Panavia Tornado (UK versions) - Technical data and discussion

I thinks it’s very much loadout dependent

Still doesn’t appear to approach 800kts when clean.

Depends on external stores, a clean GR1 will have no issue getting up to 700kts.

Yes, but what I stated was that it should be doing 800+ (the flight manual stated not to exceed 800 - in the video his exact words are “I won’t admit to exceeding 800”)

Without AB? Also what fuel load you got?

With AB… it won’t hit 700 without AB because you need it to exceed mach. Minimum fuel.

800kts

Isn’t that F3?

This is an F.3. I have seen other pilots claim approaching or passing 850 and 900 (which the F.3 in game won’t even approach) - I have seen the exact words “The fastest NATO Fighter @ LL”

2 Likes

At sea level? Without damage I doubt it.

Whether they were damaged i’m not sure, but it was claimed that it would not out-accelerate an F-16, but outrun it at sea level.

In the section of the video you linked Dave mentions at 2000ft he was going 802kts in an F.3 which is possible in game.

Correct. I will see if I can find the other claims.

https://www.pprune.org/archive/index.php/t-102450.html Here it is. Archived 03 forum. Claims include:

825 @ LL on the FGR.2
Tornado F.3 from 250kts to 750kts in <30s
Tornado F.3 @ 870 with missiles, 900 clean @ LL
Tornado F.3 M2.1 @ 43k
Tornado F.3 M1.8 @ 6k (jesus christ!)

These were all apparently far beyond what you were meant to be doing.

6 Likes

Yeah these claims are largely useless. And impossible to verify.

Correct but I find it unreasonable that an interceptor, based off an aircraft designed for high speed @ LL, with improved engines would still be slower than aircraft which do not have any of that in mind.

We do have official acceleration times for the F.3;

“Low altitude acceleration is excellent” is not reflected in game, where just about every other aircraft of it’s era will beat it to supersonic speeds…

1 Like

“Excellent” compared to what? To what standard? Its just a statement with nothing to back it up.

“Excellent” would logically mean superior to the previous and/or contemporary aircraft, no? It would make no sense that the F.3 would be slower than the FGR.2

It’s also important that when using things like WTRTI, i notice that as I approach the in-game “top speed” the thrust seems to drop significantly for seemingly no reason? If the thrust was maintained I would expect it would be reaching those claims.

I will test again to see if this has changed.

2 Likes