PGM-1-class Motor Gunboat - "Outrun, but not Outgunned"

Would you like to see the PGM-1-class motor gunboat in game?
  • Yes, as a tech tree vehicle
  • Yes, as a premium vehicle
  • Yes, as an event vehicle
  • Yes, as a squadron vehicle
  • No, I would not like to see the PGM-1-class motor gunboat in game.
0 voters

n3EfX7D.png

PGM-2 underway. Side view shows her impressive array of weaponry. The SC-497 type hull shape is evident.

History

Patrol Gunboat, Motor (PGM) Nos. 1-8 were motor gunboat conversions of the SC-497-class (submarine chaser) hull currently represented in game by SC-497. Most of the tall superstructure was cut down, and various weapon emplacements were added on the main deck. This conversion could in theory be carried out on any SC hull, but only eight were made. The main reason for this appears to be the vessel’s lack of speed. PT boat commanders in the Pacific theater were eager to get some heavier duty backup, but when the PGMs arrived, they were too slow to keep up with the fast vessels’ operations. With their original purpose out of the question, the PGMs were repurposed to intercept enemy shipping and provide fire support for landing operations. Out of the eight PGM-1-class vessels, only one was lost: PGM-7 was rammed by PGM-4 without loss of life.

Armament was strong, with four twin .50 caliber mountings amidships, one 40mm Bofors gun aft, and a choice of a Bofors gun or a 3"/23 cannon on the bow. I believe this would be a good addition to support America’s coastal forces. The player would be able to decide what bow gun to take, and the secondary armaments would protect them well against low flying aircraft and lighter targets.

Specifications

PGM-1-class Motor Gunboats

Dimensions:

• Length: 110 feet (33.5 m)
  • Beam: 18 feet (5.5 m)
  • Draught: 6 feet 9 inches (2.1 m)

Displacement: 108 tons loaded

Crew: 28 (3 officers, 25 enlisted)

Propulsion: 2 x G.M. Diesel engines driving two propellers (1,200 hp each, 2,400 hp total)

Max speed: 19 kt (35.2 km/h)

Range: 2,890 miles (4,650 km) at 10 kt (18.5 km/h)

Armament:

• Forward:
    • 1 x 1 3"/23 76mm dual-purpose cannon
      OR
    • 1 x 1 Bofors 40mm autocannon
  • Aft:
    • 1 x 1 Bofors 40mm autocannon
  • Amidships:
    • 4 x 2 M2 .50 caliber machine gun
  • Additional:
    • 1 x 1 60mm mortar

Armor:

• Gun shields: 1/4" (6.4 mm)
  • Control station: 1/4" (6.4 mm)

Additional equipment:

• 2 x FM (titanium tetrachloride) smoke generator
  • SG Radar

Sources:

• ONI 226: Allied Landing Craft and Ships. Office of Naval Intelligence (1944)
  • U.S. Small Combatants: An Illustrated Design History by Norman Friedman (1987)
  • Allied Coastal Forces of World War II: Volume I, Fairmile Designs and U.S. Submarine Chasers by Lambert and Ross (1994)
  • Motor Gunboat Index

2 Likes

My god the French coastal tree which is so much more of a priority…

1 Like