Panavia Tornado (UK versions) - Technical data and discussion

Sadly ripple firing makes them all arrive at once thanks to speed bleed and stuff.

It does have some cool potential for sneaky attacks though, you can pop up and set target point on something, then dip down and reposition. You can fire from behind cover cause the target point is remembered and the missile lofts. Then you pop up a few seconds before the missile will land for the final lase (assuming it’s a fairly stationary target).

Spoiler

As I tried out here:
https://youtu.be/u-z0FNOFjGk

The Brimstone also has less INS drift than the Hellfire, 2 vs 3.5 I think

1 Like

What resolution should it be?

Currently it seems to be about the same as TIALD

Litening II is Gen 2 thermals (Which is what TIALD should be) with better zoom over TIALD.
Litening III is Gen 3 with better zoom again

Anyone know if the Missing Hindenburg tanks have actually been reported for the remaining Tornados, including the Tornado Gr4?

I’ve found one by John for the Gr1, but never got forwarded

https://community.gaijin.net/issues/p/warthunder/i/J25cO7aZFq7y

1 Like

seeing as we know the GR.4 can use the brimstone racks on the wings, is there any chance of using this to increase paveway carriage on it? assuming the caption is correct ofc (Brimstone Guided Missile - Think Defence)

1 Like

Brimstones are meant to have a range greater than about 13-14km right?

In test flight, when fired at 20km, they self destruct about 7ish KM from the target. Is this due to an incorrect speed or is this a guidance time issue. I hope its the former, becaues 70+ seconds to guide the missile beyond the range of most SPAA is rather brutal.

Also… They may be controversial… for the intended role, but brimstones might actually be an effective A2A weapon

potentially both, good luck getting solid/official data on the range and motor. Increasing the missile lifetime would be nice though.

what on Earth makes you say that?

Yeah, I imagine, but yeah, just needs another 20 seconds I reckon

messing around in test flight. Especially if they are too slow. Vs an evading target, might be a different story, but they certainly wouldnt be affected by flares.

Brimstones also appear to loft quite well when fired at low alt, which does look pretty, even if firing them like this is a bit of a waste except when taking out a single target like a Pantsir

Spoiler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shpgGNrEbkU

3 Likes

My god, its beautiful… you got any videos of it against ground? I cant access the dev rn and would love to see them work (if they do lol, i heard they have a 60 second timer).

Im hoping the timer is just a copy over from the hellfire as it seems its labeled as N/A in the files so it might have defaulted to hellfire time… Hopefully.

I shall boot it back up and get a clip for you but in short… yeah, past about 14km, the missile times out and doesnt impact.

You didnt have to do it now but i appreciate it, thanks.

Also, anyone else noticed they increased the amount of chaff in the BOZ pods to 600? I hope their not changing them to medium caliber caff instead of our large.

Still large on the dev server. But yeah, thought it was 320 large or 600 standard but not going to tell them that. GR1 with 1200 large calibre chaff is really funny

Thats 1200 seconds (20 minutes lol) of constant chaff, i would like to see a pantsir even try and hit me.

Unfortunately, doesnt impact the IRST, but apparently flares work quite well for that. Im hoping in GRB (if I bother to try and use it in GRB) that 1x MAWS will have good enough coverage to allow for 1x BOZ to still be run then you can just drop a mass of flares and chaff and have MAWS to warn you of a launch that your RWR cant detect.

is the hms display on the tornado just the basic bluefor display or did it get its historical crosshair

There you go, I suck at maintaining the lock, especially with mouse aim (more use to doing it with HOTAS, but CBA to set that up). But I think might work well in hit and run strafes.

Just the standard dot for now

1 Like

Along with bol, it should make for a pretty cool fireworks show.