Panavia Tornado (UK versions) - Technical data and discussion

I have the same interpretation, this would be the best case scenario for us too…

Thanks for sharing Flame, was the 2G radar first used pre, during, or post Granby?

No really I think that’s just a coincidence. The Panavia news letter seems to be unrelated to the combat throttle setting.

Stage 2G was post-Granby.

Im referring to this. Basic combat thrust gives us 16,500lbf, there is then a further switch for +24 TBT which gives an extra 3%

Which gives a 8.15% compound improvement

Though you appear to have a 4% improvement here?

Combat Throttle setting is approximately 16,500 lb according to the tactics manual (the exact value being 16,523 lb if you listen to the Panavia newsletter). The Granby +24 setting gives either a 3% or 5% improvement over combat, depending on what source you listen to, so I called it a 4% average improvement.

The increase from 15,736 lb to 16,500 lb also being ~5% is a con-incidence as far as I’m concerned.

Yes, im using that 5% sourced mathmatically. But either way if we low ball and say 3% for granby, the total thrust improvement from the basic 15736(which we should really have in game, or close to it), would be 17000lbf

Anyway bit of thermofluids.
Both TBT increases are close at 23 and 24 Kelvin respectively. Their individual increases, whether thats using combat thrust, or reheat in granby will be close, we could assume approximately 5% here because that would satisfy both sources. However the further TBT increase will have a reduced affect, giving a lower further improvement in the realm of 3%. That gives a compound improvement of 8%, however assuming the 7% you mentioned is sources we should use that.
That gives a granby combat of 16837lbf.
A standard combat of 16500lbf
A granby reheat of again 16500lbf
And then original reheat of 15736lbf

We currently have 7,300 kg thrust in game, which is 16,094 lb. The flight manual gives a minimum thrust value of 15,736 lb. IIRC the minimum thrust value for Tornado is considered to be about 1.5% lower than the average thrust value, so that puts the average thrust at about 16,000 lb. So in game thrust is close enough to the likely real value.

Was the flight data for a min spec or real thrust… cause usually it’s min spec?

The Martels that can be fitted to the Tornado Gr1. Were they part of the Tornado Gr1B modification?

My opinion 2 Tornado GR.4 after Tornado GR1 at rank 8 ~ 9

Tornado GR.4 (2001) (rank VII) 11.3 BR (Air AB, Air RB & Air SB) and 12.7 BR (Ground RB)

Weapons

• 27 mm Mauser cannon
  • 2 x AIM-9L
  • Mk.13/18 Paveway II Laser Guided Bomb
  • GBU-24 Paveway III Laser Guided Bomb
  • ALARM Blk.1 anti-radiation missile
  • TALD 400 targeting pod

Countermeasures

• 2 x BOL 304 dispensers (320 flares / chaff total)

Tornado GR.4 (2011) (rank IX) 12.7 BR (Air AB, Air RB & Air SB) and 13.3 or 13.7 BR (Ground RB)

Weapons

• 27 mm Mauser cannon
  • 2 x AIM-9L & ASRAAM
  • Enhanced Paveway II GPS-Laser Guided Bomb
  • Enhanced Paveway III GPS-Laser Guided Bomb
  • EGBU-24 Paveway II GPS-Laser Guided Bomb
  • Paveway IV GPS-Laser Guided Bomb
  • ALARM Blk.2 anti-radiation missile
  • Brimstone (Legacy Brimstone, Dual Mode Brimstone & Brimstone 2) air-to-ground missile
  • Storm Shadow cruise missile
  • Litening III targeting pod

Countermeasures

• 2 x BOL 304 dispensers (320 flares / chaff total)
  • 1 x BOZ-107 pod (28 flares & 600 chaff) - it seems carrying 2 is possible (so 56 flares & 1,200 chaff total)
  • 1 x TERMA Modular Countermeasures Pod (240 flares / chaff + AN/AAR-57 MAWS)
  • BriteCloud active radar decoys

Been thinking about premiums we could get.

Does anyone know if Saudi Arabias Tornado ADVs were ever equipped with AMRAAM? or did they only use Skyflash?

All the pictures ive seen of them show only sparrows.
images-82
operations_sa_02adv

1 Like

I doubt AMRAAM

Looked into this awhile back, seems they didn’t buy any upgrades for their F.3’s much like the Italians, Saudi’s did keep one squadron around until around 2006~ similar to the Italian 2004~. Before replacing them with EFT’s.

1 Like

The F.3 with Sf Supertemp isn’t so bad in SB, depending on bracket.

Played it in a 10.7-11.7 bracket the other day. 10 ai kills, 5 player.

Played it yesterday but there were none of those brackets, so played it in 11.7-12.7 and it didn’t go so well.

Also interesting,

At 2:56, F3 with pods on outer pylons.
And is that an ASRAAM & Skyflash combo?

That is ASRAAM and SuperTEMP, interesting. Given the fitting I put this around 1999~ for the Kosovo War.

And wingtip pods