Panavia Tornado (UK versions) - Technical data and discussion

Unfortunately, this is semi accurate to IRL. AMRAAM and maybe even ASRAAM on the Tornado will help, but alas until we get the EF Typhoon, Britain wont be truly competitve again.

So IRL the Tornado couldnt radar lock anything past 19KM?

That… is another matter entirely. Best bet, if you can, get some replay footage and save your log files. Gunjob is a lot more qualified than I am to comment on that.

Though on a personal note, I’ve essentially given up with the Tornado F3 at the moment. It still feels fairly underpowered, especially at 11.7 in SB

Its underpowered because the meta in this game is low alt dogfighting, when in reality, combat would be at higher alt and the vast majority of kills would be with missiles. In this game missiles are kind of a joke if you know basic missile and radar mechanics. turn 90 degrees to dodge a radar missile, press one button to dodge a heatseeker. So Planes that were designed to be “missile busses” end up entirely depending on the enemies lack of awareness to do well.

So what exactly is “semi accurate to IRL”?

That britain sucks.

That part, Britains only A2A fighter, especially after the SHar FA2 was retired, was the Tornado F3, and it was technically an interceptor. It was best suited for missions like QRA and CAP. The kind of Furball seen in ARB is not suited for many jets at the moment, perticularly the F3.

The RAF was always perticuarly weak in the 1980s/1990s, with a few exceptions such as the Tornado Gr1 deployment in Iraq where it was perticuarly well suited for the kind of missions that needed to be conducted and the deployment of JP233s. It wasn’t until the early 2000s and the introduction of the EF Typhoon that britain actually got its teeth back.

The SHar FA2 might give britain a worthy BR 12 ish jet with AMRAAM, but I dont think we’ll ever truly compete with other nations in direct combat in something like ARB until the EF Typhoon

Yeah, all this I agree. This is why I exclusively play SB these days. Its not quite as bad, and you can employ the F3 in a more realistic manner.Though I still prefer the Gr1

I play Mirage 2000-5f and you can destroy 1x base and take 2x Super 530D, but for the first few tries I killed myself due to no time fuze. :(

I’ve killed myself a few times on them as well. I think its deploy and pull up. They dont really fall away, prehaps they need a delayed start to their motor. So they drop for a few seconds like a bomb, and then fire

My default with deploying Bombs is to drop and then pull hard to get out of the area. With PGMs… That same maneuver hits the PGMs

In game, PGM is a missile, like AGM-65.
means that a 50% chance it will explode in the air.

Because I am a giant dum dum. We do have a bomb fall line, but I think the issue is that unlike in the Gr7 and Jaguar Gr1, where it originats from the CCRP target point. In the Tornado Gr1, it originates from the central point. So when you pull back on the stick, the cross you can see (CCRP Target point) vanishes and you have no way of knowning alignment. My guess then is that this line is suppose to be from CCRP Target point instead. As we have on the Jag and Gr7. Either way, very much interested in what your research turns up. Definetly think there some form of missing symbology

Reference images

Jaguar Gr1a

Harrier Gr7

For both, the bomb fall line remains, no matter of attitude. Allowing for CCRP alignment when lofting (though it is vastly easier on the Jaguar Gr1a compared to the Gr7 due to design)

I assume you are referring to the Tornado F.3?

That appears to just the number of search bars being increased. No change to the horizontal search area.

I’m locking targets out to around 90km so I don’t what issue your running into

Of course it can. I don’t you what you’re doing wrong but the Tornado F.3 can lock all the way out to 150km+

To clarify terminology: it seems the Harrier and Jaguar use a track line / azimuth steering line (basically a line telling you where you need to fly) where as the Tornado uses a bomb fall line (basically a line showing you where your bombs will fall)

From a cursory glance it seems the Tornado HUD symbology may be correct in how the line is presented. However in real life the Tornado pilot could use the autopilot to keep the bomb fall line aligned with the target marker. Alternatively if the autopilot wasn’t used then there was “flight director” symbology on the HUD which told the pilot how to steer (it also told you when to start pulling up).

The symbology looks like this:

Spoiler

Tornado F.3 can lock all the way out to 150km+

Personally I never seem to pick anything up at more than 90 km. But that’s still far more than enough for War Thunder purposes.

1 Like

“That britain sucks.”
Cant say I agree, especially when there are things Gaijin can do to make Britain more competitive. Britain is bad in this game because Gaijin want them to be, just look at the Chally 2’s turret, the fact that the Tornado F3’s radar does not work, the fact that the British premium phantom has worse missiles, no slats, no HMD compared to the Yankee one yet sits at the same BR, while Gaijin flat out refuse to add aim9L’s to British phantoms despite the fact that the Yank ones would still be better because of aim7Fs. Gaijin WANT Britain to perform badly, it should be obvious to anyone at this point. See also, subsonic harrier gr7 with 4 missiles that can be dodged with the press of a button, sitting at 11.7. Its a complete joke.

2 Likes

Since being changed to the Stage 2G the radar is very good.

Indeed, are we expecting any azimuth changes?

What do you mean, it works great and is easily the best HPRF radar in the game.