PUMA is now more than a year in War thunder and there is still no working AHEAD

Well WT doesn’t simulate perforation at all.
& why penetration values are used for us.
If a round would perforate, it just non-pens.

Do you mean like this?

Spoiler

https://youtu.be/lFIRYoUDYTU?t=19

or more like the thing T34s would do where the round would shatter but internal spalling would happen because brittle armor?

1 Like

Yeah, that.
That’s my understanding thus far.

It also doesn’t simulate the usage of Line of Sight perforation, utilising only flat perforation numbers (hence why the thread about Russian armours was made, if the game was using LoS perforation, their armour would be nothing special, this would be far less relevant for NATO tanks due to their greater reliance on flatter surfaces and generally NATO rating their numbers for flat perforation performance anyways).

1 Like

WT would be the first game to simulate perforation the moment it starts doing so.
It’s probably needed at some point, but I think there are more important issues.
Including the primary topic of this thread.

As far as I know, Steel Beasts and GHPC already simulate it. Therefore WT would only the third game to use such a “mechanic”.

Most of this thread is off topic LOL

Anyway why not just give it VT fuze and subtract like 1 or 2 seconds for it to spew its spall everywhere and call it a day? Seems that would be close enough to whatever fancy system they used for now while Gaijin does their thing making it actually work.

Anyway why not just give it VT fuze and subtract like 1 or 2 seconds for it to spew its spall everywhere and call it a day? Seems that would be close enough to whatever fancy system they used for now while Gaijin does their thing making it actually work.

1. Tech mods (David_Bowie was the first to do so however) stated there are no plans for it.
  2. Gaijin is very selective about which vehicle will receive “artificial buffs” - see the French Eurocopters, none of them were ever capable of guiding the HOT-3 due to lack of Osiris Aiming Sight the UHT has, in fact HOT missiles weren’t even listed on their loadouts. RadKampfWagen whose turret did not even work in real life, or Yak-141 that never had IRST to my knowledge.
  3. I’ve no idea why not - but it’s Gaijin, they work in mysterious ways.
1 Like

eh, I don’t really mind those artificial buffs, but would making it a VT shell even be a buff? seems more like a bandage until they can fix it for real.

1 Like

If they adjusted it for the weight of the tungsten pellets, yes. Cus then it would have around ~140 to ~160g of TNT equivalent, putting it just below the 40mm HE-VT rounds in terms of AA performance.

It would be a massive improvement, since at the moment, you basically need to hit your target dead centre for AHEAD to do any sort of meaningful damage.

Well its supposed to spew the pellets everywhere prior to impact right? Sure its a buff in-game but it would be far more correct than requiring the main round to impact the target

Its also missing like 20-30mm of pen, making it substantially less reliable vs light targets

Gaijin are aware but intentionally leave it out because they want lower spalling. Spalling is a soft stat that Gaijin is very comfortable playing with. I remember they’ve artificially increased the spall after gun mantlet penetration on leopards because they were generally hard to penetrate.

1 Like

at worst they can give to PUMA and i mean at worst is replace AHEAD with VT and call it a day

1 Like

That’s not how spalling works at all.
Spalling isn’t a characteristic that can be edited from vehicle to vehicle.
It’s a universal simulation that takes into account many aspects.

Gaijin does not simulate this realistically, but rather the way it wants, which is NOT realistic, hence the massive disparity between realistic scenarios that we see happening IRL, and what happens in WT where sometimes a certain round penetrates armor it shouldn’t penetrate, or doesn’t penetrate something it should, sometimes with a disparity in the region of hundreds of mm.
Gaijin also doesn’t take any concrete piece of data regarding spall reduction. Any round creates a set amount of spall, and various protection methods can reduce it. By lowering protection values, Gaijin inflates spalling for certain vehicles.