PLAAF General Discussion

I did hear there is a sort of MLU project although I think it is more about being compatiable with new domestic weapons.

I mean you can type than on an English keyboard |

I just found it when I using Chinese, but my keyboard config is english since I bought it in UK.

J-15B spotted during trials with what looks like WS-10 engines:

Spoiler

A heads up to everybody: We now have the Sino-military discord invite available to anybody that feels like joining.

3 Likes

Would it have thrust vectoring or is that only on special versions of the ws-10?

As far as we know it wouldn’t. Also it’s not a given that the J-15B will mount the WS engines and might rely on the AL-31s.
The main reason would be, depending on how many orders, that the AL-31s might be more cost effective. Ofc, if the PLAN was to replace the old J-15s with the B version that would already be 60~ orders by default, not considering the Fujian air group. WS engines would have more thrust and would be more reliable, so they could end up being more cost efficient in the longer run.

Is there a visual way to tell between the thrust vectoring ws-10’s and the regular ones?

It seems that they not only unlocked R77 on SU-27s

1 Like

Pretty much look at the nozzle, the only TVC engine that we’ve seen (indigenous) was this one on the J-10B demonstrator. It has quite a distinctive look.
IMG_7474

1 Like

Has anything else ever used it? Seems like a waste to design a thrust vectoring system for your main workhorse engine and then not use it.

So far it hasn’t been used, TVC has its upsides and downsides, they maybe preferred to avoid TVC on the further implementations of the engines. It remains to see if WS-15s (J-20A engines) will have TVC but it seems like it won’t.

That’s only spotted on a modified J10B which has modified avionics. It proves to be possible but no more than that, this is the 003 aircraft carrier J15 I believe which has reinforced landing gear to allow catapult takeoff.

Well if China gave up the entire idea of dogfighting like J20 doesn’t even have a gun then thrust vectoring will have marginal use anyways.

TL;DR (just 2D TVC)

• IR signature reduction
  • Stealth (maneuvering without using control surfaces)
  • Engine TBO
  • Thrust

(+ as in helps and - as the negative)

JL-10G is phased array right?

no gunpod?

Should be able to carry them on external ones, but they’ve mostly carried fuel tanks and I don’t see the point if you can carry 4 if not more PL15s.

https://community.gaijin.net/issues/p/warthunder/i/eB3YTgc2Tkw0

1 Like
Spoiler

New image of the GJ-11 flying