely damaged kill counted” if someone else shoots a burning plane down.

A lot of planes got very limited ammo. A king cobra will run out of its shots very quickly if you waste them for instance. Why should the cobra linger and risk getting third partied and waste their small ammo count after the enemy started smoking to get proper kill credit?

Even if the enemy did put the flames out, them being on fire has likely incapacitated them for its duration as they tried to snuff it out by turning off engine or rapidly pitching up/down. It makes sense to get “severely damaged kill counted” during this period.

2 Likes

Even back in WWII there was methods for eliminating fires.

Feathering and diving during a flameout could put the fires out. Which you can do in the game. Having someone catch you on fire shouldn’t just be a kill unless it actually does incapacitate the crew or burns down the plane.

2 Likes

Yes, it shouldn’t be a kill.

But if a teammate shoots them down while burning, the kill credit should go to the person who ignited them.

2 Likes

Nah, absolutely not. As soon as I catch fire, I shut off all engines on the plane. I then proceed into a dive. If I have fire suppression I activate that. I’m able to put out a lot of fires. Then depending on the damage I keep fighting or fly back for repairs.

I’ve managed to stay in the fight and still do good work after catching fire before.

Pretty sure that it’s basically RNG whether a fire goes out, just how it’s RNG whether a round starts a fire.

The whole mechanic is very poorly modeled, no physics or anything applies.

You get hit in the bottom of a tank by a .50cal API and your plane burns down, even though that wouldn’t happen in RL unless in specific instances.

Of course we don’t need super realistic damage model but at least the ammo should work in such way that it emulates realistic performance, which isn’t really the case in the game.
To this day 20mm rounds are simply worse in setting fires than .50cals, even when they are both the same type of ammo and the 20mm carries more incendiary content.

While explosive and AP rounds go up in damage with caliber, it’s not the case for incendiary or explosive-incendiary rounds.

A .50cal M23 Incendiary bullet with 5.83g of flash powder has a higher fire chance than a 23mm API that has the same amount.

But since the M23 doesn’t penetrate and just makes a tiny poof, it’s practically useless as ammo over .50cal API.

Also a case of bad ammo modeling.

1 Like

I just looked to see if my experience was just one off. I looked and it is definitely a modeled feature, cutting engine power and diving is the way to go. If the fire is not too severe you can kill it this way.

I don’t often stick up for Gaijin but this is one thing they have done correctly. It shouldn’t just be a free kill “just because”.

I’m actually sick of this. The damage modelling used to be so good, you could tell what you got hit by- 12mms holes, 20mm holes, now it’s always a wing ripped off at the root. And the game would J you out with this much damage, now it’s a puke ride to the deck.

This is an interesting change to the severe damage mechanics. I haven’t tested this yet, but now both players (severe damage and finisher) should get a full kill credit, including the service records kill credit.

I know many players wanted it, so here it is. I just wonder will it affect the BR changes. There is a chance more popular planes will increase their BRs in the next BR changes, as their efficiency will increase (they will get more kills than before). Time will tell, but at least the full kill credit matter (which was definitely controversial) has now been resolved.

2 Likes

I doubt it will have any effect. As all it does is fix a feature that was stated to be part of the severe damage system

1 Like

Maybe someone could make this complicated discussion simple for me…when i get a sever damage kill I should be happy because…go…tell me why I should like this.

efficiency isn’t counted on K/D ratios. its based on earned SL/RP per spawn.

2 Likes

for challenges/quests/vehicle skins/etc

You might want to check this post:

So in this example i was rewarded with an inflated mission score - but not with the SL for a kill - i got only 80%…

Yeah, to be honest, after reading their efficiency explanation, this is how I understand this as well.

Just to show what we are talking about here:

Before they wrote this, I was always wondering why SL/RP gains in service records only include SL/RP from actions. SL/RP from mission rewards are not included there. From the players perspective, this doesn’t make sense, because action rewards is just the part of the rewards. And after 2021 economy changes, it’s usually the smaller part too (at least from the RP perspective).

But since they admit they use actions as main balancing factor, this explains why these columns exist in the current form. It even make sense to be honest, because not every vehicle base on pure K:D (e.g. bombers). So while you can compare two fighters by their K:D, it would make no sense to compare a fighter to a bomber purely by their K:D.

So these two columns aren’t very useful for players (they only show partial rewards), but they are used by the devs. What I don’t understand is why these columns include premium account bonuses, in my opinion they shouldn’t. But that’s another topic.

This still doesn’t change the fact the severe damage mechanics affects these stats. But I agree kill credit in the service record doesn’t mean anything, if SL/RP columns are the most important for vehicles balancing.

1 Like

true, but it should affect all vehicles equally.

it means that challenges, quests, vehicle skins and things like that now progress faster for everyone.

This is not correct. For example, let’s think about this situation:

You have a plane with bad guns. In the old system destruction of the enemy plane gave you 100% rewards. In the new system only 80% (so your rewards are reduced). At the same time, it will be very hard for you to finish the target with bad guns.

You have a plane with good guns. In the new system it will be much easier for you to kill the target immediately, and you will also get more opportunities to finish other players targets (and “steal” part of their rewards).

What I’m saying is that some specific planes can increase their efficiency with the severe damage mechanics, and this can lead to their BR changes.

I meant that you are correct and from the BR balancing perspective K:D in the service records shouldn’t matter. Assuming we understand the efficiency in a correct way (based on the quote from my previous post).

2 Likes

Yeah but all that existed before when a kill was just a kill

but now two players get it instead of one. its going to make completion of those faster and easier.