Panavia Tornado (UK versions) - Technical data and discussion

It’s 1 key bind, like, come on now.

Eh… which I did, but if you have a skyflash in flight, that breaks the lock and it self-destructs. Though how do you actually manually swap the TWS between modes?

If it has no standard PD mode, it does not have all-aspect look down detection. “HDN” mode describes a high-PRF radar which primarily is best used in head-on conditions. A maneuvering target will make you useless in look-down (ground clutter) conditions with that for the most part.

Has TWS, SRC, PD and PDV. Tried to use PD ACM in headons, but same result. Missile slams into the ground or self destructs most of the time

If this is in reference to Tornado; its HPRF mode is about as close to MPRF as you can get in terms of all aspect performance.

Is that real life discussion or are we talking about the in-game modeling? Because it’s clear it lost lock on side / rear aspect targets easily in-game.

For tornado, as soon as the target begins to flash, switch to Pulse mode. This is only a relatively small window where the targets closure is within ±30m/s of your speed where this is necessary, in most other conditions the HPRF mode is more than capable

Hard to do in sim.

1 Like

Should apply to both.

This is why we need 2 player aircraft. The radar is way too fiddly to actually use and try to fly at the same time.

I don’t have that issue with the F-14 which seems equally “complicated”… just need to get used to it and know how / when to use each mode.

1 Like

It’s really not that fiddly, you only need 1 Radar search mode, PD HDN. And then once tracking, if the target notches switch track mode to pulse.

1 Like

hangon… PD HDN and Pulse are 2 different modes?

I thought they are the same thing?

Oh boy, no, PD HDN is the high PRF pulse Doppler search more, using FMICW for Tornado. Pulse is the non-PD mode without chaff rejection.

Pulse is only really to be used in the notch, because its chaff resistance is poor.

So PD HDN is the TWS mode and Pulse is the SRC mode?

Pulse is the SRC mode, Pulse Doppler is the PD HDN mode. TWS is a separate thing I wouldn’t really work about.

Yep, okay that makes sense.

In that missile shot [0.37] , im in normal ACM mode, so pulse (at least I assume thats pulse), the target doesnt appear to drop an CMs. It’s rear/side aspect. So I imagine ideally I’d use pulse not PD in that situation.

Why does my Skyflash decide to go on strike or is this just a “WT moment”

Here it says TRK, this means the target is locked in pulse mode, which means it has no chaff resistance.

If it says TRK PD, the target is locked in PD mode, it can be notched, but is resistant to chaff.

You will want to set a key bind that can switch between TRK and TRK PD.

PD is the mode you will want to stay in unless/until you get notched. (Admittedly until the hud radar indicators are added it’s abit harder in SB to know when to switch)

Important thing to note is, although you may have a solid lock, in skyflashes current state; it might not be able to track the target. This has been reported:

https://community.gaijin.net/issues/p/warthunder/i/tkBEwJJFViYj